Sharks get away with a boarding call that nearly took out Benning.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
California reffing. It's sadly not isolated and honestly I wish some days the Oilers would just relocate out east somewhere so they wouldn't have to deal with this league's raging ****r over a big TV deal and ratings on the west coast.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
On second review, I don't see much of a penalty on the actual play. Maybe a pity call for the outcome.

Benning goes towards the boards in order to chase the puck down with Kane right behind him. What I see Kane trying to do is initiate contact in order to pin him against the boards. This is a play that happens 50 times a game. Kane put almost 0 force on Benning. Benning just lost his balance if anything.

It's up to Benning to know where he is on the ice and brace himself for contact.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
A cross check is a cross check. I can't go to court and say that I barely stabbed that guy and get away with it. Kane did cross check Benning.

But if you dont stab him and in the struggle of trying to he takes the knife and stabs himself u get off. In this case Kane gave benning at best a light push and benning either embellished or was falling already and it looked worse than it was.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
I have. WHL even. It happens 50 times a game. Benning basically ran himself in to the boards hoping for a call... That POS Kane barely pushes him.
Nice, PM me your name. We've probably crossed paths or I reffed you. This isn't some battle in the corner with guys crosschecking guys in the back though. Push/shove like that is supposed to be called 100% of the time and almost always is. Can't believe I'm not supporting the refs call but like I said we aren't perfect.

Reactions: ShonSaunders

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Yeah. Blame the Refs cuz your team is a bunch of soft whining babies
A Flames fan started this thread so how this apply to the discussion here . It's going to be fun to see Winnipeg choke in the 1st round this year since obviously they can't win a playoff game..

Reactions: StDevs

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
A Flames fan started this thread so how this apply to the discussion here . It's going to be fun to see Winnipeg choke in the 1st round this year since obviously they can't win a playoff game..

I want the Jets to do well, really good team, and most Jets fans would not like this guy from my experience, but damn he's adamant.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
California reffing. It's sadly not isolated and honestly I wish some days the Oilers would just relocate out east somewhere so they wouldn't have to deal with this league's raging ****r over a big TV deal and ratings on the west coast.
Because the league is going to turn on the next face of the league in McDavid...

If there was some grand conspiracy going on with Edmonton, it certainly wouldn't be the team that was gifted ANOTHER generational/franchise/the next Crosby/the next Gretzky player in McDavid is going to get screwed over for years to just to appease the California market. Give me a break.

Maybe, just maybe the refs are humans and can be bad at their jobs?

Reactions: ShonSaunders

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
But if you dont stab him and in the struggle of trying to he takes the knife and stabs himself u get off. In this case Kane gave benning at best a light push and benning either embellished or was falling already and it looked worse than it was.
Why would Benning be so mad if he embellished or fell? Benning has been targeting players after this hit so obviously he feels that this wasn't an accident or he just "fell".

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Ok. What a bunch of whining babies in here. WPG has nothing to do with this topic tho so.. Your point here is??? Whats WPG got to do with this?

Reactions: Thrive

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Why would Benning be so mad if he embellished or fell? Benning has been targeting players after this hit so obviously he feels that this wasn't an accident or he just "fell".

Maybe hes just raging. Who really knows. Because hes targeting players that means what? It means hes a bitch.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Because the league is going to turn on the next face of the league in McDavid...

If there was some grand conspiracy going on with Edmonton, it certainly wouldn't be the team that was gifted ANOTHER generational/franchise/the next Crosby/the next Gretzky player in McDavid is going to get screwed over for years to just to appease the California market. Give me a break.

Maybe, just maybe the refs are humans and can be bad at their jobs?

I don't think there's a league bias, but there's definitely extreme incompetence and it wouldn't surprise me if refs were biased and jealous. However former makes the most sense in these bad calls/non-calls.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
On second review, I don't see much of a penalty on the actual play. Maybe a pity call for the outcome.

Benning goes towards the boards in order to chase the puck down with Kane right behind him. What I see Kane trying to do is initiate contact in order to pin him against the boards. This is a play that happens 50 times a game. Kane put almost 0 force on Benning. Benning just lost his balance if anything.

It's up to Benning to know where he is on the ice and brace himself for contact.
I mean yeah in a perfect world that would be great. However that's never been the case at any level of hockey. Most of these guys have enough respect for opponents and themselves to know that it's dangerous.

Doesn't matter the force he put on him it still made the D lose his balance and crash into the boards.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Ok. What a bunch of whining babies in here. WPG has nothing to do with this topic tho so.. Your point here is??? Whats WPG got to do with this?
The Oilers team has nothing to with this conversation. The purpose of this thread was talk about the hit Kane played on Benning, and to discuss whether it was a legal hit or not. You took the first shot by calling the whole team "cry babies" instead of discussing the hit itself.

My point is maybe you should worry about your own team before making false claims about the Oilers team.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Probably because you are heavily biased.

It doesn't matter if you barely high stick a guy. Its a penalty.

If you barely crosscheck a guy head first into the boards its the same thing.
I don't give a damn about either of these teams or the players involved. What I am biased against is players dropping like they were hit from behind by a Zamboni when in reality they were barely touched.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I could care less about the result of the game, but that's just flat out pathetic reffing.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Now this is the silliest post I've read all day.

Well again I'd say incompetence is the main thing, but let's be honest refs are human, and they also deal with a ton of players and teams often, it wouldn't surprise me if they had players they hated or favoured.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't give a damn about either of these teams or the players involved. What I am biased against is players dropping like they were hit from behind by a Zamboni when in reality they were barely touched.
You really think a player would purposely throw themselves into the boards like that risking serious injury?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I mean yeah in a perfect world that would be great. However that's never been the case at any level of hockey. Most of these guys have enough respect for opponents and themselves to know that it's dangerous.

Doesn't matter the force he put on him it still made the D lose his balance and crash into the boards.

If Kane just skates by and lets Benning clear it then he gets ripped on by his new coach. He went in for some board play and Benning lost his balance. I'd understand if it was a high speed play, but Kane barely touched him and wasn't moving much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad