Post-Game Talk: Sharks 3, Pens 2 (OT) - ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Even if Murray sucked tonight what's the option? Play MAF or zatkoff :laugh:

FWIW, there's no team Fleury's played better against over his career than San Jose (career SV% of .936). Not that I'd expect to see him unless Murray got hurt, just thought that was an interesting tidbit - especially compared to how badly he's struggled over the last few seasons (well, most of his career) against Tampa.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
FWIW, there's no team Fleury's played better against over his career than San Jose (career SV% of .936). Not that I'd expect to see him unless Murray got hurt, just thought that was an interesting tidbit - especially compared to how badly he's struggled over the last few seasons (well, most of his career) against Tampa.

RS MAF =/= Playoff MAF. Nuff said.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I don't care who the backup is, and thats part of my point. If it was Fleury in net who let in those 3 goals we'd have a 15 page hatefest dedicated strictly to him! Murray needs to be held to the same standard from time to time as well. This could've easily been a win for us had he made those easy saves.

Just to point it out: if the general consensus is "Murray is a better goalie than Fleury", which it is, then that would dictate that he should be held to a higher standard than Fleury.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
RS MAF =/= Playoff MAF. Nuff said.

Not that I want to flood this thread with more MAF crap, but MAF has struggled against the East over his career. Period. Doesn't matter if it was regular season or playoffs. His statistics are significantly better against Western conference opponents than they are against the East. For instance, his career (regular season) SV% against the East is .910; against the West, it's .920.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Wow some of you guys are the reason people make so much money in the stock market.

Wild, emotional swings. Too high with the good, too low with the bad.

Jesus, calm down.

SJ is a very good team. A sweep was very unlikely. Last night was the franchise's first ever home SCF game, in a situation where they are in a must win game. And they STILL got outshot and allowed the Pens to control much of the game. They were within ONE SHOT of going down 0-3.

Murray allowed 2 regulation goals. He stopped a lot of VERY high quality chances. Ward's shot was stoppable but those go in sometimes guys. He got a ton of wood on it and it found a hole.

For anyone to be saying anything about MAF is just crazy. What do you expect? MM to never give up a goal?

As for Letang's pinch, if they score on that play you are all loving him. In game one he was below the goal line setting up Bonino for the winner. No one was asking what he was doing down there late in a tied game. You have to let them play and let the chips fall where they may.

Pens are up 2-1 in the SCF, have outshot and outpossessed the Western Conf. champs by a good margin. If you were offered that before the series started, every one of you would have taken it.

Keep outshooting and outpossessing the sharks and I like the Pens chances.

RELAAAAAAAAAXXXXX.

exactly. Losing in OT to a team you are up 2 games on in the Final isn't a reason to go all Vancouver here. We've been here before & everyone needs to take a deep breath. We've largely outplayed the Sharks the entire series so far & if that trend continues, I think our chances of closing this out are quite high. Game 4 affords us another opportunity to get up on these guys & we should take advantage of it. Going on the road, I always look for a split, so if we can manage that, we'll be in good shape...

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Guys, it's Sunday. The day to relax. I unwound by reading this entire thread, all the media hottakes (DK's morning java, Dunlap had a write-up basically saying the Pens are fine and will win). I think on the other side, you all owe it to yourselves to check out this piece by Burnside:

Martin Jones: Man or Machine? Goalie Martin Jones keeping calm while moving the San Jose Sharks along against Pittsburgh Penguins

Jones has been special.

Also, I will unwind further later tonight by watching the NBA Finals. LBJ, Chef Curry, Chef Love, Klay...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We had a legit 50/50 shot to win that game and came out on the losing side. Players can play better. Team can rally harder. They've been terrific after losing games. I trust Sully. I trust the players. I trust we will come out and go balls out in Game 4.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
We had a legit 50/50 shot to win that game and came out on the losing side. Players can play better. Team can rally harder. They've been terrific after losing games. I trust Sully. I trust the players. I trust we will come out and go balls out in Game 4.

Yep.

Rossi with a great point on the radio this morning, "fans live and die with each of these wins and losses much more so than the players do. They'll be fine."

So true. Many people on the boards don't handle the losses OR the wins well. Over exaggerations with either result.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
There has to be something wrong with Geno offensively. 0 points in this series, no goals in 6 games. 17 shots in 6 games.

He's playing with tunnel vision imo. Needs to be moved to the wing or something because he's just not using his linemates effectively. Skill/speed/strength is still there so I don't think it's an injury issue.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't care who the backup is, and thats part of my point. If it was Fleury in net who let in those 3 goals we'd have a 15 page hatefest dedicated strictly to him! Murray needs to be held to the same standard from time to time as well. This could've easily been a win for us had he made those easy saves.

Do people even read the threads before posting stuff like this? Murray IS getting blamed. Countless times. By countless posters.

Read the thread. Seriously, read it. Note how often Murray has been given a minus, or how many talk about the soft goals.

Because it seems you haven't read the thread if you think Murray isn't being held to that standard.

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
I'm the end we needed more from Geno. His production or lack there of is the main reason we were unable to close out this cup

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Yep.

Rossi with a great point on the radio this morning, "fans live and die with each of these wins and losses much more so than the players do. They'll be fine."

So true. Many people on the boards don't handle the losses OR the wins well. Over exaggerations with either result.

Rossi giving a reasonable take? The end is nigh.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm hoping Sullivan is coming around to using 87 with 71 on most every O-zone draw.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yep.

That's the nature of fandom. I think that's why being a fan of sports can be so nerve wracking. We have an emotional investment in something that we have absolutely zero control over the outcome of, so it results in a lot of angst and "end of the world" type posts. I think that's just our way to express that lack of control.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Gotta win game 4. Don't like calling it a must win. But to me it is.
I agree. I think the circumstances put it about as close to a non elimination must win that there is because it is such a huge swing. The difference between being up 3-1 and heading home, and allowing a team that was down 2-0 to turn it into a 3 game series is massive.

Boohoo we lost. The real disappointment I feel is the product I was forced to watch. Between bad ice and terrible refs, that game was a complete bastardization of the sport. The finals should be the pinnacle of the sport, instead it looked like a mid November game between Minnesota and NJ.

A billion dollar sport/business is in the hands of morons. 5 ugly goals goals, bouncing pucks Combined with a rodeo style play made for a night of zero enthusiasms. If you were to go back and call penalties by the book, Burns might have committed 27 all by himself. Oh well, I'm sure next game will be better.
Agreed. I don't want to complain about the officiating in terms of the outcome but in terms of the product, what a joke. With the levels of incompetence involved, it is a miracle the league hasn't folded.

That looked like the worst ice I've ever seen. I can't recall ever seeing a puck bounce as much as it did last night. We should have won regardless of these things but what a terrible product to cultivate on the national stage.

fastb

Mar 26, 2006
San Mateo, CA
That's the nature of fandom. I think that's why being a fan of sports can be so nerve wracking. We have an emotional investment in something that we have absolutely zero control over the outcome of, so it results in a lot of angst and "end of the world" type posts. I think that's just our way to express that lack of control.

Exactly! I've been under a ton of pressure at work lately, but perversely I'm more stressed out watching the Penguins. There's definitely a calming element when you have control over something.

Also, haven't we all watched playoff hockey before? Sure, Murray gave up a lousy goal, but the Pens still largely outplayed a desperate team on its home ice and only lost in OT, and still have a 2-1 lead in the series. The reason they play seven games is for the lucky bounces to even out; in the long run the better team usually wins, and from what I've seen so far that team is the Penguins. The Sharks are quite good also though, and since when do the Pens ever make it easy? ;)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Exactly! I've been under a ton of pressure at work lately, but perversely I'm more stressed out watching the Penguins. There's definitely a calming element when you have control over something.

Also, haven't we all watched playoff hockey before? Sure, Murray gave up a lousy goal, but the Pens still largely outplayed a desperate team on its home ice and only lost in OT, and still have a 2-1 lead in the series. The reason they play seven games is for the lucky bounces to even out; in the long run the better team usually wins, and from what I've seen so far that team is the Penguins. The Sharks are quite good also though, and since when do the Pens ever make it easy? ;)

Quality = your post, and some others.

I'm not stressed the least bit. In the moment stuff should be kept there unless it is some attempt to take out one of our players with a cheap dirty play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad