GDT: Sharks @ Caps - 7:08PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Eller is going to be double-shifting on the second line by the middle of the second period.

Just trade McMichael already. He has no utility on the team if this is how the coaches are treating him.

Not double shifted. Moved from center to wing.

The Caps had said pre season that they didnt expect McMichael to be on the team. That was not their plan for him. So because he is not a primary player this year, you want to trade him?

Listen to John Walton's podcast yesterday. He speaks at lenth about McMichael and his struggles and needs.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Not double shifted. Moved from center to wing.

The Caps had said pre season that they didnt expect McMichael to be on the team. That was not their plan for him. So because he is not a primary player this year, you want to trade him?

Listen to John Walton's podcast yesterday. He speaks at lenth about McMichael and his struggles and needs.

Good point on the double-shifting vs. being moved to wing.

Of course my point was to say that Sprong, McMichael, and Leason are likely to be benched unless the game becomes a blowout in one direction or another.

I understand they said they weren’t going to force McMichael onto the roster coming into this season, but in my opinion his level of play has earned him a regular roster spot with regular top 9 minutes.

I want to trade him if it’s necessary to land a star forward like Giroux or Hertl. I don’t want him gone just for him to be gone. Again, the point is he’s not going to be a contributor this year so why hoard him as an asset when IMO they should go all in this year?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thank you for the insightful response.

It’s a legitimate question to ask why Leason gets a sweater when he constantly gets stapled to the bench. He averages the least amount of ice time for the year for the entire team. Do you feel that it’s good for him development wise to only play 5 minutes with zero PK or PP time or to play 15-18 minutes a night and get tons of PP and PK time in Hershey?

The way they’ve handled the young guys recently has been very disappointing. There are plenty of guys in Hershey who have shown they can step up and earn a sweater. Reward them for their hard work and rotate guys in. Snively hasn’t been recalled since the COVID outbreak. Malenstyn would be better suited for a defensive checking line role. Gersich continues to light it up and play very well. Lavi clearly doesn’t trust the young guys. Their ice time is laughable. Start rotating them.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Good point on the double-shifting vs. being moved to wing.

Of course my point was to say that Sprong, McMichael, and Leason are likely to be benched unless the game becomes a blowout in one direction or another.

I understand they said they weren’t going to force McMichael onto the roster coming into this season, but in my opinion his level of play has earned him a regular roster spot with regular top 9 minutes.

I want to trade him if it’s necessary to land a star forward like Giroux or Hertl. I don’t want him gone just for him to be gone. Again, the point is he’s not going to be a contributor this year so why hoard him as an asset when IMO they should go all in this year?

Check Leason's game log. His TOI the last several games, 5mins, 7.5, 12, 12.5, 7, 14.5, 11.5. He's been playing quite a bit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Thank you for the insightful response.

It’s a legitimate question to ask why Leason gets a sweater when he constantly gets stapled to the bench. He averages the least amount of ice time for the year for the entire team. Do you feel that it’s good for him development wise to only play 5 minutes with zero PK or PP time or to play 15-18 minutes a night and get tons of PP and PK time in Hershey?

The way they’ve handled the young guys recently has been very disappointing. There are plenty of guys in Hershey who have shown they can step up and earn a sweater. Reward them for their hard work and rotate guys in. Snively hasn’t been recalled since the COVID outbreak. Malenstyn would be better suited for a defensive checking line role. Gersich continues to light it up and play very well. Lavi clearly doesn’t trust the young guys. Their ice time is laughable. Start rotating them.

Sorry. I was just laughing. Ive been bashed around pretty good for answering these why questions. Thats all. Carry on

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Eller is going to be double-shifting on the second line by the middle of the second period.

Just trade McMichael already. He has no utility on the team if this is how the coaches are treating him.

The solution is simple, send him down to Hershey. He needs to continue working on the different aspects of his game and gain a finishing touch at the pro level.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
As someone who can't watch the games due to time difference how does Lavi even make this happen?

Do players get bumped down lines after 1 period? Or just someone else double shifts and takes their spot?

Lineup Vs TOI this year has been so confusing

The center (Eller) simply goes out on the ice with a different set of wingers whenever his line is called. So the wingers get increased ice time (vets like Sheary or Oshie normally), while guys like CMM or Protas just warm the bench.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The solution is simple, send him down to Hershey. He needs to continue working on the different aspects of his game and gain a finishing touch at the pro level.

I think he accomplishes becoming a better finisher by getting more TOI at the NHL level, facing NHL goalies and NHL defensemen.

Either way, how long do we wait for him to become good enough in Laviolette’s view? The clock is ticking on this core. Get them the help they need now, and sacrifice McMichael if needed.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think he accomplishes becoming a better finisher by getting more TOI at the NHL level, facing NHL goalies and NHL defensemen.

Either way, how long do we wait for him to become good enough in Laviolette’s view? The clock is ticking on this core. Get them the help they need now, and sacrifice McMichael if needed.

NHL goalies and defensemen aren’t too far off from the AHL this year due to the absurd amounts of players called up because of COVID protocol.

He needs minutes and to practice his scoring instinct, including ice time on the PP. I’m all for maximizing chances for the current core, but CMM really isn’t far off in my opinion, just needs a bit more development.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he unlocked some of his potential in Hershey to become a solid contributor for the Caps in the playoffs.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
No McMichael
No Win
Know McMichael
Know Win!?!%
j/k
about time they benched him
j/k
how dare they bench him! look at his x% numbers!
j/k
give the kid a game (or two) to reset
it's a long season, the kid is... a kid still and hasn't proven shit
let him watch and come back stronger next time

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Lavi clearly doesn’t trust the young guys. Their ice time is laughable. Start rotating them.
Why bother rotating them when it doesn't really matter what they do? They're going to be benched as an apparent tactic so as to enhance the feel and rhythm of the rest of the group. They are overthought filler and nothing more.

Someone needs to remind Lavi that Fehervary is also inexperienced. He should be sat for Irwin post-haste.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Why bother rotating them when it doesn't really matter what they do? They're going to be benched as an apparent tactic so as to enhance the feel and rhythm of the rest of the group. They are overthought filler and nothing more.

Someone needs to remind Lavi that Fehervary is also inexperienced. He should be sat for Irwin post-haste.
its weird how Fehervary has been the exception to Lavi's hard on for veterans. Especially since he's in a much more important position than wing.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

It at least creates some sort of competition and allows the guys the opportunity to get more playing time instead of being stapled to the bench. Also allows guys like Gersich an opportunity to put some tape at the NHL level when they probably aren’t in the organization next year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
its weird how Fehervary has been the exception to Lavi's hard on for veterans. Especially since he's in a much more important position than wing.

Fehervary was projected onto the team. MacLellan staffed the defense with the Fehervary on the team. He didnt have to wait for an injury or play someone off the team.

All of the rookie forwards were expected to be in Hershey, except Lapierre, and were at best planned on for some call up fill in stuff. So, its not weird at all. What is interesting is how the rookies fall on the depth chart. Protas is the lead rookie. AJF might be ahead of the rest but isn't playing only because of his waiver status.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fehervary was projected onto the team. MacLellan staffed the defense with the Fehervary on the team. He didnt have to wait for an injury or play someone off the team.

All of the rookie forwards were expected to be in Hershey, except Lapierre, and were at best planned on for some call up fill in stuff. So, its not weird at all. What is interesting is how the rookies fall on the depth chart. Protas is the lead rookie. AJF might be ahead of the rest but isn't playing only because of his waiver status.

we should also remember that the Caps felt he was ready for NHL play a year earlier….(they just didn’t have the roster spot)….so he was overripe. He was pencilled in to hold down a steady spot and rightly so.

Reactions: txpd

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

lol….you know that’s disingenuous…..two things are not alike. Fever earned his spot previously.

Reactions: txpd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad