Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Hopefully wont matter but Gushchin is back in Russia currently via his instagram story.

Honestly, I don't think it will.

I imagine you're thinking of some kind of Fedotov situation, and I believe the paucity of similar stories indicates that the ordinary Russian hockey player is not likely to face any significant obstacles to playing in the NHL/AHL next season. The information I've seen indicates that, for the near future at least, there are likely to be few direct impacts on the North American ice hockey situation caused by the conflict in Ukraine.

I don't know that there's any reason for these young European or Russian players to stay in North America during this portion of the offseason. They can't afford homes here yet, their families are probably overseas, and there aren't too many work-related requirements until closer to training camp. Might as well live at home and get some family time and personal training in for the next month.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Honestly, I don't think it will.

I imagine you're thinking of some kind of Fedotov situation, and I believe the paucity of similar stories indicates that the ordinary Russian hockey player is not likely to face any significant obstacles to playing in the NHL/AHL next season. The information I've seen indicates that, for the near future at least, there are likely to be few direct impacts on the North American ice hockey situation caused by the conflict in Ukraine.

I don't know that there's any reason for these young European or Russian players to stay in North America during this portion of the offseason. They can't afford homes here yet, their families are probably overseas, and there aren't too many work-related requirements until closer to training camp. Might as well live at home and get some family time and personal training in for the next month.
You just never know with Russia. They arent living in a reasonable place, anything could happen as things continue to get worse.

Things are probably fine, but its still a non zero risk.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
You just never know with Russia. They arent living in a reasonable place, anything could happen as things continue to get worse.

Things are probably fine, but its still a non zero risk.
As a standard rule I try to avoid stating the obvious "some things are always possible." So I wouldn't worry about it any more than I would worry about the ubiquitous injury risk.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
As a standard rule I try to avoid stating the obvious "some things are always possible." So I wouldn't worry about it any more than I would worry about the ubiquitous injury risk.
Yeah, that's not true. Putin could easily decide to ban players from going to North America as "another move against NATO and the West." The guy is unhinged at this point, so it's not great that Gushchin is back in Russia. There's an arrest warrant out for Kaprizov, one of the biggest stars in the NHL. Anyone is fair game

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Tryamkin's top 200 NHL NHL prospect list - SJS at 11 (Eklund) and 15 (Bordeleau).

• Love

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah, that's not true. Putin could easily decide to ban players from going to North America as "another move against NATO and the West." The guy is unhinged at this point, so it's not great that Gushchin is back in Russia. There's an arrest warrant out for Kaprizov, one of the biggest stars in the NHL. Anyone is fair game
This isn't really the place anyway, and I can't really go into what I think anyway because of forum rules, but the evidence I've seen is that there is a very considered pattern in Russia right now about who is at risk of being forced to stay in Russia (or conscripted) and who is not. It's not made based on mere whim, but appears to have been determined according to a logical thought process (whether I agree with the conclusions of the process or not is irrelevant - it appears to proceed logically, given certain assumptions that I infer are being made but do not necessarily agree with).

Daniil Gushchin, as a Russian professional athlete without any contractual encumbrances in Russia, is someone I would consider to be at low risk. Kaprizov is, so far, pretty much the only counterexample (Fedotov appears to have pissed someone off, and his treatment is unjust but I don't believe indicative of anything beyond that). While this could change, I have not seen any indications that this is likely to do so in the near term.

Basically, I agree that the scenario you posit could happen, but I do not believe it is likely to happen in the near term, based on the evidence I have seen. From a hockey perspective, at this time I would not consider it any more concerning that I would be of a serious injury (game-related or not - a car crash, for example), which could happen to anyone and is not worth worrying about beyond a usual background rate of player attrition that we expect to happen in general. I would pretty much say the same thing about any other Russian player (save maybe Panarin).

If you want to here my honest and complete opinion, a PM is probably the best way to do that so that I don't feel like I need to dance around forbidden topics.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Fedotov in the army not because he must be in the army. And it’s not the precedent.
He just said/made something “wrong” to CSKA’s bosses who have much influence/power in Russia.
It is very bad situation but don’t think that every Russian player is under risk now.
Edit. This happened not because of Putin. If it would be his directive, Russian media wouldn’t observe this situation so much saying what the … is going on

Reactions: Reggae Shark

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Tryamkin's top 200 NHL NHL prospect list - SJS at 11 (Eklund) and 15 (Bordeleau).

Don't know about this guy or his credentials, but, while noting a bunch of HMs are Sharks, you'd expect roughly 6-7 Sharks prospects to be in the top-200. The fact that there aren't is a little disappointing.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

No others in the top 200? Seems a little nuts

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
And there are 4 Sharks prospects in the relative short "honorable mention" list (Guschin, Bystedt. Coe, Wiesblatt), I highlighted the two I did not because they were the only 2 but because they are both quite highly ranked.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If we had selected Geekie we would be worse off. Atleast this way we are likely to get a couple guys out of our draft. Maybe a 3C out of Bystadt or Lund and a second/third pairing tweener d from Havelid or Fisher.
Yeah I mean you’re not wrong about Geekie but there were other guys there just like there were other guys at the other picks that I still think would have been better.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah I mean you’re not wrong about Geekie but there were other guys there just like there were other guys at the other picks that I still think would have been better.
Totally agree, but it could’ve been worse.

Likely won’t be any major steals for us, but some okay depth guys.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Unless one of the picks we got this year turns into something special we didn't get a potential core piece this year.

I was on the fence on whether we'd get one at 11. I could've taken or left it but I think taking the picks for the Sharks is probably the best move for the situation. I feel like Nazar would've been their guy if they kept the pick. I would understand taking him over the three picks but I understand taking the picks too. Bystedt, Lund, and Havelid were solid picks even if Bystedt was a bit of a reach. I don't think any of these players will be core pieces but even if Bystedt and Lund are just solid 3rd liners and Havelid is a middle pairing guy, it could be better for the team. Between this and 2020, they've at least got some depth in their prospect pool to be used as trade chips.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Kemell or Lekkerimaki at 11 would have made the prospect pool look better. I'm growing more and more "ok" with Lund, Bystedt and Havelid though over the 1 higher end player at 11. For the most part I put little to no faith in prospect models. There are far too many variables with prospects to bank purely on stats in any given 1-3 year period.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
Atleast Doug Jrs impact on this team can’t be erased in a couple seasons, which is how long I expect this new management to last.
Well there is the possibility that guys like Merks, Gush, (possibly Bords) and even some of the, a bit bigger skill-ish guys could be gone before they have a chance to develop here and some traded for lower picks than where they were drafted cause GM doesn't believe they have compete and wants to get what he can and/or traded for guys, at around or a bit higher value than that of the guys he added recently cause he wants compete whether skill is as important to GM we will find out. So don't rule out a complete or mostly complete clear out of Jrs. guys cause GM thinks that getting any value now or soon is better than this group.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Lund looked better than 90% of the guys at the scrimmage. Eklund is just a magician. He’s definitely a slippery guy who creates scoring chances damn near every time he’s on the ice. I like Havelid a lot. Think he needs more seasoning. Bystedt is very raw imo but I believe he’ll be a big time player when all is said and done. I’m sticking to my assessment on Bystedt. I think 3 years in the SHL and AHL will be great for his development. Fisher and Furlong both stood out to me as well. Merkley, I don’t think he’s gonna be apart of the long term plan under MG. Just feels like he’s going to eventually be a prospect piece in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad