LeBrun: Sharks & Karlsson ''on same page'' to try and get a trade done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
It's not just spending 20 million to get back assets. It's 20 million + whatever ticket + jersey revenue the Sharks generate by having all star Karlsson on their team. He was the only reason the Sharks got mentioned at all last season, they have nothing else going for them. He will at least put fans in the seats.
You really don't know of what you speak

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Isn't Mike Hoffman on MTL? If so, wouldn't that be a problem? Or was there some resolution between them I wasn't aware of?
Yooo I actually forgot about him :laugh:

Yeah he would have to go in that situation. Probably requires another 2nd round pick from Montreal to get rid of him to a 3rd party.

I don't think Karlsson and Hoffman will ever make up, but I do believe the resolution of the issue was that Hoffman and his ex GF never did any of the things they were accused of, but that Hoffman's GF was a nightmare either way, and that Karlsson and his wife can't really be faulted for believing that it was Hoffman's GF, considering how nasty of a person she was, after they experienced a tragedy.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Still the best off you've got in this thread, am I wrong?

He would easily waive to Montreal. Think he would waive to whoever wants him, but they're better than the Sharks, they're close to Ottawa, they need a RHD, EK gets a chance to play in the spotlight, Montreal is a better city than San Jose, etc.
I don't know. I didn't read all the responses. I was actually referring to Hoffman being the problem. But another poster spelled it out above.

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I find it very very difficult to gauge his value.

11.5 a year for the next 4 years for the current Norris winner (assuming he wins) sounds like a fair contract, therefore his value should be high, but its not.

Given that it was such a resurgence and such a high risk/high reward type of deal, its hard to say.

At 50% retainer his value is obviously really high, but the risk remains.

I see them getting a first round pick and a decent D prospect, but nothing insanely high or close to the package the sharks gave up to get him.

Seattle makes the most sense as a team with cap room looking to take a big next step after a very strong playoff run. Upgrade over Schaltz who is currently in the role Karlsson would step into.

Seattle gets:
Karlsson (50% retained)

SJS gets:
20th overall in 2023
Ryker Evans

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Tough sell to get an owner to spend 20 million on nothing over the next 4 years
Or the owner can spend 46 million over the next 4 years, get no assets back and get zero playoff revenue. No one is taking Karlsson at his full value. If the Sharks want a good return they’re probably going to have to retain 4 million a season and take back a contract in the 4-6 million dollar range.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I find it very very difficult to gauge his value.

11.5 a year for the next 4 years for the current Norris winner (assuming he wins) sounds like a fair contract, therefore his value should be high, but its not.

Given that it was such a resurgence and such a high risk/high reward type of deal, its hard to say.

At 50% retainer his value is obviously really high, but the risk remains.

I see them getting a first round pick and a decent D prospect, but nothing insanely high or close to the package the sharks gave up to get him.

Seattle makes the most sense as a team with cap room looking to take a big next step after a very strong playoff run. Upgrade over Schaltz who is currently in the role Karlsson would step into.

Seattle gets:
Karlsson (50% retained)

SJS gets:
20th overall in 2023
Ryker Evans

That's nowhere near enough for Karlsson at 50%. You have to pay the price for Karlsson at 5.75M, and then pay an additional price to San Jose for taking 5.75m of dead cap for the next 4 years, which is worth at least 2 1st round picks.

Or the owner can spend 46 million over the next 4 years, get no assets back and get zero playoff revenue. No one is taking Karlsson at his full value. If the Sharks want a good return they’re probably going to have to retain 4 million a season and take back a contract in the 4-6 million dollar range.
Or they can trade him with zero retention, receive a couple roster player cap dumps, and a couple 1st round picks/prospects? I think SJ management would much prefer that option, at least they would have lower salary less term cap dumps to deal with over the next 4 years, and they don't have a 5.75m dead cap.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
This is pretty much the package the sharks gave up to get him.
Not really.

Norris was just taken 17th overall by SJS in 2017.
The first was unprotected and turned out to be #3 - Tim Stutzle
The two second round picks ended up being 39th and 44th overall. Early seconds.
Tierney was a 40 point 22 year old at the time of the trade.

I know draft picks are tough to gauge and SJS finishing 28th wasnt in the plan but it was still an unprotected first, two seconds, a roster player (Tierney) and a very recent first round draft pick (Norris)

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Not really.

I know draft picks are tough to gauge and SJS finishing 28th wasnt in the plan but it was still an unprotected first, two seconds, a roster player (Tierney) and a very recent first round draft pick (Norris)

You forgot Dylan Demelo.

Ottawa's new owner can really hit a homerun by bringing back Karlsson.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
EK and McDavid together would be so fun and good for the NHL.

I'm just not sure it's the right move for Edmonton tbh.
EK dishing it to McD at full flight would be the most fun I've had watching hockey since the Avs - wings rivalry

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
You forgot Dylan Demelo.

Ottawa's new owner can really hit a homerun by bringing back Karlsson.
You think that would fly ? I always, or mostly, assume that once a GM trades a player they are usually gone for ever and the relationship ends. I could see if it was a different GM but its not. Although almost everything else, from toxic ownership to the teams outlook, has changed drastically. Tough to say how the situation affected the parties involved but seemed somewhat but not overly amicable at the time. I think the sens offered him something like 80 million and he said no thanks, so who knows.

There was also a bunch of drama involving the wives etc. Maybe its still a hard no from Mrs.Karllson despite Hoffmans wife being long gone

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You think that would fly ? I always, or mostly, assume that once a GM trades a player they are usually gone for ever and the relationship ends. I could see if it was a different GM but its not. Although almost everything else, from toxic ownership to the teams outlook, has changed drastically. Tough to say how the situation affected the parties involved but seemed somewhat but not overly amicable at the time. I think the sens offered him something like 80 million and he said no thanks, so who knows.

Dorion's days are numbered. Andlauer can rekindle the relationship as I don't think Karlsson ever had a problem with Ottawa, but moreso with Melnyk + the drama involving Hoffman.

My only hiccup would be if the dynamic of the team would change. Former captain comes back home to a new team with a young captain who is now the face of the franchise.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not really.

Norris wasn’t projected as more of a middle 6 guy and clearly the two picks were expected to be low in rounds 1 and 2. Balcers, Demelo and Tierney were role players at best but easily replaceable. If the sharks can recoup the 1st and 2nd and a prospect 5 years afterwards I’d consider that a win even if it requires retention.

3way idea.

To Carolina: Karlsson 25%
To Edmonton: Pesce
To San Jose: Edmonton 1st, Warren Foegele / Carolina 1st, Flyers 2nd, Carolina 2nd, Morrow

2 1st, 2 2nd, (any prospect not named Nikishin really) and Cap dump for 25% retaining of Karlsson
Dunno why you’d want Burns and EK together again.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think for the Oilers it starts with Campbell going the other way.

Karlsson at 8M

Campbell at 3M + Ceci + Yamamoto + Broberg + Bourgault + 2024 1st

At 3M it makes Campbell easier to buy out bury or trade with some retention for the Sharks. Ceci and Yamamoto balances the cap. Gives the Sharks 3 young pieces to help their rebuild.

To be honest I rather go for Pesce if he would sign an extension in Edmonton .

Grinner

May 31, 2022
3way idea.

To Carolina: Karlsson 25%
To Edmonton: Pesce
To San Jose: Edmonton 1st, Warren Foegele / Carolina 1st, Flyers 2nd, Carolina 2nd, Morrow

2 1st, 2 2nd, (any prospect not named Nikishin really) and Cap dump for 25% retaining of Karlsson
[/QUOTE]
I like this as a Sharks fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad