TSN: Sharks and Oilers have re-engaged on Erik Karlsson

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He rejected the Oil in 2018.. .had a modified NTC and Oil were on it. I posted the link earlier but we're at page 47 and I'm not finding it so you can believe me or do a quick google. It was then GM, Chia, that said he wouldn't waive to come here then.
Its a pretty different time. He was in the prime of his career looking for a huge deal and Edmonton was.. Edmonton then.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Its a pretty different time. He was in the prime of his career looking for a huge deal and Edmonton was.. Edmonton then.
I was just correcting someone who said he never refused to come here... he did. That's all.

FTR.. I'd be surprised if he waived to come to Edmonton in his 30's either. He's rich, has a NMC and living in Cali. Lots of teams he could go to have an equal or better chance at a Cup than Edmonton.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I was just correcting someone who said he never refused to come here... he did. That's all.

FTR.. I'd be surprised if he waived to come to Edmonton in his 30's either. He's rich, has a NMC and living in Cali. Lots of teams he could go to have an equal or better chance at a Cup than Edmonton.
He's competitive and knows his career is almost over. He's going to go anywhere that gives him a shot and is willing to take on his contract

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
First Shark to win the Norris seems pretty impressive.

paying $11,500,000 for 8 years to get a potential Norris win in the franchise record seems like a bad move

a $92,000,000 contract just to get a Norris nomination and maybe win it once yikes feel bad for San Jose they got taken to the cleaners with this contract

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
People are not understanding that retaining $20M+ over the next four and a half years is a ton of money. Given the lack of attendance, you have to wonder if ownership is willing to spend that much money to have Erik Karlsson not play for them.
If you're going to lose money either way what does it matter? Lose 20 million while saving like 19 million or lose 39 million only one of those options decreases the total financial loss if the attendance is really that big of an issue.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What teams?
Any of Dallas, Edmonton, Florida, Toronto, and others if they choose. Not saying all will have interest or anything but if the Sharks are willing to retain to where Karlsson is a 7-8 mil cap, lots of teams will see what they can do.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
knowing how its gone so far would you want San Jose to still sign that EK contract?
The bigger problem for SJ wasn't the Karlsson trade/contract, it was Evander Kane. Re-signing him led to us not just giving up a 2019 1st that led to the 1st in the EK trade becoming Stutzle in 2020, but also losing Joe Pavelski due to cap concerns. But that's all hindsight either way, you can't always judge moves like that later on.

Reactions: guyzeur

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
If I was a contending team, I don’t think I would want to trade for him in the offseason. I would want to see how he’s doing. Its too much risk.

But maybe for a team like Buffalo, maybe they could do it in the offseason if they want. But they’re also probably content with things are going.

If Grier doesn’t trade him before the deadline, I think its a missed opportunity.
With Power and Dahlin on the roster, I see no reason why Buffalo would trade for Karlsson.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Cannot wait to see what Voodoo the Oilers pull off to get Karlsson added. I have literally seen teams who couldn't add a McDonalds Happy Meal they were so close to the cap but have miraculously added big salaries.

Meanwhile, the Wild signed two players to 13 year contracts in July of 2012, right before the lockout started in September 2012 and the league changed the rules to punish the Wild over 2 legally signed contracts.

Now, when they have an upper echelon D core and the second best goalie in the league and a team that defends better than anyone in the league. With a superstar winger, another 21 year old winger destined for stardom the Wild can't add anyone beyond this year because of the $14 million dollar cap penalty.

You'll excuse me if adding Karlsson and his $11 million to a team with $4.85 of cap space pissed me off.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad