Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Adin Hill to 2-year/$2.175M AAV contract

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It's the term he'll command that's an issue more than the salary. A 27 year old UFA starting goalie will want a 6+ year contract and I just don't think it makes any sense to sign a goalie for that long unless he's Vasilevskiy or Hellebuyck. If they had signed Hill for one year instead they would retain his RFA rights next summer (i.e., not be competing against 31 other teams for his services) and have a better chance at signing him to a 3 or 4 year deal.
There are so many things that are going to happen before his next contract extension even becomes an issue, it's weird to be this concerned about it now. Hill has to earn his next contract. If he wants a 6 year deal he better be awesome for the next 2 years. If he's mediocre, the Sharks can move him or let him walk. If he's bad, then there isn't much to worry about because he doesn't cost much. It all has to play out first though, let's just see how everything looks after the first 30-40 games.

Reactions: themelkman

tahoesharksfan

Old Fart
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
I'm down with this and with the fact that it finally got done!

Now we really only have the one player's situation left to square away....

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
There are so many things that are going to happen before his next contract extension even becomes an issue, it's weird to be this concerned about it now. Hill has to earn his next contract. If he wants a 6 year deal he better be awesome for the next 2 years. If he's mediocre, the Sharks can move him or let him walk. If he's bad, then there isn't much to worry about because he doesn't cost much. It all has to play out first though, let's just see how everything looks after the first 30-40 games.

Sure, all of this is true, but regardless of how anything plays out it would still have put the Sharks in a much more advantageous negotiating position going forward to sign him for one year instead of two. They traded that for a little more cost certainty and we'll see whether it ends up hurting them in the long run.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So basically we're paying less for the goalies we have now and Martin Jones buyout than we would have if we just kept Martin around. Am I right?

No, but you can't just look at Jones, but Jones + his backup. So basically, is Jones's cap hit > Hill + Jones's buyout? Yes.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Two years seems like they’ll play him this year and rent him out next year. If they do and get less than a 2nd, it’s a bad use of the 2nd we dealt for him.
That’s a stretch I think. They’re looking for the starter for the future and have been on record saying his age is part of why they targeted him. He’s going to be the starter, or at least given every chance to be the starter for 2 years and they’ll reassess after and see what the next deal looks like. Of all the possible scenarios, renting him out next year is the least likely.

Reactions: Patty Ice

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
That’s a stretch I think. They’re looking for the starter for the future and have been on record saying his age is part of why they targeted him. He’s going to be the starter, or at least given every chance to be the starter for 2 years and they’ll reassess after and see what the next deal looks like. Of all the possible scenarios, renting him out next year is the least likely.

Probably depends on how well Melnichuk develops as well.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think with Gaudreau drafted it gives us a nice situation where Hill has the chance to be the starter for the next 5 years. During that time Melnichuk has the chance to either earn his spot and fight for a backup/rotation role or Gaudreau becomes the next starter.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The guys that have elected arbitration with our team don’t have a lengthy track record here is why I think that.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I think that is probably fair. I think in an ideal world, you let him marinate for a couple of years with the Cuda after the poor showing in North America this year and then whenever Reimer's deal expires you can bring him up at 25 to start to tandem/backup Hill in some sort of split. I've seen some citing Gaudreau, but he's likely 7 years away from being a legitimate starting/tandem option based on normal goalie timelines (that would put him at 25 years old) so even if you go with some term on Hill after this, it shouldn't impact things too much long-term.

Linus Ullmark is probably the comparison I am looking at for Hill's next deal if I had to predict it today. Signed a 4 year $5 million per year deal with Boston as a 27 year old. I think anything 5 years and under would be fine for Hill, given his age, if he plays well enough to be a true #1 rather than just a pure tandem. That said, I am admittedly bullish on Hill and think this was a very nice move due to how his size and athleticism projects.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The guys that have elected arbitration with our team don’t have a lengthy track record here is why I think that.
Those guys for the most part had other flaws in their game (Demers for example) or were moved for a big fish (Tierney). If Hill is playing well, they're not going to move on from him because he elected for arbitration and settled before there was even the possibility for a hearing. That was simply good business by he and his agent to protect him which is something the organization understands if they have an ounce of acumen.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Those guys for the most part had other flaws in their game (Demers for example) or were moved for a big fish (Tierney). If Hill is playing well, they're not going to move on from him because he elected for arbitration and settled before there was even the possibility for a hearing. That was simply good business by he and his agent to protect him which is something the organization understands if they have an ounce of acumen.

Maybe but I have my doubts that Hill is actually going to be their starter of the future. If he does, they will likely fall into the same trap that they did with Jones contractually. But if next year happens and he's just average or in some way unconvincing, I can see them moving on pretty quickly.

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
I think with Gaudreau drafted it gives us a nice situation where Hill has the chance to be the starter for the next 5 years. During that time Melnichuk has the chance to either earn his spot and fight for a backup/rotation role or Gaudreau becomes the next starter.
How good is this Gaudreau kid? I know he got drafted but does he have some pedigree behind him

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
How good is this Gaudreau kid? I know he got drafted but does he have some pedigree behind him
I've been following him since the OHL cup 2 years ago (before he got drafted to the OHL). He went top-10 to that league, and has played for Team Canada in some tournaments. I expect next year he has a chance to back up Cossa at the WJC.

To add, he had bad stats in the 2020 OHL season but you can blame that on how bad Sarnia was. He should be the best goalie in that league this year, and if Sarnia puts a competitive team on the ice his stats will show it

Reactions: Gunnin54

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I've been following him since the OHL cup 2 years ago (before he got drafted to the OHL). He went top-10 to that league, and has played for Team Canada in some tournaments. I expect next year he has a chance to back up Cossa at the WJC.

To add, he had bad stats in the 2020 OHL season but you can blame that on how bad Sarnia was. He should be the best goalie in that league this year, and if Sarnia puts a competitive team on the ice his stats will show it
Hasn’t been invited to the world juniors camp so far. Maybe he can play the 2023 ones

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012

Sounds like DW Jr nailed this years draft

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Sure, all of this is true, but regardless of how anything plays out it would still have put the Sharks in a much more advantageous negotiating position going forward to sign him for one year instead of two. They traded that for a little more cost certainty and we'll see whether it ends up hurting them in the long run.
Cost certainty when they need to re-sign Hertl is important though. If Hill shows out this year, plays 48 games and posts a .924, he's going to demand a huge raise (that may not be warranted for a one year flash in the pan season) at the same time Hertl does. This at least pushes that out for two years, longer time to evaluate for relatively cheap, and avoids two large raises at the same time.

Reactions: tiburon12

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Cost certainty when they need to re-sign Hertl is important though. If Hill shows out this year, plays 48 games and posts a .924, he's going to demand a huge raise (that may not be warranted for a one year flash in the pan season) at the same time Hertl does. This at least pushes that out for two years, longer time to evaluate for relatively cheap, and avoids two large raises at the same time.

Unless Kane's contract gets voided I think they're gonna have a tough time extending Hertl and Ferraro and filling out the rest of the roster as things stand. Someone like Labanc is probably going to need to be moved regardless.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I guess I dont know how arbitration works but assuming Hill was firm on 2 years, who is to say that the alternative wasnt going to arbitration, souring him on the org, and landing on a 2 year deal in arbitration anyways?

No one here can ever be happy about anything lmao

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I guess I dont know how arbitration works but assuming Hill was firm on 2 years, who is to say that the alternative wasnt going to arbitration, souring him on the org, and landing on a 2 year deal in arbitration anyways?

No one here can ever be happy about anything lmao

When a player files for arbitration the team gets to choose the term.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->