Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Murray isn't ready.

Even Lundqvist and Rinne have had bad games in this and other playoff years. He has shown he's more than ready, but that doesn't mean he's going to have off-nights or is a finished product.

Murray wasn't great, but he still gave us a chance to win. Malkin hasn't done ***t. Rust didn't have a good game (if he's not 100%, but in Bennett). Kunitz was the best player on that line and that says something. Kessel didn't do **** either. We're not going to win if our best players aren't our best players. Aside from Malkin doing a great job this serious of not taking stupid/lazy penalties, he's been awful. On the few good chances & rushes he's had, you realize if he could only try harder and do that more consistently, he would be unstoppable. If Malkin had 1/3rd of Sid's consistent work ethic and determination, he would be the best player in the world with no one even close to him. The difference between him in 2009 and now is between the ears, not physical inability. I've been waiting for him to step up and he hasn't.

Pens also need to adjust their power play. If they're not going to have good entries or adjust their approach, they need to dump the puck in and outwork the other team. They also need to double-shift Sid & Geno much more often.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Great to hear.

Those entries into the zone just has to be them using their speed and stop dropping the puck back. Take what they give you.

I'd rather they just put the puck on net from the blueline to get an offensive zone faceoff, especially with how we're winning draws.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Murray let in a softie, no doubt, but he made some gigantic saves for us multiple times last night. It could have been much, much worse.

I watched Sid try and throw 5 cross ice passes last night through 4 guys standing in the slot. He needs to just shoot the ****ing puck or carry it. Some of the passes he's trying to throw are fine in January...they don't work now.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We outshot them 42-26. The greatest disparity in shots yet in this series.

You'd never know that reading this thread.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Murray's going to be fine. That said, as I mentioned in the GDT, I do think he's been coming down to earth lately and his technique and angles aren't as sharp as the were earlier in the season. Whether it's just facing better competition or fatigue, or shooters getting a better read on him- I don't know.

I do think that an off-season with Bales is going to do wonders for him though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kid's got alligator blood. I fully believe he will be spectacular in game 4. Same with Sid. Same with Letang.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We all said they were due for a stinker, and despite playing poorly on bad ice, it still went to OT. It sucks to lose, but I'm feeling surprisingly okay after this morning's loss.

Gotta stay limber, gotta prep those gifs, gotta keep our eye on the prize. Limber up those posting fingers!

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
We outshot them 42-26. The greatest disparity in shots yet in this series.

You'd never know that reading this thread.
Expanding on that, pens outshot them 41-19 at even strength. Sharks are a good team they were going to win one or two even if they get outplayed. I expect pens to come out with a great performance tomorrow night. This team has given me no reason to doubt them.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Murray's going to be fine. That said, as I mentioned in the GDT, I do think he's been coming down to earth lately and his technique and angles aren't as sharp as the were earlier in the season. Whether it's just facing better competition or fatigue, or shooters getting a better read on him- I don't know.

Good point. I think we kind of forget that he's a fairly raw product by NHL standards. It is going to be fun to watch him develop.

Kid's got alligator blood. I fully believe he will be spectacular in game 4. Same with Sid. Same with Letang.
You almost got me! :laugh:

:sarcasm:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm the end we needed more from Geno. His production or lack there of is the main reason we were unable to close out this cup

He kept trying to do it all himself and when he got in trouble he would dump it off and by then the play wasn't going to happen, it's a sad thing when Kunitz looked better than him in the game.

But that Letang jump on the pk and half assing it back, that gave the sharks life. Thanks Kris Letang.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I think he's fine but the team blocking so many shots in front of him messes with his reactions because there's too much going on with the other team and then he has to worry about his team deflecting **** off angle when he's prepped for the shot incoming. He's looked fine, Jones is getting clean looks.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yep.

Rossi with a great point on the radio this morning, "fans live and die with each of these wins and losses much more so than the players do. They'll be fine."

So true. Many people on the boards don't handle the losses OR the wins well. Over exaggerations with either result.

Makes these all the more entertaining to read....:laugh:

GENO*

Feb 27, 2012
Murray was so close to pulling off an amazing run.

This one is going to hurt because I honestly think we are the better team but just could not capitalize on so many chances.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I expected us to lose one of the two in SJ, but game 4 is pretty crucial in my eyes. The powerplay needs to score and we need more than 2 lines to sustain offensive pressure. I don't think the Cullen line is going to be able to duplicate what it did last night.

Hopefully Hertl's still out, or better yet he plays but is all ****ed up.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Here's all I'm going to say about last night's game.

At the very worst, it was a puncher's match.
At the very best, the Pens had the edge in play for a good part of the game.

I'll agree that the Pens didn't play great, but the Sharks weren't that good either. Think about it: this was a team down 0-2, at HOME, and that was the best they could muster. Let that sit for a while.

They can talk about shot attempts all they want, but kicking back to the point for shots from the least dangerous part of the ice doesn't mean you played that well.

The only problem I had with the refs last night is that non call when Burns high sticked Bonino. The ref was right there, looking right at it, and refused to blow the whistle because the home team was down 0-2 and it was right at the end of regulation.

If there's anything to worry about right now, it's Jones vs. Murray. Jones has looked steady to spectacular, and Murray has been something in between. Last night was a MAF type game where he played great, then allowed a couple of back breakers. This can't continue.

And as for the Fleury fanatics: Comparing your 10 year veteran goaltender to what is essentially a newborn is having some very, very hilarious standards.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Murray is ready but he needs to be put in slowly. Don't throw him in. Give him 30-35 games next year and see if he can handle that. Let Fleury do the other 45.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I expected us to lose one of the two in SJ, but game 4 is pretty crucial in my eyes. The powerplay needs to score and we need more than 2 lines to sustain offensive pressure. I don't think the Cullen line is going to be able to duplicate what it did last night.

Hopefully Hertl's still out, or better yet he plays but is all ****ed up.

I wouldn't worry about the 4th line. Kuhn looks like he's getting faster because whatever foot problem he has is healing, and Fehr actually looked good the last couple of games

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The "ease Murray into it" thing is like how the organization used to treat young players. Murray is only going to develop endurance by getting accustomed to a heavy workload. He should play 50-60 games next season...not 30. He will be the starter, and it shouldn't even be refuted at this point.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Our biggest x-factor is Evgeni Malkin, and he hasn't taken the step forward that I thought he would after the Caps series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad