Sharks Joe Thornton hit on Capitals TJ Oshie

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
People seriously have no idea of the rules here?

How should this be any lesser of an penalty because JT could have tuned him up even worse? It's still against the rules.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
prove it bro

prove it

where's the video

yeah none? didn't think so
That's cute. Don't be mad just because you make accusations that you can't back up

How should this be any lesser of an penalty because JT could have tuned him up even worse? It's still against the rules.
No one is saying it isn't a penalty in general. It should have been a penalty, just that the "head shot" is nothing but an unfortunate circumstance.

If Oshie never fell, and Thornton ended up hitting him, it could or could have not been called.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose

Except if Oshie doesn't fall, it's interference at best. He should try to stay on his feet.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Don't have a dog in this fight but if theres one guy who knows about faking........

maybe you should watch replays of that entire series with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and many other Red Wings diving all over the place.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I can see both sides of the argument here and in slow motion it look very bad, but at full speed it looks much less deliberate.

However when you look at it in the context of where the puck is, it’s very late. So it’s a late hit, that at best is clumsy. For me if the hit is late you should pay the penalty for any unintended consequences regardless. Deliberate or not Thornton makes himself accountable.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You can clearly see in the OP that Thornton watches Oshie the whole time and makes sure he guides his hip into Oshie's head. It's not really even debatable unless you want to clear Thornton from responsibility for that deliberate hit.

And seriously...slipped during the fight? You can clearly see his hair move from the punch. He reacted exactly as you would expect for someone taking a shot and going down, not someone simply losing and trying to sustain balance. Anyone who's been in a fight knows this.

I like Thornton but let's be reality.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Don't have a dog in this fight but if theres one guy who knows about faking........

Revisiting this thread I decided to look at the Joe diving vid.

Wow, that's much worse than I expected. Thornton acts like he was shot w/nobody near him. He snaps his head like he was hit by an invisible stick or punch. Then you can see JT grinning like a kid raiding the cookie jar. Not sure what was called, but appears the DRW got an undeserved penalty. Ref should have been disciplined for gross incompetence. I've never seen a more blatant dive... makes Sid look amateurish :snide:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Thornton is a dirty goony pice of trash of a hockey player and always has been.

thisisverypainful

May 7, 2016
And seriously...slipped during the fight? You can clearly see his hair move from the punch. He reacted exactly as you would expect for someone taking a shot and going down, not someone simply losing and trying to sustain balance. Anyone who's been in a fight knows this.

You'd have to be pretty goddamn stupid to look at the video and believe this.

Then again, this is HFBoards we're talking about. I struggle to believe 75% of the people here can leave the house without wearing a helmet.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You can clearly see in the OP that Thornton watches Oshie the whole time and makes sure he guides his hip into Oshie's head. It's not really even debatable unless you want to clear Thornton from responsibility for that deliberate hit.

So Thornton knew Oshie was going to slip in that one second that he went for the hit, and the a mans face is now connected to their bicep.....I mean really? His hair moves in a motion that a person who got punched in the face would react like?

Thornton can tell the future and defies the laws of anatomy....gotcha.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Revisiting this thread I decided to look at the Joe diving vid.

Wow, that's much worse than I expected. Thornton acts like he was shot w/nobody near him. He snaps his head like he was hit by an invisible stick or punch. Then you can see JT grinning like a kid raiding the cookie jar. Not sure what was called, but appears the DRW got an undeserved penalty. Ref should have been disciplined for gross incompetence. I've never seen a more blatant dive... makes Sid look amateurish :snide:
He slashed him on the skate and Thornton embellished, selling the penalty....so no it wasn't an "undeserved" penalty. Thornton dressed it up because he decided to slash him at the ankle.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Your first part is crap. There's literally nothing Thornton could have done once Oshie fell. He was committed to the hit and physically couldn't stop.

The second part there have been videos posted in this very thread showing Wilson hit Thornton's shoulder as he fell back. If you chose to ignore them that's your problem but don't lie to the rest of us.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Your first part is crap. There's literally nothing Thornton could have done once Oshie fell. He was committed to the hit and physically couldn't stop.

The second part there have been videos posted in this very thread showing Wilson hit Thornton's shoulder as he fell back. If you chose to ignore them that's your problem but don't lie to the rest of us.

The hit was deliberate. He watched his target and guided his lower body into it. Full stop.

Now that I've seen it the front angle video is less convincing regarding the hit, I agree. Not that it matters. 4-1 ;)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Why is he committing to a hit of a player that doesn’t even have the puck

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The hit was deliberate. He watched his target and guided his lower body into it. Full stop.

Now that I've seen it the front angle video is less convincing regarding the hit, I agree. Not that it matters. 4-1 ;)
The hit was deliberate in the sense he was making a hit, but his target wasn't Oshie's head. Oshie and Thornton had been running at each other in a previous shift and he was attempting to give him a 'howdoyado' bump into the boards.

I would have been fine if they would have disciplined him for hitting Oshie without the puck, but wouldn't have agreed if they said it was because he targeted his head.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Jumbo and Oshie

60tI2ph.gif

Reactions: pitviper2057

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Bull****. His skates literally move past the 90 degrees required to stop until his heels are pointed at Oshie by the time of contact. He could also, by the way, just stick his arms out and absorb the impact push-up style, which would have required even less of him.

You would have to be very, very stupid to actually believe that, based on the way NHL players react to the litany of other events that occur in NHL games.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Looked like Thornton was determined to lay some kind of hit on Oshie all the way up the ice as he was chasing him. Then, didn't really see an opportunity and kind of, well, just still ran into him however he could (in this case but first). Kind of a cheap shot, but that's what Joe will do when you piss him off......

Last edited:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I love it when Caps fans whine about this play yet were adamant that Niskanen's headshot on Crosby during last year's playoffs was perfectly legal.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I love it when Caps fans whine about this play yet were adamant that Niskanen's headshot on Crosby during last year's playoffs was perfectly legal.

And are perfectly fine with having human trash can Tom Wilson on their team...the hypocrisy is real

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad