Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Adin Hill to 2-year/$2.175M AAV contract

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
About where it should be given there are no UFA years beating bought up and the resume to date. Think this will turn out to be a nice bargain when all is said and done. Just hope contract #2 isn’t bad.

Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Thats fair but it sucks hes walked right to UFA. Gonna have to pay big bucks to keep him if he does well, which makes me think new goalie in a couple years. Hopefully Melnichuk can be an NHL caliber guy

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I wish it was a 1 year so we could reassess the situation next summer

I guess it makes some sense if the plan is to have Melnichuk replace him in 2023-24. But then I really question why we gave up a 2nd round pick when signing any UFA goalie to a 2 year deal would have sufficed.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I guess it makes some sense if the plan is to have Melnichuk replace him in 2023-24. But then I really question why we gave up a 2nd round pick when signing any UFA goalie to a 2 year deal would have sufficed.

I doubt we were an appealing destination for UFA goalies after back to back years of such bad defensive play

I think Reimer was probably comfortable coming here because he's familiar with the franchise, but I don't know if we had another option outside of trade, I just wish we hadn't given up such a high pick to do so

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Low risk, we should have top 24 goaltending 'solved' for two years at $6.4-6.8M and a 2nd. Considering last year we had league worst goaltending for $6.5M this is a win. While I have been and remain pro-tank, I'm not convinced you could in good faith allow the skaters to let Jones rot behind them without having a riot.

I'd buy an argument that if they want help they should play better, but the reality is guys like Hertl and Ferraro deserve some help.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Just realized by 'guys like Hertl and Ferraro', I mean Hertl, Ferraro, Balcers, Burns, and Kane (mileage may vary) .....but that's a separate issue. Maybe doing right by them is getting rid of them.

Reactions: Alwalys

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Two years seems like they’ll play him this year and rent him out next year. If they do and get less than a 2nd, it’s a bad use of the 2nd we dealt for him.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Not like much is going to be happening in the next 2 years anyways, happy to see him play it out and see what happens. If he plays well, hopefully Doug has learned not to throw term and money at another goalie.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Walking him to UFA like this puts them in a position where they'll have to hand out the Martin Jones contract 2.0 if he proves he's a starter.

Today I learned DW is the only GM to have ever made a contract mistake.

If he proves he is a starter, what's the harm in paying him?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Today I learned DW is the only GM to have ever made a contract mistake.

If he proves he is a starter, what's the harm in paying him?

It's the term he'll command that's an issue more than the salary. A 27 year old UFA starting goalie will want a 6+ year contract and I just don't think it makes any sense to sign a goalie for that long unless he's Vasilevskiy or Hellebuyck. If they had signed Hill for one year instead they would retain his RFA rights next summer (i.e., not be competing against 31 other teams for his services) and have a better chance at signing him to a 3 or 4 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad