Evander Kane contract termination/ bankruptcy omnithread

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Hope the creditors take a huge haircut here, you can complain about Kane's spending habits but the private lender vultures no doubt encouraged him to run up debt at exorbitant interest rates.

It would be interesting to see what portion of his debt is principal and what part is interest.

No the Sharks did not! The only thing the Sharks agreed to do is send money where Kane tells them to send it. Kanes loan was shopped heavily. Countless Funds and hard money lenders saw his balance sheet...

I personally had his balance sheet and player contract, the second the Sharks wouldn't be a party to the loan and/or said the client could stop the payments at his discretion. We were out!

If this is true this seems like something that you should get fired for divulging and potentially sued over. Clients deserve confidentiality in their financial matters.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
Hope the creditors take a huge haircut here, you can complain about Kane's spending habits but the private lender vultures no doubt encouraged him to run up debt at exorbitant interest rates.

It would be interesting to see what portion of his debt is principal and what part is interest.

If this is true this seems like something that you should get fired for divulging and potentially sued over. Clients deserve confidentiality in their financial matters.
LOL...I would have to fire myself! I decided not to lend him money. He is not my client, I didnt sign an NDA. So please explain yourself?

Reactions: nofehr

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
LOL...I would have to fire myself! I decided not to lend him money. He is not my client, I didnt sign an NDA. So please explain yourself?

That's very nice for you. Still doesn't excuse you for sharing what should be private information. Private lenders taking advantage of people who have a gambling addiction are the lowest of the low. No better than drug dealers, profiting off of misery.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
That's very nice for you. Still doesn't excuse you for sharing what should be private information. Private lenders taking advantage of people who have a gambling addiction are the lowest of the low. No better than drug dealers, profiting off of misery.

Its not private information...because his people didnt ask for it to be private. Kanes biggest concern was his gambling debts and the fact that he couldn't cover them would be public. I would argue that people like yourself enable people like Kane. You are the problem! The fact that you would think that there is nothing wrong with someone trying to cheat someone out of an agreement that they signed is all I need to know about you!

Reactions: FMichael and nofehr

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Its not private information...because his people didnt ask for it to be private. Kanes biggest concern was his gambling debts and the fact that he couldn't cover them would be public. I would argue that people like yourself enable people like Kane. You are the problem! The fact that you would think that there is nothing wrong with someone trying to cheat someone out of an agreement that they signed is all I need to know about you!

I pretty much expected this kind of justification, always the same from people who take advantage of others.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
I pretty much expected this kind of justification, always the same from people who take advantage of others.
I pretty much expected this this kind of justification, typical of someone who doesn't understand the value of millions of dollars of your own money

Reactions: nofehr

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Kane is a degenerate gambler who blew himself out and then started publicly shopping for bailout loans of course it won’t be private.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Yeah, I can’t imagine a team co-signing on a loan to a player would be allowed under any CBA in the salary cap era (2005, 2013, 2020). I do wonder if a co-sign could would have been allowed pre-2005 with all the personal service contracts and other machinations.

A bit of a reverse scenario was Lemieux settling for franchise equity in lieu of deferred compensation way back when Penguins filled for bankruptcy. I don't believe he was made whole at the time (salary was unsecured debt?) but in the end turned up pretty well there.

Last edited:

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Pretty sad how society is full of people who think everything is someone else's fault.

There doesn't seem to be much personal accountability anymore.

Do you consider making money from human suffering to be personally responsible?

How exactly is that responsible?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Kane side attempting to prevent bankruptcy conversion from Chapter 7 (pay using current assets only) to Chapter 11 (pay using current assets and future earnings)

Evander Kane to bankruptcy court: Lenders’ argument violates U.S. ban on slavery

I expect the 13th Amendment part is one of a dozen of “throw it all against the wall” arguments lawyers typically include in any court case like this. Even the least likely legal arguments to persuade the judge usually get tossed in.

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
The guy has an ego the size of the Moon. Probably thought he was immortal. This really doesn't shock me at all, and I really don't feel bad for him. I think he needed something like this to wake him up and bring him back down to reality, although I have no idea if this experience will humble him in the slightest. Time will tell.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Lol oh my they must want him to pay back his debt because of his color.

He is using race as a way not to pay back the money he owes?

He is not using race at all, the two of you are associating a common court filing with race solely because he is black. White people have tried to make the exact same argument in bankruptcy courts. This is far from the first time a motion like this has been filed.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He is not using race at all, the two of you are associating a common court filing with race solely because he is black. White people have tried to make the exact same argument in bankruptcy courts. This is far from the first time a motion like this has been filed.

Well if white people do it....

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
lol - oh man just stop it already - lol

No thanks. Feel free to answer the question though!

Do you think it is ethical and responsible to knowingly profit off of someone's addiction?

Lots of condemnation of Kane's previous actions here but being a parasite is apparently ok as long as there is profit to be made.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Most of the money comes from your Grammy grams pension and things like that. Most corporations are owned by the public so any scams loses or extra taxes is taken from the people not some monopoly man

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Most of the money comes from your Grammy grams pension and things like that. Most corporations are owned by the public so any scams loses or extra taxes is taken from the people not some monopoly man

No legit bank is going to loan a guy money when he's $16m under water. At that point it's glorified loan sharks at extreme interest rates. If grammy gram has her pension tied up in loan sharks then she probably should look at herself in the mirror.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
No legit bank is going to loan a guy money when he's $16m under water. At that point it's glorified loan sharks at extreme interest rates. If grammy gram has her pension tied up in loan sharks then she probably should look at herself in the mirror.

What a world it would be if people can’t get loans. He got a loan to invest and make money they helped him out.
Taking other people’s money and pissing it away does not make him a victim

Reactions: FMichael

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad