Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I like that some of our draft picks are playing on the same team. This seems to be uncommon.
My brother-in-law lives on the other side of the Charles River in Boston, so I might need to convince my wife to pay him a visit during hockey season when we can go to a game at Northeastern. Would be pretty fun to be able to track Lund and Fisher from freshman year on. (Would also be nice if they have any weekend away games at Union or RPI, right near me, but I'm not going to get too hopeful for that.)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It's probably not fair, but my excitement for these prospects will probably heavily be based on how guys like Coe, Eklund, Wiesblatt, etc. do this year. If a bunch of those guys can really knock out socks off, it'll be some proof that the scouting staff knows what they are doing.

Reactions: Bowie22

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I see the teal tinted glasses have successfully brainwashed you

it does seem like this pick continues to give us more evidence of DW Jr's zone transition fetish though.
Oh no, he's still going to grade mediocre on a bunch of things. But he does have a good carrying ability, and could get a lot better with skating and stickhandling improvements.

The aspect that has stuck out the most is his off-puck awareness. He's really good at recognizing bounces, angles and when the puck is going to be at certain parts of the ice. He gets there first a lot of times because he reacts really well. It's normally always something with a prospect that sticks out. Gushchin carrying the puck, Coe's passing, Cardwell's retrieval, Robins's stickwork.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Oh no, he's still going to grade mediocre on a bunch of things. But he does have a good carrying ability, and could get a lot better with skating and stickhandling improvements.

The aspect that has stuck out the most is his off-puck awareness. He's really good at recognizing bounces, angles and when the puck is going to be at certain parts of the ice. He gets there first a lot of times because he reacts really well. It's normally always something with a prospect that sticks out. Gushchin carrying the puck, Coe's passing, Cardwell's retrieval, Robins's stickwork.
I think Bystedt will make massive improvements to the parts of his game that are currently mediocre. Playing big minutes in Linkopings and these international tournaments will help his developmental immensely. I find it odd that people are so bullish on Lambert and his skill set and it being off the charts, yet Bystedt and Lambert have had practically the same production at the mens level. Bystedt will adjust much better over these next few seasons than Lambert will to a mens game is my prediction.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think Bystedt will make massive improvements to the parts of his game that are currently mediocre. Playing big minutes in Linkopings and these international tournaments will help his developmental immensely. I find it odd that people are so bullish on Lambert and his skill set and it being off the charts, yet Bystedt and Lambert have had practically the same production at the mens level. Bystedt will adjust much better over these next few seasons than Lambert will to a mens game is my prediction.
I think people's problem with Bystedt is he doesn't have 1 amazing factor to his game that some other 1st rounders had, but he's pretty good at most things. To use Lambert for example, sure he has that elite skating, but Bystedt seems to be an overall smarter player, which is something San Jose has valued.

Bystedt seems to be a lot like Brandon Coe. A bigger guy in size, but plays the game with a some pace and skill rather than going out there hitting things. The plus for Bystedt there though is he is a center, already has experience playing against men, and was obviously drafted much higher.

It would be cool if Bystedt makes Team Sweden for the summer WJC and we get to see him on the ice with Eklund for some shifts.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I think people's problem with Bystedt is he doesn't have 1 amazing factor to his game that some other 1st rounders had, but he's pretty good at most things. To use Lambert for example, sure he has that elite skating, but Bystedt seems to be an overall smarter player, which is something San Jose has valued.

Bystedt seems to be a lot like Brandon Coe. A bigger guy in size, but plays the game with a some pace and skill rather than going out there hitting things. The plus for Bystedt there though is he is a center, already has experience playing against men, and was obviously drafted much higher.

It would be cool if Bystedt makes Team Sweden for the summer WJC and we get to see him on the ice with Eklund for some shifts.
I don’t really see a way he’s NOT on the WJC team at some point soon. The last tourney he took part in he produced pretty damn well.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I’m not 100% so someone can let me know if I’m wrong but I believe Eklund is on the roster for August while Bystedt isn’t and Bystedt is on the roster for December while Eklund isn’t.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I’m not 100% so someone can let me know if I’m wrong but I believe Eklund is on the roster for August while Bystedt isn’t and Bystedt is on the roster for December while Eklund isn’t.
Yeah, it’s weird to me the August roster has a centerman who has like zero points in 18-20 games and he’s an overager, while Bystedt isn’t included. Maybe he ends up on the December roster after going 27. A way for Sweden to showcase its higher rated prospects.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, it’s weird to me the August roster has a centerman who has like zero points in 18-20 games and he’s an overager, while Bystedt isn’t included. Maybe he ends up on the December roster after going 27. A way for Sweden to showcase its higher rated prospects.
The Swedish coach Monten seems kinda dumb based on what the WJC posters say. Like Stakkestad doesn't really seem to be that good but he's locked in as their 3C or something

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
The Swedish coach Monten seems kinda dumb based on what the WJC posters say. Like Stakkestad doesn't really seem to be that good but he's locked in as their 3C or something
That’s exactly the guy I’m talking about. He has like zero production. Bystedt should be slotting in over him easily.

sameoldfury

Jan 23, 2017
My brother-in-law lives on the other side of the Charles River in Boston, so I might need to convince my wife to pay him a visit during hockey season when we can go to a game at Northeastern. Would be pretty fun to be able to track Lund and Fisher from freshman year on. (Would also be nice if they have any weekend away games at Union or RPI, right near me, but I'm not going to get too hopeful for that.)
Ask and ye shall receive - NU is heading to Union on 12/3.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Missing camp....

College kids may not have the $$ to be able to pay their way, hotel, meals, activities. (That may be the reason Chrona didn't participate.)

It is possible that kids that missed had other plans. Say, a covid-delayed family wedding.

Injury.

Often, one of the pressers has the question asked to why player X didn't attend. I don't recall that got asked this year.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Missing camp....

College kids may not have the $$ to be able to pay their way, hotel, meals, activities. (That may be the reason Chrona didn't participate.)

It is possible that kids that missed had other plans. Say, a covid-delayed family wedding.

Injury.

Often, one of the pressers has the question asked to why player X didn't attend. I don't recall that got asked this year.
I thought that with the NCAA allowing college kids the chance to make some money, the team might be able to find some work around with that.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Thinking about it, it might be a cap circumvention if he signed NIL with Sharks.

Bow, if he signed with a hockey equipment company or something, that's probably ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad