Post-Game Talk: Sharks 3 @ Canucks 1: Schedule the eulogy for one week from now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
is Chaput the worst 3rd Sedin ever? i think so.

Careful....didn't Megna spend some time with the twins this year?...it's a tossup to be sure.....but figures that it would take a coach like Willie to find the two worst 'third Sedins', and in the same season, yet.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Careful....didn't Megna spend some time with the twins this year?...it's a tossup to be sure.....but figures that it would take a coach like Willie to find the two worst 'third Sedins', and in the same season, yet.

Megna didn't really stick that long and is more of an experiment. If you going to count him as might as well as Dorsett as the worst 3rd Sedin. Looks like Chaput is going to stick with Sedins for the rest of the season and he's played what feels like 15+ games with them already (correct me if im wrong)

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Megna didn't really stick that long and is more of an experiment. If you going to count him as might as well as Dorsett as the worst 3rd Sedin. Looks like Chaput is going to stick with Sedins for the rest of the season and he's played what feels like 15+ games with them already (correct me if im wrong)

Not that long? He spent like 30+ games, no?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Could Chaput be Willie's outgoing revenge on the Sedins?....both Daniel and Henrik a collective -42 on the season....if they're such a defensive liability why hasn't Willie just split them up?...doh!

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I don't see how we aren't competing with LV next season for worst overall next season.

Where's the ~20 points going to come from to even put us in a wildcard position?

Even with a added 40-50 point scorer (if we win the 1-2nd overall pick) we aren't getting a 20 point bump. Look at Edmonton, they had a 48 point McDavid last year and they couldn't improve that much. It took them till now, with basically a 100 point mcdavid and PPG Draisaitl to get to the playoffs. There is no way we can get the same bump unless we sell the farm and go for a Tavares level player. Also, if the rumors about trading Tanev or maybe Edler are true then we are only gonna get worse. Because you know we are gonna lose value in that move.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah there are no magic beans here. Unless the Sedins and Eriksson all rebound to be 60+ point players and the kids take another step I can't see any move management could make to ice a particularly better team.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Yawn... into subterranean garbage time so deeply that any evaluations are likely absurd and meaningless.

I mean who would have supposed at the beginning of the season that AHL utility man Chaput the Kaput would now be our go-to guy. Just waiting for the news that Canucks have signed him to a multi year deal.

And who could suppose that one of our lines would be a career minor League from Europe, a skinny kid fresh out college and smallish defenseman who had spent most of years in the minors. And, beyond that, they would be as good a line as we've got.

And who would suppose that in a game against a team that might return a first round draft if they win out, that we would cripple one of their key players. Irony doesn't get any thicker than that.

In the end, you wish they had put this team out on Day 1 to tie up the top draft spot because that is about all that this bunch is good for.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Wade Brookbank > Jeff "The Bra-barian" Cowan > Chaput.

I was at one of those Cowan with the Sedins games. It was fun. What a concept: fun at a Canucks game.

Speaking of Cowan, as I recall, he actually earned that bump up to the first line, which is why it briefly worked. He had momentum, and AV rode it while it lasted. AV was good about rewarding players for good play, just in general. The team felt like a meritocracy. Again, what a concept.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I was at one of those Cowan with the Sedins games. It was fun. What a concept: fun at a Canucks game.

Speaking of Cowan, as I recall, he actually earned that bump up to the first line, which is why it briefly worked. He had momentum, and AV rode it while it lasted. AV was good about rewarding players for good play, just in general. The team felt like a meritocracy. Again, what a concept.

Yeah I probably didn't give enough credit to Cowan (though at least I had him ranked higher than Chaput :naughty:).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Listen, I am not some sort of coaching expert.

But when Boesers best attribute is his shot, and you have him on the PP, and you play him on the mid/low hashmarks, that makes zero ****ing sense.

Like absolutely zero, Either play him on the point, or put him on the high marks ala AO.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Can't believe we're at 5-6 games now and the #Canucks haven't set Boeser up for a single one timer... holy crap, why use a weapon you've been handed?

When's the last time anybody on this team was set up for a one-timer? It's one of the basic hockey plays this team has been appallingly poor at, even back to AV's days. But at least with AV the team was skilled enough to play fancy hockey all the time.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yeah there are no magic beans here. Unless the Sedins and Eriksson all rebound to be 60+ point players and the kids take another step I can't see any move management could make to ice a particularly better team.

This is a team that had so many question marks going into the season where every single one of those questions needed to go in the positive way for us to just be competitive. Instead, pretty much everything has gone wrong, but many of those question marks are wrong for two years in a row—implying it's a much more systemic problem.

When's the last time anybody on this team was set up for a one-timer? It's one of the basic hockey plays this team has been appallingly poor at, even back to AV's days. But at least with AV the team was skilled enough to play fancy hockey all the time.

I remember when Erhoff and Salo would either get set up for huge one timers or smoothly dish off to Kesler for one.....sigh.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I don't see how we aren't competing with LV next season for worst overall next season.

Where's the ~20 points going to come from to even put us in a wildcard position?

Even with a added 40-50 point scorer (if we win the 1-2nd overall pick) we aren't getting a 20 point bump. Look at Edmonton, they had a 48 point McDavid last year and they couldn't improve that much. It took them till now, with basically a 100 point mcdavid and PPG Draisaitl to get to the playoffs. There is no way we can get the same bump unless we sell the farm and go for a Tavares level player. Also, if the rumors about trading Tanev or maybe Edler are true then we are only gonna get worse. Because you know we are gonna lose value in that move.

You could (and many did) make your 2017-18 prediction last season.

And somehow Jimbo thought otherwise....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad