Post-Game Talk: Sharks 7, Oilers 4

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Like it or not this team was doing extremely well before we lost Russell and Klef and nothing is going to happen with changes being made to management personal while they're out and probably for the rest of the season.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
He also just isn't very good at hockey.
He was good enough at hockey to go #4 after smashing it out of the park at the World Juniors and doing well as a teenager in the SM-liiga.

He hasn't developed anywhere near as well as his 2016 contemporaries.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I thought the consensus on D was they hit their prime at 27. That's three more years. Nurse isn't an idiot.
Sure, if he is supposed to carry a line it should be the bottom one, but if he's capable of playing with a second pairing D and looking the part, wouldn't that make him a second pairing D?
He hasn't looked the part on the second pairing.

In second pairing minutes he was getting blown up most games, and was defensively a shit show that Russell was struggling to keep a float.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Lowe, MacT, Howson all still have jobs.

Lowe and MacT are actual OBCs. Howson isn’t and did actually lose his job for a while there. Chia is even farther removed from the OBC tree. I don’t think those angry Katz rumours this season were overblown. Katz needs a scapegoat as well.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Now he is being given multiple games in the top 6 and looks terrible.
To be fair, the entire team is looking terrible.

Losing Klefbom and Russell has tilted the ice the wrong way. Every pairing is drowning, and that's going to have a cascade effect on our forward group.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Lowe and MacT are actual OBCs. Howson isn’t and did actually lose his job for a while there. Chia is even farther removed from the OBC tree. I don’t think those angry Katz rumours this season were overblown. Katz needs a scapegoat as well.
Howson is our own Billy Martin. He's been employed by the team three times already.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He was good enough at hockey to go #4 after smashing it out of the park at the World Juniors and doing well as a teenager in the SM-liiga.

He hasn't developed anywhere near as well as his 2016 contemporaries.
He hasn't developed. He is arguably worse now than he was when he was drafted. Draft year Puljujarvi was great, he looked terrible in camp and his game has floundered since

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
You're not going to win icing two AHL pairings and a meh 2nd pairing. Especially when both Nurse and Larrsson are completely off their games. It makes drawing conculsions from these games hard, as such an obvious flaw is going to make everyone look bad.

Teams know to forecheck hard on the Oil's defence, and have their defence stand up on the forwards. Thus the puck is always being tossed around like a grenade, and it's leading to sloppy ungly, and predictable turnovers, as the teams completely unable to build any speed.

I know I said I wouldn't go after the forwards, but I don't understand why Caggs always falls up... He's a dump player who often hurts the team more than he helps. His only redeeming quality is chasing the puck, but even then it's noramlly a turnover right after he gets it. Rieder's also beyond hopeless in the offensive zone, but I at least trust him defensively. I know Spooner's uneventful, but having him in the lineup lets you keep Khaira on the wing on a higher line, where he's far more useful than the Drake.

On that note, I though Khaira and Yamamoto both looked good. They were some of the few that tracked and controlled the puck well in my eyes.

Can we please move Caggs and Benning for a TVR or Pysyk-type return? Please?

Draisaitl-McDavid-Rattie/Yama
Khaira-RNH-Pulju
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Rieder-Spooner-Rattie/Yama

Russell-Larsson
Nurse-Pysyk
Jones-Gravel

That at least gets you to a point where you can survive until Klefbom and Sekera are also back.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
We were ragging on Remenda for saying that Rattie goal was in for sure - and not just shutting up for 15 seconds and waiting for a replay.

Looks like they are giving it to McDavid, meaning the original shot and replays they were showing were ruled not over the line.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
He hasn't developed. He is arguably worse now than he was when he was drafted. Draft year Puljujarvi was great, he looked terrible in camp and his game has floundered since
Yes.

I assume that you agree with me then that Puljujarvi was horribly handled if you say that he looked great in his draft year and has floundered since.

Where we differ, I think, is in our belief as to whether the player can recover his game and play like a #4 pick.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes.

I assume that you agree with me then that Puljujarvi was horribly handled if you say that he looked great in his draft year and has floundered since.

Where we differ, I think, is in our belief as to whether the player can recover his game and play like a #4 pick.
He hasn't been handled well but he also hasn't shown f*** all. Guy will carve out a career as a 30-40 point 3rd liner. He, like Nurse don't have the hockey IQ, positioning or skill to be anything more.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Easily one of the worst hockey games I’ve ever seen live. We at least have enough individual talent to score here and there but my God are we awful in our own zone and in transition.

Yes, any team would be worse off without two of their top four defencemen but Dallas and Boston were effectively icing their AHL teams defences for weeks and treaded water.

The complete inability of Chiarelli to surround McDavid/Drai/RNH with any kind of competent talent is absolutely mind boggling.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Doubt he lasts that long. Barring a miraculous comeback by the team this year, he’s gone by the draft at the latest.
He will be here till his contact is up. Katz doesn't want to keep paying guys who don't work for him anymore. He is broke.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think he's lost them, I think he's got Hitchcock asking him to play a game that lets him be on the ice as often as he is.
"We need you, don't get into the physical stuff."
If true, then that’s a big problem. Telling a player to do different things than he’s wired or, and has been successful in the past with, is usually not going to work out well. Just like playing the living shit out of a few people inevitably leads to their burnout, and they wind up playing worse than when they had less minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad