Recalled/Assigned: Sharks roster moves 2019-20: 3/7 Knyzhov and DeSimone recalled

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
It isn't though. It is 100% a cap savings move. The sharks dont play until monday. 3 days of money saving by sending a player who should not be on the roster any ways.
No I find it weird why they aren’t playing him. I don’t think he’s worse than Letunov, and I know True is bigger, but it does surprise me they keep scratching him when he usally plays well when he’s in.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
No I find it weird why they aren’t playing him. I don’t think he’s worse than Letunov, and I know True is bigger, but it does surprise me they keep scratching him when he usally plays well when he’s in.

I am guessing its something to do with giving True and Letunov a shot and see what they can do while keeping Sorensen and Karlsson on the roster. If either (or both) are moved, I would expect them to bring Shovels back up. Its also a good idea to see what these guys can do while looking at building our bottom-6 next year.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Wilson needs to be smart these last 30 games or so. He needs to give every one of the kids in the ahl a shot at a dozen or more games.

If his plan is to compete which every sign points to that direction. Then he can't go into training camp with the plan of rookies without knowing those rookies can actually play at this level.

He tried that hope for a miracle plan this year and it backfired miserably. He does it again he should be fired.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Wilson needs to be smart these last 30 games or so. He needs to give every one of the kids in the ahl a shot at a dozen or more games.

If his plan is to compete which every sign points to that direction. Then he can't go into training camp with the plan of rookies without knowing those rookies can actually play at this level.

He tried that hope for a miracle plan this year and it backfired miserably. He does it again he should be fired.

I thought he was hoping for a miracle going into last year with all the rookies.
I was one of the few that was not comfortable at all going into the season while others were saying relax will be good I even got into it with someone saying we would score more goals

Hoping for three forward rookies to eat up meaningful minutes and contribute was asking too much shit it’s a lot to ask one but it’s easy to see for me why they sucked I saw it come in the whole time at the beginning of the year

Gambrell aside which I didn’t love him on the starting lineup so I’m not gonna pretend to be a fanboy but I’m just saying they were relying on him taking a spot . none of the players we thought would help us and contribute have even gotten to play a damn game this year how about that?

Wilson had to know this was a possibility as well and he did not have a back up plan also you can’t account or plan for the injury is either

I don’t think Wilson expected it to be this bad but it’s almost like he knew he would take a step back this year to take a couple forward I think this was always going to be a transition year although he will never admit it

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I thought he was hoping for a miracle going into last year with all the rookies.
I was one of the few that was not comfortable at all going into the season while others were saying relax will be good I even got into it with someone saying we would score more goals

Hoping for three forward rookies to eat up meaningful minutes and contribute was asking too much **** it’s a lot to ask one but it’s easy to see for me why they sucked I saw it come in the whole time at the beginning of the year

Gambrell aside which I didn’t love him on the starting lineup so I’m not gonna pretend to be a fanboy but I’m just saying they were relying on him taking a spot . none of the players we thought would help us and contribute have even gotten to play a damn game this year how about that?

Wilson had to know this was a possibility as well and he did not have a back up plan also you can’t account or plan for the injury is either

I don’t think Wilson expected it to be this bad but it’s almost like he knew he would take a step back this year to take a couple forward I think this was always going to be a transition year although he will never admit it

Its a stupid plan with no 1st round pick and only 2 total picks in the entire draft.

Reactions: Phu

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Its a stupid plan with no 1st round pick and only 2 total picks in the entire draft.
I don’t know if it was necessarily planned I’m just saying if many of us look at the roster and see all the holes

he had to see it as well he was always going to give us the fluff of the rookies are ready yada yada yada but It didn’t take some third I vision to see this was a possibility so he had to know

Whether it’s maneuver in contracts kept going up or just contracts falling off that he was unable to move during the year he never really had a back up plan and as it is it’s hard to think That he felt great about everything going into the year

really banking on Jones to return to a good start goalie

great team defense and crossing your fingers with no big injuries all of that had to go right you’re expecting everyone to take the next step and it didn’t happen

It was expecting a lot to begin with

ktice

Mar 10, 2019
I don't know if DW really saw the holes. There were a few forwards on the waiver wire at the start of the season that would have had, at the very least, a chance of fitting into the top 9. Made no sense to pass if you were being realistic about the amount of skaters with top 9 potential on the roster.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I don't think this was going to be a 2015-type refresh year. I think Wilson was expecting Jones to rebround, which is why Hedberg was fired with DeBoer and company. League average goaltending would have gone a long way to salvage the season.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Inviteme21

Feb 9, 2020
Antti suomela just had a great game with the cuda 1 goal, 1 assist and look dominant. Deserve to be call back up and actually maybe get to play 3 games in a row for once.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don't think this was going to be a 2015-type refresh year. I think Wilson was expecting Jones to rebround, which is why Hedberg was fired with DeBoer and company. League average goaltending would have gone a long way to salvage the season.
I'm not entirely sure the goaltending would have saved much. Since firing Deboer, we are 9-11-2 with a -11 goal differential. Prior to firing, we were 15-16-2 with a -25 goal differential.

Granted, a large chunk of this stretch has been without Couture (and now Hertl), but being a full 0.65 goals against per game better has not really turned around our record at all.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

No it wouldn't have. I really wish people would stop saying this.

I'm not entirely sure the goaltending would have saved much. Since firing Deboer, we are 9-11-2 with a -11 goal differential. Prior to firing, we were 15-16-2 with a -25 goal differential.

Granted, a large chunk of this stretch has been without Couture (and now Hertl), but being a full 0.65 goals against per game better has not really turned around our record at all.

Right. The team has had exactly league average goaltending under Boughner and they're on pace for 74 points and a -45 goal differential in his tenure. Can we please stop trying to blame everything on one of DeBoer or Jones?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’d say that league average team defense combined with league average goaltending would have went a long way at the beginning of the season and we would have been able to stay afloat until we got another top 6 forward.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I’d say that league average team defense combined with league average goaltending would have went a long way at the beginning of the season and we would have been able to stay afloat until we got another top 6 forward.

This team is 4th from last in goals per game with 2.6. The median team in goals per game is Minnesota with 3.07 goals per game.

In order to be an average offensive team (in addition to this hypothetical average team defense and league average goaltending), we would need to be scoring an additional 0.47 goals per game.

Is Sidney Crosby this "other top 6 forward" that you're referring to? Because otherwise, one top-6 forward wasn't going to change a damn thing. People need to be realistic about just how terrible this team has been this season. They weren't one little patch away from being a playoff team in the worst division in the NHL, let alone a viable contender for the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This team is 4th from last in goals per game with 2.6. The median team in goals per game is Minnesota with 3.07 goals per game.

In order to be an average offensive team (in addition to this hypothetical average team defense and league average goaltending), we would need to be scoring an additional 0.47 goals per game.

Is Sidney Crosby this "other top 6 forward" that you're referring to? Because otherwise, one top-6 forward wasn't going to change a damn thing. People need to be realistic about just how terrible this team has been this season. They weren't one little patch away from being a playoff team in the worst division in the NHL, let alone a viable contender for the Stanley Cup.
Great. You say all these stats all the time and it makes me question if you watch anything other than a stat sheet.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’ve watched a terrible hockey team all season in all facets outside of the penalty kill and I’m providing evidence which supports what I’ve seen.
If the team has better team defense then they spend less time in the defensive zone. If they spend less time in the defensive zone, then they spend more time in the offensive zone. More time in the offensive zone leads to less goals against AND more goals scored.

If the team has leave average goaltending then they are able to take more risks because they trust the goalie to stop shots from far out. If they take more risks then that leads to more scoring chances. More scoring chances leads to more goals.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
If the team has better team defense then they spend less time in the defensive zone. If they spend less time in the defensive zone, then they spend more time in the offensive zone. More time in the offensive zone leads to less goals against AND more goals scored.

If the team has leave average goaltending then they are able to take more risks because they trust the goalie to stop shots from far out. If they take more risks then that leads to more scoring chances. More scoring chances leads to more goals.

Problem is that the team only has like 4 top 6 players and only one truly legit top liner in Hertl.

There's also a serious lack of playmakers on the roster as well as depth scorers. I mean they have been playing Barclay f***ing Goodrow on the powerplay all year. Contrast that to last year when there was so much depth that deserving top 6 players weren't regulars on the powerplay.

The problem with the Sharks is that they went from being one of the deepest forward cores in the league, to one of the least deep.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Problem is that the team only has like 4 top 6 players and only one truly legit top liner in Hertl.

There's also a serious lack of playmakers on the roster as well as depth scorers. I mean they have been playing Barclay ****ing Goodrow on the powerplay all year. Contrast that to last year when there was so much depth that deserving top 6 players weren't regulars on the powerplay.

The problem with the Sharks is that they went from being one of the deepest forward cores in the league, to one of the least deep.
Couture and Kane are top line too. I’m not saying they would be top of the league. They would be in a playoff spot though, especially with how bad the Pacific is. Then maybe they add another player like Kreider, Tatar, etc. to load up for the playoffs and then they’re in much better shape.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I would maybe say more accurately is that we don't have a 2nd line. With Hertl playing as he can, his line can usually play even with most 1st lines. I think most of it ends up being a gap in talent in our middle 6. We lost Pavelski, Nyquist, and Donskoi who would have filled in our middle 6 depth and then Thornton and Sorenson have regressed quite a bit. So it's like 5 of the 6 middle 6 guys we had aren't what we got right now.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I would maybe say more accurately is that we don't have a 2nd line. With Hertl playing as he can, his line can usually play even with most 1st lines. I think most of it ends up being a gap in talent in our middle 6. We lost Pavelski, Nyquist, and Donskoi who would have filled in our middle 6 depth and then Thornton and Sorenson have regressed quite a bit. So it's like 5 of the 6 middle 6 guys we had aren't what we got right now.

I would add that the guys the Sharks lost were also decent two-way players. As many problems as this team has had, the defense from the forwards particularly stands out. LaBanc and Meier are positive possession players with holes in their defensive games; Marleau's brought in he spends too much time in his own zone; and, Melker and Sorenson have not done much on either side of the puck. For all that Couture does in the playoffs, he's a mediocre defensive player in the regular season. Even Hertl has not been up to par defensively. I'm a Kane defender and I'm not caught up on the fancy states, but he should not look like this team's best two-way guy.

This is where I think the org. messed up this year. Overlying on prospects is a risk, but they brought up one way forwards: Bergmann and Yurtaykin. Then, Gregor brought next to nothing. True and Leutnov are not flashy guys, they're dependable in all zones in the A. Everyone was too focused on replacing offensive that playing defense was put to the back burner. Add poor goal tending to the mix and the Sharks get this season.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

Looking up Sorenson's shooting percentage from last season, regression should have been expected. It would be extremely unlikely he would have shot at 17% again. I'm not sure if there was a bargain bin UFA to replace him if Wilson had sold high on him.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I think DW was hoping Burns and Karlsson would carry this team like they both have done at previous points in their careers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad