Sharks Joe Thornton hit on Capitals TJ Oshie

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
The hit was deliberate. He watched his target and guided his lower body into it. Full stop.

Now that I've seen it the front angle video is less convincing regarding the hit, I agree. Not that it matters. 4-1 ;)
Does he have eyes in the back of his head or something?

This is coming from the same person who can't tell the difference between his bicep and his face....so....
Bull****. His skates literally move past the 90 degrees required to stop until his heels are pointed at Oshie by the time of contact. He could also, by the way, just stick his arms out and absorb the impact push-up style, which would have required even less of him.

You would have to be very, very stupid to actually believe that, based on the way NHL players react to the litany of other events that occur in NHL games.
except at full speed, it's clear as day he can't just stop....especially when the player he is hitting suddenly starts falling as he is going on for the hit.

Pretty simple stuff.
And are perfectly fine with having human trash can Tom Wilson on their team...the hypocrisy is real
and sending him out later on AFTER the hit, to instigate a fight.....very classy.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Your first part is crap. There's literally nothing Thornton could have done once Oshie fell. He was committed to the hit and physically couldn't stop.
Your excuse of JTs dirty hit on Oshie has been answered by others.

The second part there have been videos posted in this very thread showing Wilson hit Thornton's shoulder as he fell back. If you chose to ignore them that's your problem but don't lie to the rest of us.
Some posters above were implying that b/c Wilson connected w/JTs shoulder, and not his head, it shouldn't count as a KD. Which is ridiculous.

I re-watched the vid. It looks like JT is trying to slip Wilson's punch, and Wilson clearly connects as JT drops. Do you think if JT wasn't trying to slip the punch and took the punch flush (to shoulder or jaw/head area) that he wouldn't have been decked. Get fooking real. Ol' Joe realized that falling on his big ass was far better than getting clocked by Tom :D YMMV.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Does he have eyes in the back of his head or something?

This is coming from the same person who can't tell the difference between his bicep and his face....so....

except at full speed, it's clear as day he can't just stop....especially when the player he is hitting suddenly starts falling as he is going on for the hit.

Pretty simple stuff.

and sending him out later on AFTER the hit, to instigate a fight.....very classy.

Get on skates a time or two. He could have stopped if he'd wanted to. He could have done a variety of other things to not hit Oshie directly in the head. Considering that Oshie wasn't legal to be checked, it's all extra anyway. Why are there so many Sharks fans in here crying about tangential garbage?

What kind of idiot bizarro world is this where certain players aren't allowed to take shifts anymore because other players made bull**** hits? Why is Joe Thornton now apparently incapable of making decisions for himself? If he'd skated back into the play, Wilson would just be an idiot standing around waiting for a fight that wasn't coming. If he'd actually gone to any illegal means in order to make that fight a reality anyway, you bet your ass he'd get an extra penalty.

You don't have to parrot every dumb thing your coach says.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I love it when Caps fans whine about this play yet were adamant that Niskanen's headshot on Crosby during last year's playoffs was perfectly legal.
Given the vids I've seen here of JTs diving I'm sure he gave Sid a Master Class on it. Makes sense you'd admire the pupil as much as the teacher :D
Have you never seen any of the numerous vids on youtube of Sid & Geno's uh, questionable plays? Of course Mario always plays the victim :huh:

Be grateful you're in the WC and don't have to face Pitt w/ "choir boys" Sid, Geno & co. If you think the Sharks quest for a SC has been difficult w/o being in the same Conference as Pitt you don't know anything. That lone SC final appearance in 2016 most likely would never have happened. How did you make out vs one of the NHLs darlings in 2016? Right.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Get on skates a time or two. He could have stopped if he'd wanted to. He could have done a variety of other things to not hit Oshie directly in the head. Considering that Oshie wasn't legal to be checked, it's all extra anyway. Why are there so many Sharks fans in here crying about tangential garbage?

What kind of idiot bizarro world is this where certain players aren't allowed to take shifts anymore because other players made bull**** hits? Why is Joe Thornton now apparently incapable of making decisions for himself? If he'd skated back into the play, Wilson would just be an idiot standing around waiting for a fight that wasn't coming. If he'd actually gone to any illegal means in order to make that fight a reality anyway, you bet your ass he'd get an extra penalty.

You don't have to parrot every dumb thing your coach says.
Again, you can't say anything because you were not in the situation. "Could have easily." Are you kidding me? You want to talk like you play, yet you totally disregard the pace of the game and how it is.

Should he have been hitting Oshie? No....did he mean to hit him in the head? No, and you can't honestly say by your "expertise" what he should or shouldn't have done.

The same logic where Thornton is this nasty dirty player, who purposely head hunts.....yet sending out a Goon to take revenge for a hit that was CLEARLY an unfortunate one.....yet that's classy and totally ok.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Bull****. His skates literally move past the 90 degrees required to stop until his heels are pointed at Oshie by the time of contact. He could also, by the way, just stick his arms out and absorb the impact push-up style, which would have required even less of him.

You would have to be very, very stupid to actually believe that, based on the way NHL players react to the litany of other events that occur in NHL games.
You'd have to be very stupid to believe that Thornton had enough time to process that Oshie fell and that he could turn his skates and stop on a dime. Also, if he gets his arms up they go into Oshie's head and people would say he did that on purpose.

Unfortunate result, but Oshie fell at the last minute when Thornton was already committed.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Your excuse of JTs dirty hit on Oshie has been answered by others.

Some posters above were implying that b/c Wilson connected w/JTs shoulder, and not his head, it shouldn't count as a KD. Which is ridiculous.

I re-watched the vid. It looks like JT is trying to slip Wilson's punch, and Wilson clearly connects as JT drops. Do you think if JT wasn't trying to slip the punch and took the punch flush (to shoulder or jaw/head area) that he wouldn't have been decked. Get fooking real. Ol' Joe realized that falling on his big ass was far better than getting clocked by Tom :D YMMV.
There's really no debate where he took the punch (the shoulder) so I don't know what you're getting at here, besides the fact a guy can get knocked down by a no impact punch in the anterior part of the shoulder while his momentum is already going back...

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
There's really no debate where he took the punch (the shoulder) so I don't know what you're getting at here,
Well I'm not going to spend the time to go back through this thread and see exactly which posters acted like b/c JT took a punch to the shoulder area it had no affect on JTs falling. So we agree (it's clear) he was hit in the shoulder area.

besides the fact a guy can get knocked down by a no impact punch in the anterior part of the shoulder while his momentum is already going back...
The punch Tom Wilson threw was far from a "no impact" shot. If JT wasn't slipping the punch - or just lost his balance - do you think if that punch landed it wouldn't have dropped JT? C'mon.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Well I'm not going to spend the time to go back through this thread and see exactly which posters acted like b/c JT took a punch to the shoulder area it had no affect on JTs falling. So we agree (it's clear) he was hit in the shoulder area.

The punch Tom Wilson threw was far from a "no impact" shot. If JT wasn't slipping the punch - or just lost his balance - do you think if that punch landed it wouldn't

The punch Tom Wilson threw was far from a "no impact" shot. If JT wasn't slipping the punch - or just lost his balance - do you think if that punch landed it wouldn't have dropped JT? C'mon.

It was a no impact punch though. You can't play the what if game and say thornton got KO'ed because you believe that is what would of happened if the punch actually landed on something that thornton could feel.

Reactions: Clowe Me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad