Sharks Joe Thornton hit on Capitals TJ Oshie

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The way I read the title thread, I thought there was going to be a lighthearted video of Thornton flirting with Oshie.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Definitey suspension worthy. NHL busch league will do nothing.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Should be a suspension. If Oshie is eligible to be hit there, then no problem. You committed to the hit, then he fell over and changed his positioning, and that kind of exonerates you.

But when you're hitting a guy illegally to begin with, I think all mitigating factors go out the window. You don't get the same considerations because this isn't a hockey play. Oshie here did not have the puck, and this isn't a case of finishing a check either, because he didn't have the puck to begin the sequence. He's going to hit Couture as Couture is playing it, and then Thornton comes in and hits him. Under no circumstances should Thornton be allowed to hit Oshie there.

Reactions: The S5

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Thornton isn't a head hunter and the Sharks aren't a dirty team.

What's funny is a guy with "Perry" in his name is talking about playing dirty......you love a pest who does stupid things ALL the time. Don't be a hypocrite.

i never said he should have been hitting him, but Oshie fell while Thornton was going in for the hit. He may have purposely been going to hit him, but not in the head.

You have no clue what your talking about. Your naming a situation, or situations that probably didn't happen, but your going to attempt to bend the truth to create this Dirty player...

Next time, come back with some better evidence than this broad and situational argument that probably didn't happen.

thats all? A list of "travesties" that star players like Malkin ans Crosby share as well? That's your evidence of his dirtiness? Not just that, but the fact that they are very random plays that you can't prove actually happened..."Ya that slash on Datsyuk back in 2010! That was so dirty! Thornton has always been dirty!!

Not a bad list for a guy who was suspended ONCE and has played 20 years in the league.....wow so dirty!

Well your logic is all off if you see the spectrum as there's either Cooke/Domi, or Thornton, dirty is dirty? Makes no sense.

Dumbo has always been a dirty player. Doug Gilmour played what 22 years? Pretty sure he was suspended 3 times? That obviously means Gilmour wasn't a dirty player by your standards. Corey Perry has played 13 seasons and only suspended what 2 times? Choir boy for sure. How many times was the saint of all saints Claude Lemieux suspended, once?

There are tons of dirty plays that never so much as get a penalty much less a suspension. Big Dumbo has always played the game dirty. Not to the extent as some others but dirty nonetheless.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Dumbo has always been a dirty player. Doug Gilmour played what 22 years? Pretty sure he was suspended 3 times? That obviously means Gilmour wasn't a dirty player by your standards. Corey Perry has played 13 seasons and only suspended what 2 times? Choir boy for sure. How many times was the saint of all saints Claude Lemieux suspended, once?

There are tons of dirty plays that never so much as get a penalty much less a suspension. Big Dumbo has always played the game dirty. Not to the extent as some others but dirty nonetheless.
How has he always been a dirty player?

It's funny how one incident like this has so many crying about how he ALWAYS has been dirty, yet the only reasoning people have to show for that is the Peron hit....Thornton isn't a dirty player, just because you don't like him or this hit on a Oshie doesn't suddenly qualify him as this "dirty" player who everyone likes to claim. Get grip on the term DIRTY and then come back to the convo.

Perry is INFAMOUS for being dirty and a pest....Joe isn't. Perry does clownish crap all the time and has had is fair share of controversy, Thornton hasn't.

Chippy? Rough? Physical? Edgy? Those are terms your probably looking for, not dirty. Your just making a blanket statement over any and every circumstance where things got edgy.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
How has he always been a dirty player?

It's funny how one incident like this has so many crying about how he ALWAYS has been dirty, yet the only reasoning people have to show for that is the Peron hit....Thornton isn't a dirty player, just because you don't like him or this hit on a Oshie doesn't suddenly qualify him as this "dirty" player who everyone likes to claim. Get grip on the term DIRTY and then come back to the convo.

Perry is INFAMOUS for being dirty and a pest....Joe isn't. Perry does clownish crap all the time and has had is fair share of controversy, Thornton hasn't.

Chippy? Rough? Physical? Edgy? Those are terms your probably looking for, not dirty. Your just making a blanket statement over any and every circumstance where things got edgy.

I'm positive if you go through my history this is far from the first time that I said Dumbo is dirty. Chippy? Rough? Physical? Edgy? I guess since all those apply to my other examples they weren't dirty either. That and the fact I can't name to you specifically every single time Dumbo made a dirty play away from the puck it's like it never happened.

I don't like or dislike Dumbo. He's dirty. He's always played dirty. You're obviously a fan of his and might have a slight man crush on him by the way you're defending him. It's ok. Anyone that watches Dumbo play enough knows he's dirty, end of story.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Clearly I was talking about the supposed slashes and spears.

Right....he knew exactly what he was doing :laugh:

Classy of the Caps though for putting out an enforcer the start of the next period to instigate a fight.
People keep saying that, but I'm not sure they understand what it means. Who intentionally hits a guy in the head with their ass??

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm positive if you go through my history this is far from the first time that I said Dumbo is dirty. Chippy? Rough? Physical? Edgy? I guess since all those apply to my other examples they weren't dirty either. That and the fact I can't name to you specifically every single time Dumbo made a dirty play away from the puck it's like it never happened.

I don't like or dislike Dumbo. He's dirty. He's always played dirty. You're obviously a fan of his and might have a slight man crush on him by the way you're defending him. It's ok. Anyone that watches Dumbo play enough knows he's dirty, end of story.
Yes, your feelings are totally neutral towards 'Dumbo'

Unbiased observer here!

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Wilson lost? :laugh:

Thornton landed all the punches. While wilson landed maybe a glancing shoulder shot as thornton was falling down.

Unless your only interpretation of a fight win is who lands on top when both players hit the ice then yes wilson lost the fight.

You can't win a fight if you land no punches lol.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If the puck was around Oshie or had it just left his stick, then I'm fine with this. But given what the commentator said, it sounds like it was really late. Hard to say when there's only that one angle as far as where the puck is.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

You clearly don't understand what "dirty" means. Just because you continuously say he's dirty without any evidence doesn't suddenly make it true.

You obviously don't watch him play enough to make the assumption that he is dirty. Your also calling him "dumbo"....how can I take anything you say seriously?

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If the puck was around Oshie or had it just left his stick, then I'm fine with this. But given what the commentator said, it sounds like it was really late. Hard to say when there's only that one angle as far as where the puck is.
It's not that it was even late. It's a loose puck in the corner. Couture wins the race to it clearly, and goes to clear it. Wilson goes to check him as he clears it. Thornton, who had been chasing Wilson the whole way into the corner, hits him right after he hits Couture. At no point in this process did Wilson have the puck or even attempt to make a play on it. Thornton is basically committing the whole time to hit a guy who doesn't have the puck.

He didn't mean to hit him hard, I don't think, but it's still never a hit that is going to be legal no matter how he makes it.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
People keep saying that, but I'm not sure they understand what it means. Who intentionally hits a guy in the head with their ass??

Someone who recognizes the opportunity to do that, and then does it.

So, Joe Thornton.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
You have no clue what your talking about. Your naming a situation, or situations that probably didn't happen, but your going to attempt to bend the truth to create this Dirty player...

Next time, come back with some better evidence than this broad and situational argument that probably didn't happen.
got me.

just making up stories. i make them especially detailed to throw off geniuses like you who see through my ruse. f***in knob.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
got me.

just making up stories. i make them especially detailed to throw off geniuses like you who see through my ruse. ****in knob.
Slash on this person, spear on that person....do you have actual evidence of his dirtiness? Do you have anything that doesn't happen every damn game? I imagine you don't.

Don't be so sensitive. It's not your fault you can't come up with better situations, it's simply because there aren't many to choose from. Everything is going to be ok :thumbu:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Slash on this person, spear on that person....do you have actual evidence of his dirtiness? Do you have anything that doesn't happen every damn game? I imagine you don't.

Don't be so sensitive. It's not your fault you can't come up with better situations, it's simply because there aren't many to choose from. Everything is going to be ok :thumbu:
when did i say anything about a slash or a spear? sounds like you're the one with the imagination around here.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Thornton landed all the punches. While wilson landed maybe a glancing shoulder shot as thornton was falling down.

Unless your only interpretation of a fight win is who lands on top when both players hit the ice then yes wilson lost the fight.

You can't win a fight if you land no punches lol.
Boy you really had to do some mental gymnastics to write this post.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
HFBoards: Where NHL players are the best skaters on the planet (until they can't be expected to use their edges).
Where elite playmakers make split second reads and reactions that seem almost impossible (until they... just can't, for some reason).
Where the only way you can apparently do something on purpose is if there's a diagram and plans, like a good old fashioned heist.

Joe Thornton can anticipate passing lanes and whip pucks through them like nobody's business, needs multiple seconds to process "Player vulnerable, maybe don't hit". Ridiculous.

Reactions: tny760

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Joe Thornton can anticipate passing lanes and whip pucks through them like nobody's business, needs multiple seconds to process "Player vulnerable, maybe don't hit". Ridiculous.
prove it bro

prove it

where's the video

yeah none? didn't think so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad