Prospect Info: Sharks Select William Eklund at 7th Overall *Update* returned to Djurgarden

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I’ve always wondered if Vlasic was stunted by sticking with the Sharks so early. I don’t really have a grasps at how player development works, but I’ve long hypothesized that another year in junior to focus on expanding his offensive game might have resulted in a more complete player - vs allowing him to stick so early on a team that sorely needed his defensive abilities.
Vlasic's offensive output after being drafted was excellent actually. He increased his point total by 43 points in his D+1 year.

upload_2021-8-9_12-49-29.png

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I’ve always wondered if Vlasic was stunted by sticking with the Sharks so early. I don’t really have a grasps at how player development works, but I’ve long hypothesized that another year in junior to focus on expanding his offensive game might have resulted in a more complete player - vs allowing him to stick so early on a team that sorely needed his defensive abilities.
He may have been a little just due to him being asked to take on a heavy defensive load from the start but I don't think he's really got the skillset to have been a strong two way guy to begin with. His offensive IQ could have been improved from the experience but he doesn't have a great shot and his passing isn't very special either.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
He may have been a little just due to him being asked to take on a heavy defensive load from the start but I don't think he's really got the skillset to have been a strong two way guy to begin with. His offensive IQ could have been improved from the experience but he doesn't have a great shot and his passing isn't very special either.
Not to bash on the guy too much, but yeah the offensive IQ is what is so staggering to me! He'll get the puck in the offensive zone, or he'll make a nice pinch, win the puck, then literally he'll have no idea what to do with it.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Back to Eklund though, I'll echo what everyone has said already and selfishly want to see him, but him staying in Sweden one more year would be smart. Especially if Kane is not in the lineup, we're not contending anyways and we should "stealth-tank" the year for a top 10 pick. Then start mixing in the kids in 2022-23.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Back to Eklund though, I'll echo what everyone has said already and selfishly want to see him, but him staying in Sweden one more year would be smart. Especially if Kane is not in the lineup, we're not contending anyways and we should "stealth-tank" the year for a top 10 pick. Then start mixing in the kids in 2022-23.
I think what will end up happening is that Bordeleau and Eklund end 2021-2022 in the NHL. Their seasons should end in about March/April so we should see them with the Sharks/Cuda for the last 10 or so games of 21-22

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I was in my work van on route in Manteca during the draft and I pulled off to the side when our pick came up so I wouldn't be distracted. I just remember how friggin long in took for that pick to come through. I was so nervous we traded it. My words verbatim in my van were "Cmon DW Jr, do the right thing...don't f**k this up boys"... and boom, I saw Eklund pop up on the cue and I was giddy as could be. I rode the high of that pick alone the rest of my shift lol

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I think with guys like Eklund and Bordeleau, its about not rushing them to this team and to start the ELC as late as you can.
It's important to make a good window, to have a lot of highly potential guys playing at a same time and save some cap hit while at it.
And when you have to pay them, then some of the albatross contracts are either over/ traded or 1-2 year away from being over.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I would not allow a single player to make the team out of camp this year to be honest. Let them ripen on the vine a little.
The off-season adds are probably going to make that happen. We have a lot of bottom 6 players to play this year while they get a year in at lower levels.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I think with guys like Eklund and Bordeleau, its about not rushing them to this team and to start the ELC as late as you can.
It's important to make a good window, to have a lot of highly potential guys playing at a same time and save some cap hit while at it.
And when you have to pay them, then some of the albatross contracts are either over/ traded or 1-2 year away from being over.

All signs point to one-more year outside of the NHL.

Roster-spots - Gamby and Cogs each have one-year deals. I'd lay solid odds neither are on the team after this season. (Expecting Eklund and Bordeleau to be slotted in in their place for 22-23. )

Cap-wise - Barring a get out of jail free card (Kane's contract terminated, some big contract player being traded, etc) we have 15 M freeing up in Burns/Kane contracts ending in 24-25 season. If we don't bring in any high-end prospect this year, but wait until next season, their ELCs end when those two contracts come off the books. From a cap perspective, it makes sense to hold off bring in the kids until 22-23.

Entry draft - Nothing DW did this season screamed all-in. He made some key, low-grade moves to help improve our team. No earth shattering, needle-moving moves as of yet. If we end up losing Kane for nothing, we likely tread water this season for a 5-9 draft pick. DW has plausible deniability for little improvement, and is set up for much better results in 22-23 (assuming kids live up to hype and we extend Hertl/Ferraro). Basically, non-tank holding pattern is reasonable sell to Hasso if we lose Kane now.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Hey, everyone, it’s still real. We got Eklund.
Feels like the first win for us in the past 2 seasons.

Him, Bordeleau, and Weisblatt would be a fun line if they all pan out. A bunch of little guys that can light up the scoreboard and have endless motors.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was in my work van on route in Manteca during the draft and I pulled off to the side when our pick came up so I wouldn't be distracted. I just remember how friggin long in took for that pick to come through. I was so nervous we traded it. My words verbatim in my van were "Cmon DW Jr, do the right thing...don't f**k this up boys"... and boom, I saw Eklund pop up on the cue and I was giddy as could be. I rode the high of that pick alone the rest of my shift lol

I was also driving to work when our pick was happening… I just made it to my desk when we came up on the clock. :laugh: Good thing too, I probably would have celebrated too hard to be safe driving.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Can anyone post the sportsnet version of our drafting of Eklund?? I can’t find it anywhere and I was hoping to see what they said. Thanks in advance.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Can anyone post the sportsnet version of our drafting of Eklund?? I can’t find it anywhere and I was hoping to see what they said. Thanks in advance.
It doesn't cover the analysis waffling if that's what you're looking for. This is all I can find.

Last edited:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I watched it live on Sportsnet and they didn't talk about our pick for much sadly. It was neither a Canadian team or a Canadian player being chosen so they didnt care.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Djurgården is currently 2 periods in to their first pre-season game of the season. Eklund is playing first line and 1st pp unit. His been handling the puck like a grenade though :laugh: I assume next for him is rookie camp?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad