Recalled/Assigned: Sharks roster moves 2019-20: 3/7 Knyzhov and DeSimone recalled

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
It's like two 3rd lines, a 4th line, and an AHL line.

its sad to think that at one point in the playoffs last year we rolled out a lineup of:

Nyquist-Couture-Meier
Pavelski-Hertl-Kane
Labanc-Jumbo-Sorensen
Melker-Goodrow-Donskoi

I hate Deboer more and more every time I think about how he almost lead that lineup to a first round exit.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
its sad to think that at one point in the playoffs last year we rolled out a lineup of:

Nyquist-Couture-Meier
Pavelski-Hertl-Kane
Labanc-Jumbo-Sorensen
Melker-Goodrow-Donskoi

I hate Deboer more and more every time I think about how he almost lead that lineup to a first round exit.
Where is Haley :sarcasm:

Reactions: Sandisfan

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada

Lxd.gif

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Now all we need to do is actually convince some silly GM that Goodrow actually is a 1st line center and get assets accordingly!

Edit- Oh and poor True, having to make his debut saddled with Melker. Give the guy Gambrell at least so that line has a shot at scoring

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018

Nyquist-Couture-Meier
Pavelski-Hertl-Kane
Labanc-Jumbo-Sorensen
Melker-Goodrow-Donskoi

That lineup looks pretty skilled. But when it comes to skating, grit and size not so much. I think thats one of the main reasons why they struggled against vegas two years in row.
Two speedy guys with Kane and Nyquist but after that its a mixture of bad skating and below average speed.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
That lineup looks pretty skilled. But when it comes to skating, grit and size not so much. I think thats one of the main reasons why they struggled against vegas two years in row.
Two speedy guys with Kane and Nyquist but after that its a mixture of bad skating and below average speed.
Interesting take. I’ve always felt that Donskoi, Sorensen, and Timo are above average skaters with decent speed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Interesting take. I’ve always felt that Donskoi, Sorensen, and Timo are above average skaters with decent speed.

Meier is definitely above average in skating including speed. Donskoi is probably average in skating speed but above average in other elements of skating. He's very elusive. Sorensen has average speed at best but nothing really standing out and it seems like it's only declining now.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Meier is definitely above average in skating including speed. Donskoi is probably average in skating speed but above average in other elements of skating. He's very elusive. Sorensen has average speed at best but nothing really standing out and it seems like it's only declining now.
Agreed on the current state of Sorensen. I feel like he was the fastest guy on the team in his first season. Maybe I’m misremembering.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Agreed on the current state of Sorensen. I feel like he was the fastest guy on the team in his first season. Maybe I’m misremembering.

He had bursts of speed but overall I didn't see him stand out from the average NHL'er. Every NHL'er on average has that burst of speed when the adrenaline kicks in that they may have an opportunity in front of them.

He was fast, but he also played fearlessly and was able to play the body and get inside the slot well for someone his size.

I think the physicality of the league has worn him out a bit.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He was fast, but he also played fearlessly and was able to play the body and get inside the slot well for someone his size.
I think he felt faster than he was because he was engaged. He would actively finish checks and forecheck hard. This year it seems like he just peels off and avoids contact.

Meier has looked like that for most of this season too. But he is much more skilled than Sorensen so still looks considerably better.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I think he felt faster than he was because he was engaged. He would actively finish checks and forecheck hard. This year it seems like he just peels off and avoids contact.

Meier has looked like that for most of this season too. But he is much more skilled than Sorensen so still looks considerably better.

I'm not one for over-reliance on toughness or grit, but the whole team has basically become allergic to playing physical whatsoever. We see it sometimes from Kane and Goodrow. And I guess it makes sense, seeing how the whole roster turned into glass over the course of a year or two.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I'm not one for over-reliance on toughness or grit, but the whole team has basically become allergic to playing physical whatsoever. We see it sometimes from Kane and Goodrow. And I guess it makes sense, seeing how the whole roster turned into glass over the course of a year or two.

After we lost to Pittsburgh in the Finals, Doug Wilson and the front office became obsessed with this nebulous concept of speed. We completely moved away from our puck possession identity. We used to be this big, gritty team that would hold onto the puck. Now we are much more an Eastern style transition team.

You need to innovate to win, not just chase the meta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad