GDT: Sharks @ Flames, March 24 @ 7:00 PM

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I love this team. **** the tank, when I come to town I wanna see good hockey and that's what I seen tonight... Love it!

ReNeGaDe87

Comfortably Numb
Jun 10, 2012
Burkeville AB
images

JulianHopper*

Flames To Hot For Sharks & Win 2-1 In Shootout

Kari Ramo with another good game and second straight win. Stops 33 of 34 shots, perfect in the shoot out and is the game's first star. That was a good game by Ramo tonight and a big reason why the Flames won.

.912 save percentage and a 2.54 goals against average in 31 games played so far this season. Those are good stats, if he continues to play like this he will easily be the starter next season.

Joe Colborne with a beauty goal for his 9th of the season. He's really turning into a star here playing for the Flames.

Tyler Wotherspoon with another assist and a solid game playing over 16 minutes. Those are some good minutes for a rookie and against a big team like the Sharks.

Curtis Glencross with the only other assist. Flames are definitely a better team with him in the lineup.

Mike Cammalleri with a beauty goal as well for the winner in the shootout.

Another good game and win by the Flames. Everyone played well. Last game it was the vets and tonight it was the rookies, Colborne, Wotherspoon, Ramo and Agostino all with good games.

Aug 3, 2010
When in the seven hells is Monahan going to get that 20th goal of his?

At this rate, Iginla will score his 30th of the season before Monahan will score his 20th and it didn't look that close at the beginning of February.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Ffs I am so ****ing pissed..... I left home at 5 am this morn to get to the morning skate so by time I made it I was so tired and out of it... Marty Gelinas walked by me 3 ****ing times, and I knew I recognized him and it was bugging me so much that I couldn't remember... Now I do, ffs... I woulda have loved to shake his hand and get an autograph.. Wtf. I'm ashamed of myself :(

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I can see this team making the playoffs next year, I think. we have been hanging around with the league's top teams.. this team never gives up and it shows.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Depending on how many of our prospects make the jump over the off season I could see us making a push but not making it into the playoffs next year. Like I've said before I believe next year will be the last true year of the rebuild. This has been a pretty nice month if you look at the calender on flames.nhl.com

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I can see this team making the playoffs next year, I think. we have been hanging around with the league's top teams.. this team never gives up and it shows.

:laugh: Come on, guys, this is the same thing that happened last year. We made a late season run with no pressure, then everyone got carried away and started talking about how we might not be a guaranteed top-3 in the draft after all. Have we learned nothing?

:sarcasm:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

We've played in 43, 1 goal games this year, our club record is 45 I believe. Next year, if we can get the same level or better goaltending than what we had this year, as well factor in the growth of our blueline, if we can keep up the same effort its realistic IMO.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I can see this team making the playoffs next year, I think.

I think you're definitely getting ahead of yourself with the playoff talk next year. But if this team keeps their work ethic going and drafting properly, it could very well not be as long as originally projected before we're in the playoffs again.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I like the optimism, but no.

One good month does equal a good season.

October 5-5-2
November 4-8-2
December 5-7-2
January 6-7-1
February 2-3-0
March (so far) 8-5-0

Even if they went .500 in November (say 6-6-2) puts them at 71 points, behind Nashville and 2nd worst in the Conference, and 9 points out of a playoff spot. It would mean they pass Ottawa & Carolina in the standings.

Nothing would make me happier to be wrong, of course.

JulianHopper*

I agree, it's quite possible that the Flames will be a playoff team next season.

Injuries are part of the game but Mark Giordano (18) and Curtis Glencross (44), that was a pretty big loss for the Flames this season.

Considering that Ladislav Smid was the only real addition to this Flames team all season, they still did well.

Kevin Westgarth was the other as well as all the call ups from Abbotsford.

What the Flames are lacking right now is a big hitting forward. They also have enough players that are good enough to make a deal for a player like that.

Flames first season without Miikka Kiprusoff and Jarome Iginla and I think they did better than just okay.

The fans are still really behind this Flames team, there was sure a hot buzzing crowd at the game last night.

Aug 3, 2010
Not to drown the optimism in here but I feel like I'm reading the same words Edmonton fans wrote 5 seasons ago.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not to drown the optimism in here but I feel like I'm reading the same words Edmonton fans wrote 5 seasons ago.

Toronto fans did the exact same thing year after year until they finally made the playoffs last season.

Late season surges are deceptive. The Flames have a ton of guys playing for jobs and auditioning for NHL roles. Teams like the Sharks and Ducks, who know they've essentially made the playoffs, start coasting. Honestly, people shouldn't read too much in this and start thinking the team has turned the corner and are magically a cup contending team. They still have a lot of work to do and a lot of major pieces to add.

And it certainly doesn't help things when a guy like Cammalleri decides to start playing now that he wants his last big payday. Revert him into his usual floating and weak defensively self and things aren't as rosy right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad