GDT: Sharks @ Flames, March 24 @ 7:00 PM

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I think you're definitely getting ahead of yourself with the playoff talk next year. But if this team keeps their work ethic going and drafting properly, it could very well not be as long as originally projected before we're in the playoffs again.

I like the optimism, but no.

One good month does equal a good season.

October 5-5-2
November 4-8-2
December 5-7-2
January 6-7-1
February 2-3-0
March (so far) 8-5-0

Even if they went .500 in November (say 6-6-2) puts them at 71 points, behind Nashville and 2nd worst in the Conference, and 9 points out of a playoff spot. It would mean they pass Ottawa & Carolina in the standings.

Nothing would make me happier to be wrong, of course.

I agree, it's quite possible that the Flames will be a playoff team next season.

Injuries are part of the game but Mark Giordano (18) and Curtis Glencross (44), that was a pretty big loss for the Flames this season.

Considering that Ladislav Smid was the only real addition to this Flames team all season, they still did well.

Kevin Westgarth was the other as well as all the call ups from Abbotsford.

What the Flames are lacking right now is a big hitting forward. They also have enough players that are good enough to make a deal for a player like that.

Flames first season without Miikka Kiprusoff and Jarome Iginla and I think they did better than just okay.

The fans are still really behind this Flames team, there was sure a hot buzzing crowd at the game last night.

This is exactly what came to mind for me too. Difference is we have a veteran core here as well.

I guess I was still pretty excited from the win. It got the best of me; don't know why I posted that either. :laugh:

Here are two different possible scenarios I think could happen for the Flames next season:

1. This one I think in the most realistic scenario. Given that the Flames have around eight rookies in the lineup this season (I included Granlund as I think he would stick around if not for his injury), there is a big chance that a lot of them have sophomore slumps; yes, this even includes Monahan. The sophomore slump is not a myth, it actually happens quite a bit around the league. We could very well see Colborne, Russell (though he is not a rookie), Byron, and possibly others go through the sophomore slump. Our record could very well end up worse than this season.

2. Hartley motivates the young players so much that they improve and end up around 9th, 10th, or 11th place in the Western Conference.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I dont have high playoff hopes. However, considering how we played this year, I had a generally great time watching Flames games, and looking forward to us adding another top prospect this year who could potentially step into the NHL.

Imagine next year we played like this AND got Jack Eichel

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
I attended the Sharks game on Monday, and just wanted to say thanks...it was such a great time, and every fan we encountered was wonderful. People were pumped that we came from California just to watch the Sharks play (we also went to Edmonton for last night's game). Thankfully also had awesome seats behind the Sharks bench, but the fans and experience was what really made it memorable. Will definitely be coming back again, and thanks again for an awesome hockey experience.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I attended the Sharks game on Monday, and just wanted to say thanks...it was such a great time, and every fan we encountered was wonderful. People were pumped that we came from California just to watch the Sharks play (we also went to Edmonton for last night's game). Thankfully also had awesome seats behind the Sharks bench, but the fans and experience was what really made it memorable. Will definitely be coming back again, and thanks again for an awesome hockey experience.

Sounds better than the abuse I've received at Rogers Arena, that's for sure. :laugh:

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

When I went to the Bruins @ Flames game earlier this season, I was sitting next to some guys who flew in from Boston to see Iginla's return to Calgary. Joshing around with fans from other NHL teams is one thing, but I for one respect people who are willing to travel long distances just to see their club. Glad to hear you had a great time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad