Sharks 2015 Offseason Talk: Rumors, Trades, Signings, Proposals. Part XI

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Heh. I wonder how LA fans would feel about Kopitar signing with San Jose. I'm imagining a lot of disowning and devaluing.

"He isn't even that good. He doesn't perform in the regular season and was carried by Doughty and Carter in the playoffs."

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Heh. I wonder how LA fans would feel about Kopitar signing with San Jose. I'm imagining a lot of disowning and devaluing.

Not really. It depends on how negotiations go with LA and San Jose. If LA can't match San Jose's offer, or come close to it, I think LA fans would thank him for the memories while wishing him no success going forwards. And, of course, would delude themselves into thinking not having Kopitar's contract was a good thing.

If Kopitar signs for 7 million/year in San Jose, THEN you'd see some backlash.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I'd do 7 years, max out at 70 mil for Kopitar if he gets to UFA.

Yeah, a blowout deal like that would be something I'd like to see DW do. I don't know if I'd go to $10M AAV with the way the $CAN is looking.

Side note - does anyone know if the expansion fees and the new Adidas jersey deal and count towards HRR? Those would help boost the cap significantly. Of course, greater cap growth would help the Kings re-sign Kopi.

If Kopitar signs for 7 million/year in San Jose, THEN you'd see some backlash.

I think the Kings would easily re-sign Kopi if that's all it took.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, a blowout deal like that would be something I'd like to see DW do. I don't know if I'd go to $10M AAV with the way the $CAN is looking.

Side note - does anyone know if the expansion fees and the new Adidas jersey deal and count towards HRR? Those would help boost the cap significantly. Of course, greater cap growth would help the Kings re-sign Kopi.

Expansion at this point won't but I believe it's on the table between the two sides (however I don't think that'll go anywhere because the players have little leverage to get the owners to include it). Adidas deal will.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Expansion at this point won't but I believe it's on the table between the two sides (however I don't think that'll go anywhere because the players have little leverage to get the owners to include it). Adidas deal will.

Bring on the ads! (Actually it's probably better for the Sharks to not have much cap growth. Need some way for the Hawks and Kings to get back to the pack. Ducks too after next year.)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm sure it has to be close to that. Don't they have the same agent?

Anyhow, tough on the Kings since the cap situation is much different now than it was when Toews signed that deal.

How is it much different? The hawks signed toews and kane to the extensions (that start this season) on july 9th 2014. The cap situation is pretty much exactly the same, except about 2 million better this year. And by the time the kings have to sign kopitar and the contract kicks in the cap situation could be much better considering the new deals that have come in for the uniforms and media deal with the mlb.

And never know since it wasn't really talked about much since there was no talk about expansion 3 years ago during the lockout. But the money from the potential 2 new teams that could be coming to the league for the 17-18 season could make the cap also go up some.

The kings are actually in a better dpot then what the hawks are in for signing kopitar.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
How is it much different? The hawks signed toews and kane to the extensions (that start this season) on july 9th 2014. The cap situation is pretty much exactly the same, except about 2 million better this year. And by the time the kings have to sign kopitar and the contract kicks in the cap situation could be much better considering the new deals that have come in for the uniforms and media deal with the mlb.

And never know since it wasn't really talked about much since there was no talk about expansion 3 years ago during the lockout. But the money from the potential 2 new teams that could be coming to the league for the 17-18 season could make the cap also go up some.

The kings are actually in a better dpot then what the hawks are in for signing kopitar.

Well, I think the Hawks had/have a lot more experience doing this than the Kings. The Hawks are very familiar with trimming the roster, keeping their big guns, and supplementing them with their prospects (and they have an excellent drafting and development system).

The Kings don't have that same experience. Their prospect pool isn't nearly robust. Of course, they also have the bad contracts like Richards/Brown/Gaborik weighing them down. Chicago, for the most part, has been pretty lean and mean...Cristobal Huet nonwithstanding.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

There is a post in one of the threads on trade board, Kings board or Hawks board where a Hawks fan referenced an article that Bowman thought this season's cap would be $74M and next season's cap at $80M. It clearly isn't this season and doubtful it'll hit that next season. Also the drop in the $CAN from July 2014 is I'm sure, a lot more than Bowman & his capologist thought it'd be.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Well, I think the Hawks had/have a lot more experience doing this than the Kings. The Hawks are very familiar with trimming the roster, keeping their big guns, and supplementing them with their prospects (and they have an excellent drafting and development system).

The Kings don't have that same experience. Their prospect pool isn't nearly robust. Of course, they also have the bad contracts like Richards/Brown/Gaborik weighing them down. Chicago, for the most part, has been pretty lean and mean...Cristobal Huet nonwithstanding.

The Kings are fascinating to me with the Richards situation (a possibility his contract (and $5.8M) reinstated this season with buyout next offseason) and Brown who has probably the 2nd worst contract in the NHL after Richards.

They could be in a world of hurt in a couple seasons if the cap doesn't go up significantly.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The kings are going to get lucky with the richards contract. So that will be 5+ million coming off the kings cap. To add to there already 6.7 million in cap space as we speak right now.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
The kings are going to get lucky with the richards contract. So that will be 5+ million coming off the kings cap. To add to there already 6.7 million in cap space as we speak right now.

You should go read the many Richards thread to get caught up - at the least, understand their cap situation. Your math is wrong. Richards IS already off their books with only the $1.3M recapture cap hit on it.

If they lose nothing changes. Also, the $6.7M doesn't include Voynov.

If the Kings lose the grievance, Richards $5.8M goes back on their cap.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You should go read the many Richards thread to get caught up - at the least, understand their cap situation. Your math is wrong. Richards IS already off their books with only the $1.3M recapture cap hit on it.

If they lose nothing changes. Also, the $6.7M doesn't include Voynov.

If the Kings lose the grievance, Richards $5.8M goes back on their cap.

Even if the kings lose the battle with richards, next year the kings will have 11 million to sign kopitar. If they win the battle with richards it goes to 16 million.

And that includes voynov also.

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
Expansion fees are not included in HRR, 100% goes to Teams, players benefit by more jobs in the league.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Even if the kings lose the battle with richards, next year the kings will have 11 million to sign kopitar. If they win the battle with richards it goes to 16 million.

And that includes voynov also.

1. If Richards is re-instated AND the Kings aren't allowed a buyout immediately, one of Voynov, Muzzin or Martinez (i.e., a player with an AAV > $3M) will have to go.
2. Next offseason, don't forget about Lucic and Ehrhoff's slot to fill (#4 dman).

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
1. If Richards is re-instated AND the Kings aren't allowed a buyout immediately, one of Voynov, Muzzin or Martinez (i.e., a player with an AAV > $3M) will have to go.
2. Next offseason, don't forget about Lucic and Ehrhoff's slot to fill (#4 dman).

Kings are gonna get wrecked if Richards contract is reinstated. They'll be $4m over the cap.

Anyways regardless of what happens with Richards' contract this year, Kings have either $11m or $16m(depending on Richards) to work with assuming the cap doesn't go up. The lion's share of that will go to Kopitar. If they get lucky, they get him for $8m. If not he'll be worth about $10m.

Assuming the Kings do sign Kopitar, they'll have somewhere between $1m and $8m to work with. They'll need at least one forward, one defenseman, and one goalie. Probably a top 6 forward since they're probably lose Lucic, one bottom pairing defenseman, and a backup goalie. They don't really have a whole lot of space in general but they could probably be fine if they win the Richards thing. If they lose, they're pretty ****ed because keeping his contract or buying him out will hurt them a lot.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
Kings are gonna get wrecked if Richards contract is reinstated. They'll be $4m over the cap.

Anyways regardless of what happens with Richards' contract this year, Kings have either $11m or $16m(depending on Richards) to work with assuming the cap doesn't go up. The lion's share of that will go to Kopitar. If they get lucky, they get him for $8m. If not he'll be worth about $10m.

Assuming the Kings do sign Kopitar, they'll have somewhere between $1m and $8m to work with. They'll need at least one forward, one defenseman, and one goalie. Probably a top 6 forward since they're probably lose Lucic, one bottom pairing defenseman, and a backup goalie. They don't really have a whole lot of space in general but they could probably be fine if they win the Richards thing. If they lose, they're pretty ****ed because keeping his contract or buying him out will hurt them a lot.

Here's to the Kings being ****ed as humanly possible. Hahaha

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
From Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts:

In July, Canucks GM Jim Benning said he could have traded Ryan Miller. Best intel I could find indicated the likeliest possibility was San Jose. The Sharks went out and got Martin Jones, as Benning is committed to Miller.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
From Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts:

Yeah i don't see wilson wanting to trade for miller even if he was available.

And if he did want miller then he is a bigger idiot then i thought. Since he had a cheaper, better version of miller that wanted to stay for free in niemi.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I honestly don't know how we could've been able to afford Miller's contract to begin with since it would've had a huge negative impact on getting guys like Martin and Ward.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Miller was never the same after he was run by Lucic.

I still think he can be good, but right now his contract is too big of a risk. That being said I'd take him over Niemi any time.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/09/18/toronto-maple-leafs-training-camp-trade-rumors

There's some thought that TML may have "cleared the shelves" with their 5 prospect for one NHL player trade to pick up a number of "waiver wire" players to use as trade bait later in the season. (Could be at the start of the waiver period, or any time before the season.) That is, if they don't "fill up" by signing many of their PTO players.

How might that impact the Sharks? Some of the guys they signed for depth in AHL may end up being lost for nothing. Might mean that someone exempt from waivers (but not for their playing ability) is assigned to Barracuda so the team does not lose that player that would have to pass through waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad