GDT: Sharks at Flames; November 12th

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Can anyone tell me why the Flames let Scott Hannan walk away? Too big? Too cheap? Too physical? I loved Hannans' game tonight. I hated that he was playing for the Sharks.

Too slow, too much of a non factor night in, night out.. He was alright tonight, wouldn't say I was overly impressed

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
If he's going to play like this for us, I want him on our team. Prospects only take a team so far, at some point you need top end talented players that bring leadership. I'll take him if he wants to stay.

These would be the key words. If their is no extension signed before the deadline you have to deal him.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
On the plus side, Berra, amiright? Looks like there's some truth behind the nickname 'The Wall'. I also liked that in his post game interview, he acknowledged his glaring deficiencies and is actively working on them. If he gets his rebound control under wraps, which one can only assume he will, he is going to be a stud for us.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
On the plus side, Berra, amiright? Looks like there's some truth behind the nickname 'The Wall'. I also liked that in his post game interview, he acknowledged his glaring deficiencies and is actively working on them. If he gets his rebound control under wraps, which one can only assume he will, he is going to be a stud for us.

Yes Berra has a lot of promise. I even think Ramo has a decent game. He played very well against Colorado. Considering how our roster is subpar to the elite teams, both guys have performed well. Having both those two push each other will serve this team well going forward. Maybe one will become a legit starter under a better roster?

AfricanHerbsman

May 4, 2010
Missed the game last night, was working. Can anybody tell me how smid played? Is he a liability? Better then butler or OB?

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
These would be the key words. If their is no extension signed before the deadline you have to deal him.

Yes. Still, I'd be ok with dealing him anyways. Yes he's got scoring talent, but he's small and plays a position the Flames have depth in. Even if he wants to stay, I would still consider offers that are too good to refuse

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Yes. Still, I'd be ok with dealing him anyways. Yes he's got scoring talent, but he's small and plays a position the Flames have depth in. Even if he wants to stay, I would still consider offers that are too good to refuse

Isn't that the case for literally every player on our roster, with the exception of possibly Monohan?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Isn't that the case for literally every player on our roster, with the exception of possibly Monohan?
Nobody is going to give up Crosby + Malkin for a couple depth players. Obviously offers literally too good to refuse apply to everyone. I meant it as a phrase that would describe an offer that over values Cammy.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What about an offer that values Cammo fairly?

Like it was said, Cammy is the only legit 1st player on our roster, making his value to us greater than relative market value. Losing him for fair value applies a large pressure to the rest of the team and therefore creates challenges to the organization. He has indirect value to our club only.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Like it was said, Cammy is the only legit 1st player on our roster, making his value to us greater than relative market value. Losing him for fair value applies a large pressure to the rest of the team and therefore creates challenges to the organization. He has indirect value to our club only.

Great points MarkGio, and it is an excellent debate

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We were clearly lucky to get a point last night and that is all thanks to Berra. But at least its 1 more point than the Oilers have without Smid :laugh:

Smid had an alright game but like most defensive defenseman you won't notice them if they are playing well.

I think Backlund had a mediocre game offensively. I think as we pass Christmas the "core" of the team moving forward will be chosen and I think we will see a lot of moves to be made. I think one of Backlund or Stajan will be gone, as well as one of Stempniak or GlenX (I would assume Stempniak) will be gone, I think most of our bottom pairing guys will be available (SOB, Butler, Smith) as well as 4th liners outside of Bouma.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We were clearly lucky to get a point last night and that is all thanks to Berra. But at least its 1 more point than the Oilers have without Smid :laugh:

Smid had an alright game but like most defensive defenseman you won't notice them if they are playing well.

I think Backlund had a mediocre game offensively. I think as we pass Christmas the "core" of the team moving forward will be chosen and I think we will see a lot of moves to be made. I think one of Backlund or Stajan will be gone, as well as one of Stempniak or GlenX (I would assume Stempniak) will be gone, I think most of our bottom pairing guys will be available (SOB, Butler, Smith) as well as 4th liners outside of Bouma.

I agree with all these points.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I agree with all of this.

To pose a question to you guys, would you rather see the Flames trade Backlund or Stajan? Recently, I'm leaning more towards trading Backlund.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

To pose a question to you guys, would you rather see the Flames trade Backlund or Stajan? Recently, I'm leaning more towards trading Backlund.

I'd rather trade Backlund for 2 reasons

a) I believe he will have higher value because he is signed next year and for cheap as well as being young enough some teams could see him as having a higher ceiling than Stajan

b) Stajan is better and is a leader off ice

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Whoever is worth more.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
So the Flames version of rebuilding means keeping the vets and trading away the younger players. That's certainly a novel way of doing things.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Backlund and Stajan are pretty similar players. Neither is going to return a key piece to our rebuild in a trade either.

By the time we are competitive Stajan will be 32-33, while Backlund should be entering his prime.

I would move Stajan.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
So the Flames version of rebuilding means keeping the vets and trading away the younger players. That's certainly a novel way of doing things.

Moving 1 3rd liner isn't going to make or break the rebuild and I think it's best for both backlund and the team if we move backlund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad