Prospect Info: Sharks Select William Eklund at 7th Overall *Update* returned to Djurgarden

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Djurgården is currently 2 periods in to their first pre-season game of the season. Eklund is playing first line and 1st pp unit. His been handling the puck like a grenade though :laugh: I assume next for him is rookie camp?
but how accurately does he hit the goalie in the logo?

Reactions: Red Light Lover

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
1139779602.jpg.0.jpg
j5f.gif

While the knee injury didn't help, that's not why Michalek didn't really live up to expectations. Despite his high-level physical tools, he had limited hockey sense.

He had a great wrist shot though and was decent defensively which was nice for someone with that acceleration.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Really don't see the point in rushing him to the NHL. Hughes, Kakko, Lafreniere and Stutzle were all pretty awful as rookies and Eklund is a notch below what they were as prospects. It's tougher than ever for teenagers to make an impact.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
This off season is like a roller coaster... Great news alternating with shit news. Can't wait to watch the scrimmage!

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah let's rush him and f*** this all up.
I don't feel they've forced anyone into the NHL full time that wasn't at least somewhat deserving over the last few years. They kept alternating guys the last couple seasons which is what I think you gotta do with the prospects at their current stage of development. I think they just want the option in case Eklund comes in and is clearly an NHL calibre player that will only benefit from playing in NA from here on out. I don't think he's a lock to make the team at all. Gonna be a dog fight for wing spots next season. Or at least it should be.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I don't feel they've forced anyone into the NHL full time that wasn't at least somewhat deserving over the last few years. They kept alternating guys the last couple seasons which is what I think you gotta do with the prospects at their current stage of development. I think they just want the option in case Eklund comes in and is clearly an NHL calibre player that will only benefit from playing in NA from here on out. I don't think he's a lock to make the team at all. Gonna be a dog fight for wing spots next season. Or at least it should be.

Mueller was the last I believe, turns out he was not the next coming of Vlasic.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Barabanov, who is probably not a NHL player, is currently penciled into a top six role so it shouldn't be difficult for Eklund to earn a roster spot on merit. Even easier if Kane is gone. Hopefully it works out but I really think a season where he dominates the SHL and WJC would be more beneficial to his long term development.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Barabanov, who is probably not a NHL player, is currently penciled into a top six role so it shouldn't be difficult for Eklund to earn a roster spot on merit. Even easier if Kane is gone. Hopefully it works out but I really think a season where he dominates the SHL would be more beneficial to his long term development.
Pretty bold to say Barabonov is not an NHL player. He never got a shot in toronto and excelled in his time in SJ. I can understand being hesitant about him in the top six, but it seems like hes got a real shot at being an NHL player longterm.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Pretty bold to say Barabonov is not an NHL player. He never got a shot in toronto and excelled in his time in SJ. I can understand being hesitant about him in the top six, but it seems like hes got a real shot at being an NHL player longterm.

He's already 27 and only had one good season in his entire KHL career. Doesn't seem like the kind of player who would succeed in a depth role (sounds like that was part of the problem in Toronto) so it's top six or bust for him and I would lean towards bust.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
FFS. If someone watched Barabanov at the end of the season and didn't see an NHL player then maybe they lack the ability to judge such things.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Bold is a polite way to describe it. Barabanov was one of the best Sharks during his relatively short stint last year.

Edit: It is funny how some people just quote stats w/o watching games. Apparently some don’t do either.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Really don't see the point in rushing him to the NHL. Hughes, Kakko, Lafreniere and Stutzle were all pretty awful as rookies and Eklund is a notch below what they were as prospects. It's tougher than ever for teenagers to make an impact.
I don't agree that he's a notch below them. I agree we should take our time and let him develop his game in the SHL

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad