Recalled/Assigned: Sharks roster moves 2021-22: 4/17 Hatakka recalled

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Probably keep Reimer and Kahkonen and trade Hill.

Strauss Mann and either Zach Sawchenko or Magnus Chrona hold down the spots in the AHL, with Zacharie Emond in the ECHL. Ben Gaudreau in the OHL, then moving up to the AHL.

Sawchenko likely isn't an NHL goaltender, but he's adequate in the AHL (poor numbers this year probably indicate how utterly awful the Barracuda were defensively more than they indicate his own talent) and might be the first goalie called up when necessary. I don't think we have a good sense of Mann or Chrona yet. Emond is bad.

Thanks! This is what I suspected the answer would be. I'd assume the return for Hill would be future considerations/late round draft pick'ish?

If they were to trade Kahkonen what would the Sharks want? Or is he just unlikely to be moved?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Thanks! This is what I suspected the answer would be. I'd assume the return for Hill would be future considerations/late round draft pick'ish?

If they were to trade Kahkonen what would the Sharks want? Or is he just unlikely to be moved?
If that’s all you’re getting for Hill you keep him. He might not be worth the second they paid but I’d rather move Reimer for a big return since Hill was good in ARI and had multiple flashes this season while being left out to dry by the team.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If that’s all you’re getting for Hill you keep him. He might not be worth the second they paid but I’d rather move Reimer for a big return since Hill was good in ARI and had multiple flashes this season while being left out to dry by the team.
I think this should be our path on this. Kahkonen has looked good and if he follows the path that Hill was supposed to be on, then we can trade Reimer to a contender looking for goaltending while locking in our goalie of the future and we can hold onto Hill as a back up/1B goalie.

Granted, you could trade Hill for cheap and keep Reimer on as more of a mentor role and maybe groom him for goalie coaching. It seems like Reimer's maintenance of his skill set would translate well to a career in coaching

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think this should be our path on this. Kahkonen has looked good and if he follows the path that Hill was supposed to be on, then we can trade Reimer to a contender looking for goaltending while locking in our goalie of the future and we can hold onto Hill as a back up/1B goalie.

Granted, you could trade Hill for cheap and keep Reimer on as more of a mentor role and maybe groom him for goalie coaching. It seems like Reimer's maintenance of his skill set would translate well to a career in coaching
Yep agreed. In terms of asset management though, trading Hill for nothing makes zero sense. Even ignoring the 2nd we paid for him last season, would you rather have Kahkonen and Reimer or Kahkonen, Hill, and a 2nd?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yep agreed. In terms of asset management though, trading Hill for nothing makes zero sense. Even ignoring the 2nd we paid for him last season, would you rather have Kahkonen and Reimer or Kahkonen, Hill, and a 2nd?
Reimer probably isn’t returning a 2nd. If he did, they probably would’ve moved him when they got the Kahkonen deal done.

A 4th for Hill would be a suitable return from an asset management perspective because we traded back five rounds to get him. We don’t necessarily have to get a 2nd or 3rd for Hill to have it make sense now that Kahkonen is in the fold. Either dump Simek with Hill for nothing, get a 4th, or see if a forward is available in a similar age and contract. Carrying three goalies is going to hurt their leverage to get that sort of return if they don’t make a decision by free agent day roughly.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Reimer probably isn’t returning a 2nd. If he did, they probably would’ve moved him when they got the Kahkonen deal done.

A 4th for Hill would be a suitable return from an asset management perspective because we traded back five rounds to get him. We don’t necessarily have to get a 2nd or 3rd for Hill to have it make sense now that Kahkonen is in the fold. Either dump Simek with Hill for nothing, get a 4th, or see if a forward is available in a similar age and contract. Carrying three goalies is going to hurt their leverage to get that sort of return if they don’t make a decision by free agent day roughly.
I mean the 4th is semi okay for me I’d rather move Reimer for a 2nd or 3rd+prospect. The post I was responding to originally though was saying future considerations.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

There are definitely teams out there that would give us a 4th for Simek and Hill.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There are definitely teams out there that would give us a 4th for Simek and Hill.
I think the team should do that if it’s out there this off-season. If they want to retool, they need to free up cap space where they can and there’s two spots to do it.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think the team should do that if it’s out there this off-season. If they want to retool, they need to free up cap space where they can and there’s two spots to do it.
I’m not so keen on trading Hill, especially at low value, but I can see the merit in getting something while also getting rid of Simek’s contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’m not so keen on trading Hill, especially at low value, but I can see the merit in getting something while also getting rid of Simek’s contract.
If they want a replacement for Kane, they’re going to need to clear space somehow. Between that and buying out Labanc, they can clear almost 8.5 mil.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn't trade Hill. Not worth much with the injury and has looked very good at certain times. Still time for him to find health and consistency. Having a youngish goaltending duo would be awesome. Let them split time instead of overplaying one guy.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Recall. (So he can sign my jersey. Lol)

Bought HIFE jersey #18. Been waiting for end of season for it to get signed.

1650990775123.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad