Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Swedish Fredrik Handemark 1x$792.5k

JBeast

Oct 22, 2007
Skellefteå
From what Ive read he plays like Soderberg, big guy. Also his stats are bad because his team is awful

Händemark got less skill then Söderberg, but he's better defensively.

Seems like a solid signing for the Sharks 4th line.

To me, who has watched Händemark and Kellman in the SHL for a couple of years. There's no question that I'd rather have Händemark on my team. In my eyes hes way better. No guarantee for him to make it in the NHL tho.

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

To me, who has watched Händemark and Kjellman in the SHL for a couple of years. There's no question that I'd rather have Händemark on my team. In my eyes hes way better. No guarantee for him to make it in the NHL tho.
It seems as if the Sharks have three, if not more, 4th line centers that appear ready to play in the NHL next year. Depth is nice and all to combat injuries, but not sure how they balance the playing time of Handemark, Kellman, and True. Add Letunov and Gambrell to the mix and things get even more dicey in terms of quantity of players pegged into one particular roster spot.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

To me, who has watched Händemark and Kellman in the SHL for a couple of years. There's no question that I'd rather have Händemark on my team. In my eyes hes way better. No guarantee for him to make it in the NHL tho.

Soderberg at his best was a legit 2nd-line winger, and even after some decline was a bonafide third-liner.

If you think Händemark is a"way better" than Kellman, do you think that Kellman doesn't really have an NHL future?

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Soderberg at his best was a legit 2nd-line winger, and even after some decline was a bonafide third-liner.

If you think Händemark is a"way better" than Kellman, do you think that Kellman doesn't really have an NHL future?
I found Kellman to be a decent centerman, didnt ever blow me away but was pretty error free and decent skater. If Handemark is better than Id expect he could be a third liner or maybe even turn out as a Donskoi

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I found Kellman to be a decent centerman, didnt ever blow me away but was pretty error free and decent skater. If Handemark is better than Id expect he could be a third liner or maybe even turn out as a Donskoi
Kellman is a 13F on a decent team. Just looking at his underlying numbers, he got absolutely destroyed from a possession standpoint. He can fill a role and is a guy that you like to have in the system over the course of an 82 game season where injuries are abundant, but I don't think he is anything more than a mediocre 4C that can PK a little bit. Would like to see one of Handemark or True take that job this season over Kellman. That said, Boughner seems to love Kellman so it may be a Melker situation but with a new coach.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
According to my Google feed, one of your signings looks like PM Trudeau.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200504_193041.jpg
    Screenshot_20200504_193041.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 10

JBeast

Oct 22, 2007
Skellefteå

I guess that I was a bit unclear about that I just didn't like the Söderberg/Händemark comparison. Söderberg has way more skill, and Händemark plays with more grit and physicality.

Kellman is a decent hockeyplayer.
To me tho, playing on a 4th line with limited minutes, lets just say that in my eyes Händemark might be suited better for that.

Händemark has good size and likes to use his size to win the puck. Ok speed for his size, stickhandling and passing is meh, shot is not good.

JBeast

Oct 22, 2007
Skellefteå

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Yes, somtimes K is pronounced like sh. But sometimes it isn't.

Tbh to me as a swede it's a bit weird that Kellman is pronounced as it is. Would be more logical if spelled Kjellman or Källman.

According to Aftonbladet, Kellman might be on his way back to europe.

Link in swedish.
tps://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/Adyxjz/avslojar-svensk-toppcenter-aktuell-for-shl
English translation from Google below:

After he started in the AHL and accounted for 16 points in 25 games, Joel Kellman was called up to San Jose and scored with seven points (three goals and four assists) in 31 games before the season quickly ended.

But there is no continuation in California. On the one hand, the contract expires, and on the other, San Jose has acquired Fredrik Händemark from Malmö, which makes the competitive situation even tougher for Kellman.

Instead, he looks towards Europe. Both Switzerland and Russia are hot alternatives, but due to the corona situation, both markets are more uncertain than normal.

In SHL many teams are chasing a new first center: HV71, Rögle, Malmö and Örebro are some clubs that are on the hunt. Kellman has previously played for both Malmö and HV71.

Confirm move

Kellman's agent Johan Altberg confirms that the eyes are now directed towards Europe, but otherwise few words.

- What I can say is that we look at the possibilities for Joel in Europe. Then we get to see what it lands in, says Johan Altberg.

Is SHL an alternative?

- As I said before, we look at all Joel's opportunities in Europe including SHL.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
That's too bad but we do have a bit of a surplus of 4th liners. I fully expect True, Letunov, and Handemark to get first crack at that spot

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
That's too bad but we do have a bit of a surplus of 4th liners. I fully expect True, Letunov, and Handemark to get first crack at that spot
I fully support this decision on his end. Not much of a Kellman fan as I think he is essentially Melker Karlsson at center (right position consistently but not ever going to do much with it). Have a lot of potential 4C's that can make that line more dynamic and tougher to play against. Would guess something like Gregor-Handemark-Noesen has a very good chance of being the opening night 4th line and I would be very happy with that group. Then have Bergmann, True, Letunov, Viel, etc. waiting in the wings as injury replacements.

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
I guess that I was a bit unclear about that I just didn't like the Söderberg/Händemark comparison. Söderberg has way more skill, and Händemark plays with more grit and physicality.

Kellman is a decent hockeyplayer.
To me tho, playing on a 4th line with limited minutes, lets just say that in my eyes Händemark might be suited better for that.

Händemark has good size and likes to use his size to win the puck. Ok speed for his size, stickhandling and passing is meh, shot is not good.

Thank you for all this Sweed intel. Small kind excited about Handemark. I did like Kellman, mostly due to his low errors and smooth style, but obviously he isn’t going to be much more than he is at this marker. If Handemark proves to be strong in the circle and can handle defensively it would be a very big add, that’s exactly what we need out of 4th line specialty player and for free.

Reactions: JBeast

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Yes, somtimes K is pronounced like sh. But sometimes it isn't.

Tbh to me as a swede it's a bit weird that Kellman is pronounced as it is. Would be more logical if spelled Kjellman or Källman.

According to Aftonbladet, Kellman might be on his way back to europe.

Link in swedish.
tps://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/Adyxjz/avslojar-svensk-toppcenter-aktuell-for-shl
Thanks for the info. I guess that makes alot of sense although I didnt mind Kellman as our 4c

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I fully support this decision on his end. Not much of a Kellman fan as I think he is essentially Melker Karlsson at center (right position consistently but not ever going to do much with it). Have a lot of potential 4C's that can make that line more dynamic and tougher to play against. Would guess something like Gregor-Handemark-Noesen has a very good chance of being the opening night 4th line and I would be very happy with that group. Then have Bergmann, True, Letunov, Viel, etc. waiting in the wings as injury replacements.
I don’t see Gregor on the 4th. I think he’s basically pencilled into the top 9 (Sorenson’s spot ideally).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad