Post-Game Talk: Sharks 4 Oilers 3 OT

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The thing that annoys me the most about Pulju (and I bet bugs the hell out of McLellan too) is that Pulju could be such a physically dominant forward on the forecheck, but is back to doing that thing where instead of skating through guys and shoving defenders off the puck, he stops skating and instead leans out and tries that weak pokecheck that seldom works. I don't know if it's due to lack of effort, lack of endurance or a lack of confidence in what he's supposed to be doing out there...but whatever it is, it's not working for him.

Many good points in your post. You may be right about the nationality thing, but I still wouldn't be surprised if that (or maybe rather the language/accent) plays a part. I actually still believe it probably does, as do the other factors you mentioned, too.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right about Jesse. But I can't help wondering what the situation would be with other kind of usage when he was still doing well. I haven't been there myself so I can't say for sure, but I would assume there's been several times he's been more or less confused and felt he isn't rewarded when he'd deserve it and whoever he clicks with is often removed from his line. I have a feeling that if he's put with McD again he'll show some of that sort of aggressiveness again, but of course he should be able to do it with others, too. But like we've seen with e.g. Drai, the linemates play a part, too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lucic I'm not going to touch as I suspect his treatment is more an organizational directive to "get him going" because Lucic's contract will look catastrophically bad if this becomes the new normal for him, but it's only fair to note that both Caggiula and Cammalleri have been healthy scratched more than once this year so I wouldn't say it's fair to lump them in with the diplomatic immunity that Lucic currently enjoys.

I honestly don't think McLellan cares too much about nationality, like a lot of standard coaches he tends to give extra rope to "At least I know what I'll get out of him" players (to borrow an often used MacT-ism)...guys that may not accomplish much, but give the appearance of effort and being engaged with the game.

I think McLellan was ready to give Slepy lots of icetime to start this year off of his decent playoffs, but Slepy was unfortunately injured to start the year, and once he got back it just seems like he's incapable of being consistent. As much as it pains me to say it because I've always been a big backer of this player when he brings his good game, but it's like clockwork with Slepy: He'll have a good 2-3 games, then seems to just fade away into nothingness. It's like so many bubble guys I've seen over the years, guys that seem to need to have their ass constantly kicked in order to get anything out of them. That kind of guy just drives you crazy after a while, and quite often require an address change in order to give them the face slap that will either resurrect their NHL career or have them run to Europe/KHL to play a game that's more their speed.

Regarding Puljujarvi, I think it's a combination of factors, some of it on the ice and a lot of it off the ice. It's pretty obvious at this point that of that big junior line that dominated the WJHC (Aho/Laine/Puljujarvi), Pulju is by far having the hardest time adjusting to North America, for various reasons well covered.

The thing that annoys me the most about Pulju (and I bet bugs the hell out of McLellan too) is that Pulju could be such a physically dominant forward on the forecheck, but is back to doing that thing where instead of skating through guys and shoving defenders off the puck, he stops skating and instead leans out and tries that weak pokecheck that seldom works. I don't know if it's due to lack of effort, lack of endurance or a lack of confidence in what he's supposed to be doing out there...but whatever it is, it's not working for him.

Hopefully after another summer of maturing both physically and mentally, he'll turn into the player we thought we were getting when we lucked into him at 4th overall.

Just regarding the Pulju forecheck, one thing. I definitely in recent outings (and particularly Calgary) noting the Oilers playing differently or perhaps being told different things. Our forecheck pressure was not nearly as aggressive as any of the last 7 times that we beat the flames. We also weren't hitting or chasing hits. Instead we played very much of a hangback numbers back game. saw the same game against the Islanders, a couple others. The oilers limiting GA first. But to such a degree that I think the players are being told not to pursue the forecheck and puck pressure much. Also the D have not been pinching anywhere near to where they were before to support offense. Lots of plays in last 5 games where D are flying back when they could easily retain puck through pinch.

As usual this is probably reactionary feedback from the coaching staff due to some counter goals we got caught on.

The sum result though is how much what the players are told CHANGES. For young kids particularly this is all kinds of confusing. I absolutely agree Pulju is better when he's allowed to aggressively pressure. So is Draisaitl, Nurse, Kass, Khaira, Lucic etc.

I think it possible that Pulju is being confused at what he is supposed to be doing out there.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
TMac was saying after the game about Pulju, that he wishes he could go to him and say, “Hey kid relax a little bit, and things will be okay. The puck will go in the net, just relax, and shoot it.”

My question is why don't You? Don't You talk to Your players? Isn't this something the coach should do? Help Your players reach their best accomplishment...
There are more and more incidents that show similarities between Mclellan and Eakins as time goes on. I swear I remember Eakins saying the same thing about Yakupov and me thinking “why doesn’t he just go talk to him then? “ prior to his coming here I thought Mclellan was a good communicator with his players. From the outside looking in it looks like he does most of his communicating through the media.

Reactions: PulYou

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Just regarding the Pulju forecheck, one thing. I definitely in recent outings (and particularly Calgary) noting the Oilers playing differently or perhaps being told different things. Our forecheck pressure was not nearly as aggressive as any of the last 7 times that we beat the flames. We also weren't hitting or chasing hits. Instead we played very much of a hangback numbers back game. saw the same game against the Islanders, a couple others. The oilers limiting GA first. But to such a degree that I think the players are being told not to pursue the forecheck and puck pressure much. Also the D have not been pinching anywhere near to where they were before to support offense. Lots of plays in last 5 games where D are flying back when they could easily retain puck through pinch.

As usual this is probably reactionary feedback from the coaching staff due to some counter goals we got caught on.

The sum result though is how much what the players are told CHANGES. For young kids particularly this is all kinds of confusing. I absolutely agree Pulju is better when he's allowed to aggressively pressure. So is Draisaitl, Nurse, Kass, Khaira, Lucic etc.

I think it possible that Pulju is being confused at what he is supposed to be doing out there.

I think you're pretty bang on here.

We have also seen a resurgence from Talbot in the last while. A lot of that is due to the PK (chicken vs egg in a way) but it also has to do with more reserved / low risk play.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

I still remember his first game this season, when he was flying all over the ice, playing a physical game, and seemingly having a good time on the ice. He was called up from the AHL suddenly, if I remember correctly not practising with the team, so maybe he had no time to get confused over TM's instructions. Obviously a bit similar last year in the AHL. Started very efficiently, but created less as time went on and he was obviously concentrating on his defensive game as advised by the coaches.

Of course this doesn't explain everything and doesn't take all the responsibility away from the player, but I think there's a good chance you have a great point there.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

You could be right, and it wouldn't be the first time that hesitation or confusion was misinterpreted to be sloth/lack of effort.

It's frustrating if so, because a physically engaged Pulju is a much more effective player.

Reactions: PulYou

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You could be right, and it wouldn't be the first time that hesitation or confusion was misinterpreted to be sloth/lack of effort.

It's frustrating if so, because a physically engaged Pulju is a much more effective player.

Might be the 2nd time he's been right.:toothless

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce