GDT: Sharks @ Canadiens 151215 4:30pm CSNCA

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Funny how sports work. This board has gone from "Omg I can't believe we signed Zubrus" to "I hope he is on the top line again Thursday" in a pretty short period.

I love looking at this board after Jones lets in a softy.

"Fire DW, lotto pick"

"Man this guy sucks"

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Thornton definitely was playing with that extra step today. Just hope it can continue. I guess I would keep Zubrus up there until there is a drop off.

No, he didn't just looked like that playing with Zubrus!

Seriously though, I was fine with Zubrus on the fourth line, but don't see him staying in the top 6. If he can make it work, by playing with talented players and help Thornton and Pavelski get going, that would be huge.

I think those two have looked pretty poor for a good portion of what I've seen this year (which isn't much, due to my wedding, new apartment, new job- horrible combo at one time BTW), yet they're so talented they end up producing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No, he didn't just looked like that playing with Zubrus!

Seriously though, I was fine with Zubrus on the fourth line, but don't see him staying in the top 6. If he can make it work, by playing with talented players and help Thornton and Pavelski get going, that would be huge.

I think those two have looked pretty poor for a good portion of what I've seen this year (which isn't much, due to my wedding, new apartment, new job- horrible combo at one time BTW), yet they're so talented they end up producing.

Zubrus won't be on the top-line as soon as we have more than 3 top-6 forwards healthy. :shakehead

Anyway, back to Jones, I rewatched some of the third period last night and man, he made so many saves whilst being interfered with. Like there were three or four saves he made that if they'd gone in would have surely been called back. Impressive as hell.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Zubrus won't be on the top-line as soon as we have more than 3 top-6 forwards healthy. :shakehead

Anyway, back to Jones, I rewatched some of the third period last night and man, he made so many saves whilst being interfered with. Like there were three or four saves he made that if they'd gone in would have surely been called back. Impressive as hell.

It seems like Jones has a problem being focused on a game. When he's dialed in, pucks aren't getting past him but he'll let in these softies every other game where he's like a couple milliseconds behind the play.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

So, Pav's, JT, Patty and Couture are our only top 6 forwards? It's seems we've been spoiled and actually consider top 6 forwards as players that are 1rst liners.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
It seems like Jones has a problem being focused on a game. When he's dialed in, pucks aren't getting past him but he'll let in these softies every other game where he's like a couple milliseconds behind the play.

I agree. There were a couple of games where he let in an easy goal in the beginning as well, then was a wall the rest of the game. It was like he hadn't really started playing yet. As you say, there are some games where he seems a bit behind sometimes. Overall, though, he's been excellent for us. If he can be focused more consistently, he should be even better. Better D would help as well.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
I agree. There were a couple of games where he let in an easy goal in the beginning as well, then was a wall the rest of the game. It was like he hadn't really started playing yet. As you say, there are some games where he seems a bit behind sometimes. Overall, though, he's been excellent for us. If he can be focused more consistently, he should be even better. Better D would help as well.

I agree. I am also baffled at the amount of flukey goals he has had against him, not that they can all be blamed on him. It just leaves you scratching your head, like "Did that really happen, again!?"

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So, Pav's, JT, Patty and Couture are our only top 6 forwards? It's seems we've been spoiled and actually consider top 6 forwards as players that are 1rst liners.

Firstly, I would argue that Hertl is a top-6 forward, and I would say Ward is a 2nd/3rd line tweener rather than a true top-sixer.

And I would also agree in that we have four 1st liners.

Just my opinion:

1st liners: Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture
2nd liners: Hertl
2nd/3rd line tweeners: Ward
3rd liners: Donskoi, Karlsson (borderline)
4th liners: Tierney, Nieto, Wingels, Smith, Zubrus, Goodrow
Non-NHLers: Brown, Lerg, Haley, etc.

Ideally IMO, you pair a couple of first liners (JT/Pav and Patty/Logan) with a tweener (Karlsson/Ward), for a couple of decent first lines. You have an extra 2nd line center (Hertl) and you give him a couple of third liners (Donskoi/Aquisition), and then make up a fourth line of actual NHLers: a line of Nieto-Tierney-Wingels would be a high-end fourth line capable of playing in both ends, not being liabilities, playing on the PK to eat minutes, and chipping in a goal every once in a while.

(In giving these "categories" of sorts, I mean specifically on a playoff team.)

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Firstly, I would argue that Hertl is a top-6 forward, and I would say Ward is a 2nd/3rd line tweener rather than a true top-sixer.

Just my opinion:

Ideally IMO, you pair a couple of first liners (JT/Pav and Patty/Logan) with a tweener (Karlsson/Ward), for a couple of decent first lines. You have an extra 2nd line center (Hertl) and you give him a couple of third liners (Donskoi/Aquisition), and then make up a fourth line of actual NHLers: a line of Nieto-Tierney-Wingels would be a high-end fourth line capable of playing in both ends, not being liabilities, playing on the PK to eat minutes, and chipping in a goal every once in a while.

Well, you said more than 3 and I forgot Hertl was out and I consider Ward a top 6 forward. I'd say Nieto and Donskoi are borderline 2nd liners, but that's nitpicking.

It just seems people got spoiled when we really did have a 1A/1B top 6. I don't have much of a problem with where you put everybody. I'd still rather get a better Dman and hope that some forwards improve and come back.

Next year will be interesting if JT and Patty don't fall off a cliff with hopefully Meier and Goldobin on the team and hopefully Donskoi, Neito and Tierney making some strides.

I, unlike many around here are fine with a Brown type to play once in a while.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Well, you said more than 3 and I forgot Hertl was out and I consider Ward a top 6 forward. I'd say Nieto and Donskoi are borderline 2nd liners, but that's nitpicking.

It just seems people got spoiled when we really did have a 1A/1B top 6. I don't have much of a problem with where you put everybody. I'd still rather get a better Dman and hope that some forwards improve and come back.

Next year will be interesting if JT and Patty don't fall off a cliff with hopefully Meier and Goldobin on the team and hopefully Donskoi, Neito and Tierney making some strides.

I, unlike many around here are fine with a Brown type to play once in a while.

I like the 1A/1B type of set up too. I know we're a little spoiled with having the Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski/Couture group being so consistently good.

I think Meier will definitely be in the NHL next season and I would love to see him with Donskoi and Hertl, I think they'd compliment each other well. The more I see of Ward, the more I feel like he's basically Timo's floor. I'm really growing on Timo; I REALLY wish he were ready now, because he's the exact player I'd wish for on our third line right now.

I'm also fine with Brown playing every once in a while for sure. He really does have good games where he makes in impact. But they are few and far between and there is zero reason why he should be an everyday player like he has been. I also think that Wingels brings a lot of the physicality that Brown brings.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I'm also fine with Brown playing every once in a while for sure. He really does have good games where he makes in impact. But they are few and far between and there is zero reason why he should be an everyday player like he has been. I also think that Wingels brings a lot of the physicality that Brown brings.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm way off here, but to me Wingels is the Sharks version of Dustin Brown. He hits, PKs, and scores every once in a while, but that seems about it. If his one move trying to break around the defense doesn't work he doesn't offer much in the ozone. I like him as a fourth liner, but I'd look to move him for a bottom pair RHD.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Funny how sports work. This board has gone from "Omg I can't believe we signed Zubrus" to "I hope he is on the top line again Thursday" in a pretty short period.

I echo this statement. It was one game. One game! Let's not proclaim Zubrus-Thornton-Pavelski a set line yet. I do think the major issue the line did well was that Thornton had his best game in weeks.

You know, when Thornton struggled, it was hard not to notice how he dragged down Pavelski on that line. Its the Thornton effect....Pavelski expects Thornton to get him the pass, and stops trying to create offense on his own.

Maybe the Sharks should just flank Thornton with Ward and Karlsson.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose

Just my opinion:

I think you mean more than just a playoff team.

I'm curious: Which current NHL teams would you say have 9 forwards that you would consider legitimate top 9 forwards?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Can you even call it a sophomore slump when he's been shackled to Brown and Haley for most of the season?

Tierney and Donskoi look like they have some good chemistry going. They play really well off one another.

Tierney made a number of pretty plays last night that were purely individual effort (offensively and defensively) and uncharacteristic of what he had done season to date - not exactly sure how the other players on his line would have suppressed that for ~30 games?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah. Tierney being more assertive probably has more to do with him realizing he needs to step his game and effort up vs his linemates.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah. Tierney being more assertive probably has more to do with him realizing he needs to step his game and effort up vs his linemates.

Although linemates that can don't spend most of their ice time chasing the puck around the defensive zone probably helps.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Although linemates that can don't spend most of their ice time chasing the puck around the defensive zone probably helps.
Well yeah, but his play the last 3 games or so has been all him. This is the type of Tierney the Sharks need, and it's only a matter of time before he hits pay dirt if he keeps it up.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think you mean more than just a playoff team.

I'm curious: Which current NHL teams would you say have 9 forwards that you would consider legitimate top 9 forwards?

Here's the reason I think we need more top-9 forwards than the average playoff team: we don't have any superstars. Thornton has a concussion and is slowing down. Pavelski is awesome but I doubt he'd be nearly as effective in terms of goalscoring without Thornton. We don't have a Toews, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Benn, Seguin, Hall, McDavid, Kopitar, Carter, Getzlaf, Perry, Johnson, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Backstrom, etc., and we don't have a Norris-level D like Doughty, Subban, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Keith, Weber, Giordano, etc. or a Vezina-level goaltender like Price, Lundqvist, Holtby, Rask, or Schneider. We have for very good forwards and two very good D, good enough that they could lead a team deep in the playoffs ASSUMING we have adequate depth to pitch in. Chicago doesn't need an excellent bottom-6 because they have Toews/Hossa and Kane. We have to have incredible depth up front like St. Louis if we want to get anywhere. We can't waste spots on guys who are gonna be black holes offensively and liabilities defensively. Everyone has to have a positive goal differential, percentage fluctuations non-withstanding.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That is a turnaround. Glad you've seen the light.

But St.Louis hasn't gotten anywhere.

St. Louis didn't have a Thornton like player for a long time either. I think Tarasenko may actually be the kind of high-end player they were missing but the point is that you have to have an entire lineup full of quality depth to make up for not having or being on the losing end of the top end matchups.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That is a turnaround. Glad you've seen the light.

You need to stop putting words in my mouth. I never said they did, you just assumed that because of my general opinions.

But St.Louis hasn't gotten anywhere.

My definition of "anywhere", in this particular instance, is the playoffs. St. Louis is as consistent a playoff team as there can get.

Surely you don't think I believe that the team as constructed could win a Stanley Cup, do you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad