GDT: Sharks @ Caps - 7:08PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Just negative vibes right now. They played poorly tonight but in general during this slide, their 5v5 play has been fine. It feels like every playoff besides the Cup run right now. Wide open nets to tie the game and they miss. Gifted a PP to get back in the game or tie it and they can’t convert. Down 1 with 5 minutes left and give up an extremely soft goal. It’s just like “here we go again” as you expect them to find a way to lose. Eventually their finishing should return to normal and they will be fine, but they also need to do a better job of working and creating more chances because right now they’re gripping their sticks way too tight.

I could see this being a positive as they’re generally used to rolling in the regular season and then having this shit happen in the playoffs but who knows. This is still nothing like the way they collapsed under Reirden in 2020 when they were legit getting caved in and surviving solely on their finishing ability. That’s the last time I can recall a stretch like this.
I don’t know, Laviolette has some of Oates’ stubbornness. It’s just that he has more good ideas than Oates did; that Oates team, their 5x5 is what our PP is right now. Reirden was just generally clueless.

Reactions: Corby78

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Carlson has been a major disappointment this season. So-called "Norris caliber" D that gets routinely walked or out hustled on defense, and the PP on which he plays QB has produced zilch for over half the season.

I don't understand why a lot of fans still consider him our Top defenseman... Orlov has been better IMO for quite some time now...

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
LOL, May was pointing out our foolish passes on odd man breaks and sarcastically said rebound goals are allowed.

Reactions: Hivemind

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't understand why a lot of fans still consider him our Top defenseman... Orlov has been better IMO for quite some time now...

I haven’t for a while, but in the eyes of the Washington media, he’s still “Johnny Norris”. He’s paid to be the best D on the team, to drive the play at both ends of the rink.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I haven’t for a while, but in the eyes of the Washington media, he’s still “Johnny Norris”. He’s paid to be the best D on the team, to drive the play at both ends of the rink.
Well, he does have the best xG% of any defensemen on the team, so it seems like he is driving play. I’ve been pretty down on his 5v5 play the last few years but I think he’s been a lot better this year. He has his flaws and is not a true Norris contender, but he’s a good offensive 1D. I do like Orlov’s game better though.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I don’t know, Laviolette has some of Oates’ stubbornness. It’s just that he has more good ideas than Oates did; that Oates team, their 5x5 is what our PP is right now. Reirden was just generally clueless.
Sprong should be in the lineup every night right now as should McMichael. He needs to trust his skill guys more and live with their mistakes to reap the benefits of their upside. He did it with Kuznetsov and look at him this year.

Leason has impressed but they don’t need him, Hathaway, and Hagelin as 3 of their 4 bottom 6 wings. HDH is a good 4th line as well but they should be getting the least amount of 5v5 TOI out of the forwards.

Those are my only issues with Laviolette. I generally like the way they play at 5v5. I don’t think that’s an issue. Finishing has been lately but that’s not going to last.

Power play is a whole other issue and I’m not sure who exactly deserves the blame for that, but that’s obviously an issue too.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Sprong should be in the lineup every night right now as should McMichael. He needs to trust his skill guys more and live with their mistakes to reap the benefits of their upside. He did it with Kuznetsov and look at him this year.

Leason has impressed but they don’t need him, Hathaway, and Hagelin as 3 of their 4 bottom 6 wings. HDH is a good 4th line as well but they should be getting the least amount of 5v5 TOI out of the forwards.

Those are my only issues with Laviolette. I generally like the way they play at 5v5. I don’t think that’s an issue. Finishing has been lately but that’s not going to last.

Power play is a whole other issue and I’m not sure who exactly deserves the blame for that, but that’s obviously an issue too.
The head coach deserves the blame for that.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
We are all frustrated watching the game. Imagine the guys, they have to be more frustrated many times over. Something has got to give. I like Lavi, but just do everything harder just isn't the answer anymore. That ship has sailed.

I'm hoping that once the supposed February break starts that was once filled by the Olympics, meaningful changes are implemented. If not schemes, then perhaps personnel or staffing changes.

We are in badly need of that break to do what we need to do to get right.

I kind of like Lavis system and i don´t think he´s the problem. The season started nice with all the kids and stuff. The powerplay needs A LOT of work, it should be top ten at least. And goaltending would be nice.

But yeah, i think it´s a lot of frustration all around right now

Reactions: tenken00

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
upload_2022-1-26_23-11-42.png

Gotta keep giving this guy 13 minutes a night, and gotta keep giving him shifts down the stretch when down a goal.

I don’t even know any more. Something has to change. The 5v5 shooting percentage dip is what it is, but the PP is unacceptable. The ice time allocation is unacceptable. The lack of chance generation is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Reading some their quotes now it sounds like it's going to take puck luck for them to turn it around. Yikes. I mean, sure, but they might want to just try starting on time and playing smart rather than dumb.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
View attachment 502290

Gotta keep giving this guy 13 minutes a night, and gotta keep giving him shifts down the stretch when down a goal.

I don’t even know any more. Something has to change. The 5v5 shooting percentage dip is what it is, but the PP is unacceptable. The ice time allocation is unacceptable. The lack of chance generation is unacceptable.
If they can trade Hagelin and replace him with AJF, I would be quite happy.

Reactions: DanTHEMan71

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
start a guy 10 feet from the net all the time and his fancy stats will reflect that…

dropping lines like “outscoring Kreider” is so silly….per 60 means next to Jack in such limited exposure.

Then expose him more! Expose Protas more! Stop giving time to Carl Hagelin when he absolutely cannot score and is hurting the team defensively on top of that! Do something different!

Instead…

99814B6B-6F2B-4991-A09B-2E83AF2BC5EB.gif

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If they can trade Hagelin and replace him with AJF, I would be quite happy.

I think GMBM has to force Laviolette’s hand with roster moves at some point, otherwise he really needs to consider firing him. Just too many mistakes from the coaching staff, and too conservative of a dogma to accomplish anything in the postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad