Prospect Info: Sharks Select William Eklund at 7th Overall *Update* returned to Djurgarden

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Honestly the dude played in a men's league last year. He could realistically make the NHL this season.

I know he has said he wants to go back to Sweden for another year but does anyone believe he isn't instantly one of our nine best forwards?

Yeah, I was thinking he did pretty well in the Swedish League, wouldn't he be pretty much NHL ready?

Please let us enjoy him one more year :puppy: Think he could have a big year

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Bordeleau is a solid prospect, but ideally, he's someone who is 3-5 on your depth chart. Eklund is someone you are happy to have as your #1...

For the record, we have to wait for the results. By all accounts, this was an incredibly obvious pick, so it is hard to credit the scouting staff too much...it takes nothing special to not trip over yourself.

Reactions: tealzamboni

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Bordeleau is a solid prospect, but ideally, he's someone who is 3-5 on your depth chart. Eklund is someone you are happy to have as your #1...

For the record, we have to wait for the results. By all accounts, this was an incredibly obvious pick, so it is hard to credit the scouting staff too much...it takes nothing special to not trip over yourself.

It's pretty easy to scout by watching Sharks games and then prospects games. Eklund fits their style to a T and he's better than many Sharks at it. ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I know he has said he wants to go back to Sweden for another year but does anyone believe he isn't instantly one of our nine best forwards?

I think he probably could step right in (and work his way into the bigger minutes). But, I think there's no need to rush him to game 1. His game is mature, but letting him fill out should make the transition a lot smoother when the time comes. Maybe it also gives him more C reps.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Love the fact that he played a lot as C in juniors. Reports confirm that while he played on the wing in his first year against men, he's got the skill set to play as C in the NHL one day.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I was ready for disappointment all day and thinking he’d be gone by the time we were on the clock. Holy shit am I excited.

As you can see in @TomasHertlsRooster plot above, this kid is special and literally played at a historic level as a teenager in a men’s league, not to mention his very detailed and solid 200 foot game.

Very real possibility he becomes the best player of the draft.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think he probably could step right in (and work his way into the bigger minutes). But, I think there's no need to rush him to game 1. His game is mature, but letting him fill out and get used to the NA game should make the transition a lot smoother when the time comes. Maybe it also gives him more C reps.

Maybe give him the 9 games then return him to Djurgardens? Helps to not burn the ELC too. I don't know if that would be too disruptive to his SHL season though.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
We are all so happy about this. I’m worried.

If you think about it everyone who went ahead of him was a center or defenseman. Unless a winger is a Lafreniere or Kakko caliber prospect they're usually not going to go super high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad