Proposal: Sharks/Islanders

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The Isles would take this trade even without the player coming back in return.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I don't really have an issue with the trade value, but why would the Sharks make this trade?

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Not interested. Too much drama with him for not really putting up quality numbers since he's been drafted.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I don't really have an issue with the trade value, but why would the Sharks make this trade?

I like Roy, but I think after the Karlsson trade we are certainly a little lacking in our forward prospect pool. Roy is arguably behind guys like DeSimone, Merkley, Ferraro. And with Vlasic, Burns and hopefully Karlsson all locked up, we simply don’t have that many spots available. Meanwhile, while we have a few good pieces at forward, such as the Ch-twins, Letunov, Gambrell, none of them have the pure ceiling of a guy like Ho Sang. It would serve to finally replace Goldobin as our boom or bust prospect.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I like Roy, but I think after the Karlsson trade we are certainly a little lacking in our forward prospect pool. Roy is arguably behind guys like DeSimone, Merkley, Ferraro. And with Vlasic, Burns and hopefully Karlsson all locked up, we simply don’t have that many spots available. Meanwhile, while we have a few good pieces at forward, such as the Ch-twins, Letunov, Gambrell, none of them have the pure ceiling of a guy like Ho Sang. It would serve to finally replace Goldobin as our boom or bust prospect.

Unless I am mistaken, Ho-sang is a player who needs/wants ice time now, and not 3rd/4th line time. Not really a prospect per se any more.

So if I am not mistaken, who are you taking out of our top 6 for him? And then who on our third line is getting bumped to the 4th?

That's why I said the value didn't look bad to me, however I just do not see where he fits in the team.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Unless I am mistaken, Ho-sang is a player who needs/wants ice time now, and not 3rd/4th line time. Not really a prospect per se any more.

So if I am not mistaken, who are you taking out of our top 6 for him? And then who on our third line is getting bumped to the 4th?

That's why I said the value didn't look bad to me, however I just do not see where he fits in the team.
You don't need to worry, we arent trading Ho Sang. He is too talented to trade him for anything teams would reasonably give us. That's on Josh. So why reward non compliance? We gain nothing by trading him and we stand to lose a lot if he suddenly decided to grow up. As presently constituted the only person he is sabotaging is himself.

So he'll stay in Bridgeport until he's 27 and is eligible for free agency. By then he may or may not carve out some semblance of a career but by then it really won't matter one way or the other, he'll have wasted much of his earning potential simply because he thought he knew better. There is no upside in trading him, only downside for the Islanders and it's better to send the message that no player is above the team. Than to reward him for his actions. I'm sure many of you will say " but there's always a chance you'll get something worthwhile for him" and that is true, but the chance that he finally wakes up and delivers on his immense talent when he's finally traded is greater, than anything we would recieve.

So unless you're offering a 1st or an equally talented high profile young player don't even bother, because he made his decisions and we are not in the business of helping other franchises acquire talent at a loss to our own. The Islanders have acted in good faith in regard to Ho Sang, he has not. So whatever happens next is out of our hands.

Last edited:

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
You don't need to worry, we arent trading Ho Sang. He is too talented to trade him for anything teams would reasonably give us. That's on Josh. So why reward non compliance? We gain nothing by trading him and we stand to lose a lot of he suddenly decided to grow up. As presently constituted the only person he is sabotaging is himself.

So he'll stay in Bridgeport until he's 27 and is eligible for free agency. By then he may or may not carve out some semblance of a career but by then it really won't matter one way or the other, he'll have wasted much of his earning potential simply because he thought he knew better. There is no upside in trading him, only downside for the Islanders and it's better to send the message that no player is above the team. Than to reward him for his actions. I'm sure many of you will say " but there's always a chance you'll get something worthwhile for him" and that is true, but the chance that he finally wakes up and delivers on his immense talent when he's finally traded is greater, than anything we would recieve.

So unless you're offering a 1st or an equally talented high profile young player don't even bother, because he made his decisions and we are not in the business of helping other franchises acquire talent at a loss to our own. The Islanders have acted in good faith in regard to Ho Sang, he has not. So whatever happens next is out of our hands.

Uh wow, ok.

I think I missed something, this post seems very negative, and I certainly have not read why...I knew hes been kinda difficult, but this seems beyond that lol.

Reactions: Svengoolie

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Uh wow, ok.

I think I missed something, this post seems very negative, and I certainly have not read why...I knew hes been kinda difficult, but this seems beyond that lol.
It's not meant to be negative. It's meant to be an honest recitation of the facts. When he was drafted I was extremely excited that we landed a top 20 rated pick with the number 28 selection. we even traded up to draft him. I too had read all of the McDavid comparisons through the years and I wondered what could possibly go wrong.

But in the intervening years it has become painfully obvious what his issue is. He was raised in a bi-racial family and taught to have total belief in himself to the extent that any instruction of any type is seen as criticism. It's as simple as that. He actively stands in his own way

It may sound very negative but when he refuses any attempt at constructive instruction, what can you say? Every year it's why am I asked to play responsible defense, when they dont. Or why am I in Bridgeport when I'm more talented than so and so. It's not up to him to ask those questions and call others to task. But he does anyway. It was one thing last year when he questioned Garth Snow. But this year he has even called out Lou Lamouriello and Barry Trotz, and he sees nothing wrong with doing so.

The talent and skills are still there. It's evident when you watch him play. But why trade him for next to nothing only to watch him suddenly " get a clue" in that situation the Islanders look like fools. Why willingly put yourself in that position.

Some quotes:

Here is what Ho-Sang will say about Islanders training camp in September, the first one run by team president Lou Lamoriello and coach Barry Trotz, which ended with the offensively dynamic winger getting sent to AHL Bridgeport after what he felt wasn’t much of a look during preseason.

“I felt like they had their minds made up on what was going to happen and what the team was going to look like,” Ho-Sang said. “It’s OK. They had the whole summer to plan that. I don’t know if you watched any of the games, but I didn’t play a lot. It’s OK. It is what it is.”

It’s not lost on anyone that he looks and acts different, too. Ho-Sang’s heritage is a mix of Jamaican, Chinese, Jewish, Chilean, Russian and Swedish. On Saturday night, he showed up to the rink in a impeccably tailored suit with a pink pocket square folded like a flower. A coach told him he had to go change to get ready, and he answered, “Not really,” instead playing soccer in the hallway with his suit on. "

If that isn't a sense of entitlement, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Ho-Sang is worth more than a 3rd

worth? bad choice of words i think, I dont think he's "worth" anything. but I do agree we cant trade him for a 3rd the talent is still there, and if he EVER decides to look in the mirror , then he could be a player, will he? who knows. but I dont trade him. why set yourself up to look like a fool

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Ho-Sang is worth more than a 3rd
Skill-wise yes but he’s got a mental problem where his ego doesn’t allow him to change. He looked irrelevant in camp and you’ve heard nothing about him this season. Even MDC has been playing well to start the season.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Skill-wise yes but he’s got a mental problem where his ego doesn’t allow him to change. He looked irrelevant in camp and you’ve heard nothing about him this season. Even MDC has been playing well to start the season.

Some kids have chips on their shoulders. You could be saying the same thing about Merkley three years from now.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
At this point unless he gets some regular NHL time, NYI isn't going to get a good return back for Ho-sang. When a asset is handled that poorly, teams take advantage of that.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
At this point unless he gets some regular NHL time, NYI isn't going to get a good return back for Ho-sang. When a asset is handled that poorly, teams take advantage of that.
He seems to cause his lack of playing time himself with that huge ego convincing him he deserves more.
He's tough to place a value on. Obviously the Isles don't want to trade all that untapped talent for a low return but teams looking @ a possible trade are well aware of the chance they are getting an egomaniac that will never make his mark in the NHL except as a footnote on how to shoot yourself in the foot @ every opportunity.
A 3rd round pick would probably be a reasonable gamble allowing NYI to recoup something but should come with conditions bumping it up to a 2nd or even 1st if he ever gets his head in the right space.

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018
You don't need to worry, we arent trading Ho Sang. He is too talented to trade him for anything teams would reasonably give us. That's on Josh. So why reward non compliance? We gain nothing by trading him and we stand to lose a lot if he suddenly decided to grow up. As presently constituted the only person he is sabotaging is himself.

So you are basically saying that the Isles are willing to help atrophy this kids career because he speaks his mind rather than just be rid of him and maybe help him find a fresh start elsewhere.

I think LouLams is an dinosaur with some positively archaic views of hockey and culture (like facial hair) but I do think he is at least the kind of guy who is willing to help find players find the fresh start they might need to salvage their career.

Of course, I also think that Ho-Sang isn't much of a problem child at all, just a kid actually willing to say what everyone else in his situation may have thought but lacked the balls to actually bring it up.

If I'm Dougie "Dorion's Daddy" Wilson, I am absolutely taking a flyer on him for a mid-pick and a middling prospect. There's enough leadership in the Sharks locker room to assist with his "attitude" problem and he would look incredible alongside some of the Sharks more talented forwards.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Off ice issues/attitude aside.... everyone here knows he's still 22, right? He's already proven he has the skill to hang in the NHL. Maturity takes time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad