Sharks 2015 Offseason Talk: Rumors, Trades, Signings, Proposals. Part XI

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
first.. LOL

But seriously, getting close to camp. Can't wait for real prospect news from camp. I'll be interested
to see who "surprises" and makes the team, and who "fails" and does not!

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
With everyone healthy, I'd say this is the best since 08-09 (which I'd rank higher).

Vlasic - Blake
Lukowich - Boyle
Murray - Ehrhoff

Their depth sucked though. Who was the 7th, Semenov/Joslin?
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1927663

That's pretty much how I see it except like you said we're deeper and let's be real, if Boyle went down Luko was not a top 4. They just fit well together. If a top 4 goes down this year we're much better prepared I think.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That's pretty much how I see it except like you said we're deeper and let's be real, if Boyle went down Luko was not a top 4. They just fit well together. If a top 4 goes down this year we're much better prepared I think.

Depends on who goes down in the top 4. Burns goes down we are screwed. Vlasic goes down we are less screwed but still screwed.

Braun/martin go down it won't be bad.

But we have nobody in the line up that can do what vlasic and burns do. Braun can sort of make up for the loss of vlasic, but it is still a huge drop off from vlasic to braun and from braun to who ever replaces his spot.

Burns well there is nobody on the roster that can replace his contributions to the team.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Depends on who goes down in the top 4. Burns goes down we are screwed. Vlasic goes down we are less screwed but still screwed.

Braun/martin go down it won't be bad.

But we have nobody in the line up that can do what vlasic and burns do. Braun can sort of make up for the loss of vlasic, but it is still a huge drop off from vlasic to braun and from braun to who ever replaces his spot.

Burns well there is nobody on the roster that can replace his contributions to the team.

But the same goes for Blake, Boyle, Vlasic in 2008. Semenov and Joslin were our 7 & 8 that year.

Anybody goes down that year and we're screwed :laugh:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
But the same goes for Blake, Boyle, Vlasic in 2008. Semenov and Joslin were our 7 & 8 that year.

Anybody goes down that year and we're screwed :laugh:

Semenov and joslin mean nothing for a top 4 injury. Yes they still move up in the roster, but still are only going to be bottom pairing/pressbox due to a top 4 injury.

It is the 4th, 5th, 6th guys that need to have the top pairing potential/ability. And if we get the same dillion as last year, we do not have a top 4 caliber #5.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Semenov and joslin mean nothing for a top 4 injury. Yes they still move up in the roster, but still are only going to be bottom pairing/pressbox due to a top 4 injury.

It is the 4th, 5th, 6th guys that need to have the top pairing potential/ability. And if we get the same dillion as last year, we do not have a top 4 caliber #5.

Murray was never a top 4 and Lukowich was barely iceable without Boyle. That D was more vulnerable than this one IMO.

Who do you consider top pairing on the 08 team?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Murray was never a top 4 and Lukowich was barely iceable without Boyle. That D was more vulnerable than this one IMO.

Who do you consider top pairing on the 08 team?

Blake and boyle. And we all know that blake was at the end of his good top 4 blake ways.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Blake and boyle. And we all know that blake was at the end of his good top 4 blake ways.

I mean who do you think could replace them as top pair if they went down and who couldn't on this team. We're talking what if's and how deep each group appears. I thought you were saying this team isn't deep the way that team was.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I mean who do you think could replace them as top pair if they went down and who couldn't on this team. We're talking what if's and how deep each group appears. I thought you were saying this team isn't deep the way that team was.

Not me. I honestly don't care how deep this team is compared to past sharks teams. Especially since i have been one of the most outspoken for just how crappy built the teams of the past have been built.

I will say this team is probably the deepest the sharks have ever been since i started following them in 2005. But i still don't think it is deep enough as built to get the sharks deep into the playoffs. If the sharks add another burns esque player or even better a mix of burns and vlasic at the deadline then i think they can do some serious damage.

I liked the martin signing, if and only if he is a secondary signing/trade. The sharks need 1 more top 4 offensive player in my opinion.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Not me. I honestly don't care how deep this team is compared to past sharks teams. Especially since i have been one of the most outspoken for just how crappy built the teams of the past have been built.

I will say this team is probably the deepest the sharks have ever been since i started following them in 2005. But i still don't think it is deep enough as built to get the sharks deep into the playoffs. If the sharks add another burns esque player or even better a mix of burns and vlasic at the deadline then i think they can do some serious damage.

I liked the martin signing, if and only if he is a secondary signing/trade. The sharks need 1 more top 4 offensive player in my opinion.

I think we're set perfectly to start the season. See who makes the team, what it looks like on the ice. We have 2M in cap space with Torres on the team, which would allow a top deadline acquisition possible if needed. It's all wait and see now.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I think we're set perfectly to start the season. See who makes the team, what it looks like on the ice. We have 2M in cap space with Torres on the team, which would allow a top deadline acquisition possible if needed. It's all wait and see now.

I'd like Zidlicky still thank you very much.Otherwise, I'm happy as a clam for the season to start.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Also, you can't help but notice that the forwards are deep, but that the top-talent isn't as good as it has been. The Sharks have four bonafide top-6 players...Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Couture. Hertl is the only other player who might qualify, and he's inexperienced. That might be the weakest forward core the team has entered a season with since 2008...and that was in an environment with weaker teams in general

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Also, you can't help but notice that the forwards are deep, but that the top-talent isn't as good as it has been. The Sharks have four bonafide top-6 players...Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Couture. Hertl is the only other player who might qualify, and he's inexperienced. That might be the weakest forward core the team has entered a season with since 2008...and that was in an environment with weaker teams in general

The sharks forwards have done a role reversal. Before the sharks had one of the best top 6 in the league but very weak bottom 6. Now we are weak at the top 6 but are very deep at the bottom 6.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The sharks forwards have done a role reversal. Before the sharks had one of the best top 6 in the league but very weak bottom 6. Now we are weak at the top 6 but are very deep at the bottom 6.

The immediate success is pretty dependent on how far Hertl, Tierney, and Nieto can progress next year. I'm hoping at least Hertl takes the next step and put up a lot of points but I think Tierney might be able to do it too. I dunno if Nieto's ever going to step into a scoring role though but he'll probably be a good/great player regardless IMO.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Hard to say. When looking at scoring, the Sharks's bottom-half (that's all forwards outside of the top six, and all defenseman outside of the top three) tends to do poorly because they don't get a lot of PP time. More than many other teams, the Sharks give their PP time to a select few players. Considering they've generally had a very successful powerplay, it is hard to fault this strategy. Like, for example, last season, the Sharks's bottom-half was 23rd in scoring overall (at least at the 70 game mark), but 15th at ES scoring. Of course, at that sample size, 5 points will drop or raise you five spots...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The team has top six talent in terms of potential but it hasn't been actualized yet. When they were good up top, they didn't really have any potential underneath capable of filling the bottom six. So at least what they have now has a future filling out those secondary areas in the top six. They likely don't have that elite talent coming up but I believe Hertl and Goldobin have an outside shot at getting there. But the next couple years if Thornton and Marleau stay at a high enough level and those kids develop into top six contributors, they'll be able to compete come playoff time. Other things need to pan out too like Dillon, Mueller, and Jones but if we're sticking just to forwards for this discussion, it has the potential to be playoff competitive but it's just not there yet.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
As far as bottom 6 lineups go,

Wingels - Tierney - Nieto (Ward/Hertl)
Karlsson - Smith - Torres

is probably our best in the past 10 years, I'd say. I think Ward will mainly be the F1 for Joe.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I am going to recant my earlier statement...Tierney and Goldobin are other players who could jump into top-six roles.

Its really easy, in hindsight, to look at a past season and say the Sharks went into it with all this top-end talent. But there were a lot of questions surrounding players like Michalek, Pavelski, Couture, and Setoguchi...

That isn't to say that Tierney, Hertl, and Goldobin are at the level that those guys were at as rookies/beginners, but still.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Until you see Franson play on a structured team. There is a reason no one threw money at him.

That's an interesting comment. What do you mean by that? Are you saying that Franson benefits from playing on a team with low expectations?

I figured that he made the mistake of asking for too much at the start of free agency, and now, teams don't have that much cap space available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad