Post-Game Talk: Sharks 4, Pens 2: Wasted Opportunities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You could look at that another way, though. The Sharks are due for a dominant game and/or the Pens are due for a real stinker.

San Jose didn't get to the Cup finals by playing bad hockey or by being dominated all previous series, only to have Jones bail them out all the time. They're a good team. And they might be due.

Similarly, the Pens have been fantastic for most of the first five games of this series. They've yet to have a real stinker. At some point, the Pens have to have one of those games where they just don't have it.

So in some ways, the fact the Pens have been dominant for all five games and the series is still only 3-2 could be seen as a bad thing. Because all it will take is for San Jose to be the better team one night or the Pens to lay an egg for this thing to get out of hand.

I would buy that if the Pens had not been dominating everyone. Not just this playoffs but for months now.

I would argue that it is the Pens who have under performed and who are due for a blow out. All the evidence supports that position more than yours.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I could see it if the Sharks were dominating play and we were at 3-2. But man.. we seriously could have won all 5 games in this series. I think the Pens have outplayed the Sharks pretty much every game.

For patches they did. San Jose played with a lead, and they ate up time in the Pens zone. How many times did they eat up clock locking the puck to the boards. That only benefited them having the lead.

Yeah, the Pens got their chances, but they were much better at knocking guys down and interfering where the Pens didn't have footing to release and get those second/third chances.

Jones wasn't great anymore then the other games, the team in front of him did enough to not allow virtually clean chances after the initial one.

They played desperate.

When you have the lead, funny how that stuff works.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would buy that if the Pens had not been dominating everyone. Not just this playoffs but for months now.

I would argue that it is the Pens who have under performed and who are due for a blow out. All the evidence supports that position more than yours.

Every series except this one, the Pens have had one game where you wonder where their collective heads were at. The Tampa series, the game Fleury replaced Murray after the Pens went down 4-0, was a stinker. The Washington series, the 3-1 Game 5 loss wasn't a good effort, and neither was the Game 4 one where Murray bailed the team out with 47 saves. And against the Rangers, Game 2 was pretty poor.

So every single series the Pens have laid an egg at least one time. They haven't yet done that this series. So to say the evidence doesn't back it up isn't quite right. There is evidence. We've seen it each round.

Also, you're not taking into account San Jose. Do you think they got this far by mistake, or by relying on Jones to save them after they get outshot 2 to 1 every game? They got to the finals by beating some tough teams, and by playing great hockey. Thus far, they haven't played great hockey. Is it really out of the realm of possibility they still have at least one great game in them?

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Looking for input on my fragile fandom

I'm 34 been a fan since (really before I can remember) when every year we'd travel from Florida to Allison Park to see my uncle and go to the igloo. Skip everything in between but I feel so depressed and worried that if he we somehow to blow this lead their is no coming back from that for me. We are too close and I've been too invested.

Does anyone else feel similarly? If we can't win THIS cup THIS year I'm afraid I won't be able to get into it next year. Am I over exaggerating? Is this all still too new and still do involved in an emotional run?

Let's go Pens!

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
For patches they did. San Jose played with a lead, and they ate up time in the Pens zone. How many times did they eat up clock locking the puck to the boards. That only benefited them having the lead.

Yeah, the Pens got their chances, but they were much better at knocking guys down and interfering where the Pens didn't have footing to release and get those second/third chances.

Jones wasn't great anymore then the other games, the team in front of him did enough to not allow virtually clean chances after the initial one.

They played desperate.

When you have the lead, funny how that stuff works.

Yes, there were pockets of that game where the sharks got some decent zone time. But again, they were tiny segments within a 60 minute game. They're paid too, and of course they will have their moments during the course of a contest.

But I think the knee jerk reaction the second the final buzzer goes is to start looking for a bunch of things to give the opposition credit for. You're angry at your own team, so you want to kind of **** on them while at the same time giving a little extra credit to the other team that they probably don't deserve.

Sit back and think about it for a sec. What did the Sharks do that was so special last night? A wraparound goal that should NEVER go in on a seasoned pro, and a weak snapper from the point that gets tippped. That was it. That was their game.

If the Sharks didn't get 5 shots on goal during their PP (and what a joke of a call that was considering the calls that weren't made earlier) they finish with 17. 17! In a game they absolutely had to have.

There's all kinds of random **** that happens during games, but the Pens pretty much owned that game for 58 minutes. I'd argue it was their best game of the playoffs after the 2 minute mark.

And I know some tool from the Sharks board is going to read this and and take a hissy fit at how we're giving their team no credit, but one thing I've always liked about our boards is that under DB, when we won games like the Sharks did last night, we always acknowledged how fortunate we were, and that a better effort was needed.

Sharks fans shouldn't give a crap about style points in June. It doesn't matter at this point. At the same time, both sides should understand what last night was about.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I'm 34 been a fan since (really before I can remember) when every year we'd travel from Florida to Allison Park to see my uncle and go to the igloo. Skip everything in between but I feel so depressed and worried that if he we somehow to blow this lead their is no coming back from that for me. We are too close and I've been too invested.

Does anyone else feel similarly? If we can't win THIS cup THIS year I'm afraid I won't be able to get into it next year. Am I over exaggerating? Is this all still too new and still do involved in an emotional run?

Let's go Pens!

There's living in the moment and reality if it doesn't go your way, the Pens are looking good to get back there provided they make the right moves and signings.

Living in the moment can be hard. Like last night, I said my peace and cut the cord.

New day, and.....

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Let's go Pens!

If we blow this 3-1 lead and lose to San Jose, I'm taking a break from hockey. Partly because that will be a tough, tough pill to swallow. But mainly because I'm not really happy with the direction the NHL is going. Too much clutching and grabbing, too much swallowing of the whistles to the detriment of skill, etc.

The only reason I'm still even following hockey this season is because the Penguins have been having success. If the Pens missed the playoffs or were ousted in round 1, I likely would have never watched another minute of hockey. I just don't find the NHL very enjoyable at the moment because of how little it's focused on allowing the stars to be stars.

WhiteWalker*

Does anybody know will they wait until the outcome of Game 6 before putting Game 7 tickets on sale? I just don't want to miss my chance.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016

Let's go Pens!

This is as much for me as it is for you: it's only a game, brother. Really. Take this from a fan that still vividly remembers Uwe Krupp scoring on a bouncing puck from the blue line. Loses stick with you, sometimes more than wins. But remember that we are lucky to pull for a team like the Penguins. They win their fair share, and have had the best players players to cheer for from about 1984 on (your entire life). Really, that's all you can ask for, right?

And I tell myself this too...if not for that bouncing puck we have no Jagr. Maybe Chicago wins game one in 92 without him and there is no cup. Sometimes you have to endure the heartache to really enjoy the victory.

Stop and realize where we are as a team: 1 win away from the Stanley Cup, with 2 chances to get that win. Enjoy TODAY, because it doesn't happen always. And if we lose, pop in your 2009 championship DVD and realize that there is no such thing as a championship DVD for the Caps or Flyers. :)

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, games like these happen. Kessel banging 2 posts on one shot and wiffing on a wide open net is about the synopsis anyone needs.

Play that game 10 times over and we win 9 of them.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
habs fan here, the Sharks cannot compete with you guys, it was just the martin Jones show. I would like to see Murray regain his form for game 6, he is young and it is normal. Go Pens!!!

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
habs fan here, the Sharks cannot compete with you guys, it was just the martin Jones show. I would like to see Murray regain his form for game 6, he is young and it is normal. Go Pens!!!

Thanks.

You are correct in that it was the Martin Jones show. The issue is that the Martin Jones show needs to stop airing in order for us to win the cup. I hate tv. :laugh:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

I only blame Murray for the 3rd goal I think that was the most stoppable

The first 2 imo were goals 80% of the time going in.
Just me though think I was and am in the minority.

Murray plays like yesterday again and the pens play like yesterday again and the sharks players play the same way again.

And then finally if Jones goes back down to earth aka doesn't save scoring chances left and right. Then the pens win.

This whole series has been pens hockey domination. I ain't worried

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, the first goal was brutal. You cannot let in a short side goal like that. He was completely off his angle.

That play is like a cheat code for them, and they are going to use it every chance they get. It's highly advantageous because they either get Murray off the post for a short side goal, or they get a prime shot on his glove side.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yeah, the first goal was the bad one. Couture's tip was no big deal. The third one looks bad, but Karlsson fanned on it. Looked like it fooled Murray as he was expecting it full speed.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I only blame Murray for the 3rd goal I think that was the most stoppable

The first 2 imo were goals 80% of the time going in.
Just me though think I was and am in the minority.

Murray plays like yesterday again and the pens play like yesterday again and the sharks players play the same way again.

And then finally if Jones goes back down to earth aka doesn't save scoring chances left and right. Then the pens win.

This whole series has been pens hockey domination. I ain't worried

Murray is a great young goalie and frankly he reminds me of Carey Price and to win a cup at his young age would be monumental for him. I will say however that it could have been a 4 game sweep for you guys if not for the softie against Joel Ward. I do believe that he will come back strong in game 6. I enjoy watching your team with so much speed, I want to see Sid score in game 6, I am from Nova Scotia so I have great respect for for him, he needs to will the team to a win in game 6. truly rooting for you guys.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Calm down with the end times prophecies, guys, please. We're still up 3-2. Yeah, that was an absolutely infuriating game, I completely understand the frustration and feel it as acutely as any of you, but this series isn't over. We're a better team than San Jose. Does the better team always win? No, of course not. Maybe Jones has enough of the super goalie serum that every opposing goalie save Lundqvist has been drinking against us, but we have two more chances and I do not believe that we will waste both of them.

This.

Would've been awesome to wrap it up last night, but it just wasn't in the cards. Right now I'm mostly pissed that it's two more long days until Game 6.

We got this.

LGP!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You guys/gals are really screwin' around with the voodoo.

Game 5 day, i didn't see a GDT up at all during the morning/day.
First thing i thought was, yep, not good, we're losin' tonight.

And now theres no series discussion thread either, which we've had all playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad