Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Can we just target Ladd and Buff in the off season and throw 6 mil x 5 years for both?

If we land Buff, trade Burns for a bluechip and a 1st before the draft.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Can we just target Ladd and Buff in the off season and throw 6 mil x 5 years for both?

If we land Buff, trade Burns for a bluechip and a 1st before the draft.
From what I am hearing, Buff is looking for upwards for 7M AAV and a long term deal. He is not getting either of those in SJ. And I am not that interested in Ladd.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
No confidence that DW's gonna be able to do anything to fix the team in the short run or long run. Pretty much it's gonna come down to prospect development luck.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Word on the trade board is Emerson Etem is being moved soon. I'd be happy moving Nieto/Wingels for him. Change of scenery type deal, and it would give Hertl a little bit more of a scoring winger.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Gormley cleared. Congratulations on being content with this defense, DW.

tumblr_m9oqh37oQX1r3mol5.gif

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
I have not watched Gormley closely to know what he is competent at and what his deficiency's are, but we could have tried a:
Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Braun or Martin
Gormley-Martin or Braun

or if they wanted to keep a shutdown pairing:
Vlasic-Braun
Dillon-Burns
Gormley-Martin

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I'm assuming Gormley wasn't claimed because of cap space with Torres coming back shortly and what not. Still, I'd have figured they could have made enough space by sending Demelo down, but maybe not. Seems like a gimmie.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'm assuming Gormley wasn't claimed because of cap space with Torres coming back shortly and what not. Still, I'd have figured they could have made enough space by sending Demelo down, but maybe not. Seems like a gimmie.

Torres already counts against the cap. 29 other teams also passed.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm still stunned if this is true. I waited a day to post. It didn't help. Why wouldn't DW be going hard after Drouin? It's like when he didn't go hard after Babcock, given the available coaches. WTF?

When was the last time DW was pushing hard after a player known to be publicly available? I think the moment that happens, there is generally a bidding war and DW bows out (which he most likely should in that case instead of over-paying).

Also, even if DW was going hard for Drouin, we would never know.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
When was the last time DW was pushing hard after a player known to be publicly available? I think the moment that happens, there is generally a bidding war and DW bows out (which he most likely should in that case instead of over-paying).

The bolded is why I said "if it's true". I don't think that the public knowing that a player is available leads to higher prices or a bidding war since, if a GM is doing his job, all the relevant teams will know that for any available player. (That's the main reason Sweeney was criticized for the Hamilton deal.) The general public knowing about it is not going to affect the price. In this case, I think Walsh's announcement lowered Drouin's price, although it probably lowered his value as well for many GMs. So that would be even more of a reason to go after him if DW wants a bargain.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands

Dany Heatley.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm still stunned if this is true. I waited a day to post. It didn't help. Why wouldn't DW be going hard after Drouin? It's like when he didn't go hard after Babcock, given the available coaches. WTF?

He probably already knew that babcock was a never was. Just because there was rumours that wilson offered a contract. Doesn't mean he never talked to babcock to get his opinion on the job.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The bolded is why I said "if it's true". I don't think that the public knowing that a player is available leads to higher prices or a bidding war since, if a GM is doing his job, all the relevant teams will know for any player. It's not going to affect the price. In this case, I think Walsh's announcement lowered Drouin's price, although it probably lowered his value as well for many GMs. So that would be even more of a reason to go after him if DW wants a bargain.

Drouin's price may be lowered but if 29 teams are going after him because of this 'low' price, it will become a supply and demand issue. Some teams will give up a lot more for him than others. That is what I meant by bidding war. I honestly do not remember the last time DW ended up acquiring a player/prospect of this calibre that was known to be publicly available. Do you?

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
He probably already knew that babcock was a never was. Just because there was rumours that wilson offered a contract. Doesn't mean he never talked to babcock to get his opinion on the job.

He talked to Babcock but reports were that Babcock initiated the discussions. That's what I meant. Even if DW knew that the Sharks probably couldn't afford Babcock, DW should have initiated the discussions, been upfront about the money, and if Babcock was still interested, invited him out and treated him and his wife (who supposedly was interested in moving to SJ) like royalty. We still probably wouldn't have gotten Babcock but that would have garnered some good vibes and positive future relationships with Babcock. Having Babcock think more highly of you is a good thing IMO. I think it was a missed opportunity.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Drouin's price may be lowered but if 29 teams are going after him because of this 'low' price, it will become a supply and demand issue. Some teams will give up a lot more for him than others. That is what I meant by bidding war. I honestly do not remember the last time DW ended up acquiring a player/prospect of this calibre that was known to be publicly available. Do you?

There should always be bidding wars for good players. There were bidding wars for Martin and probably Ward. Maybe not as many teams as for Drouin but as long as there are two or more teams interested, there will probably be a bidding war. Two determined bidders can drive the price up just as much or more than 28 lukewarm bidders. It's not the number of bidders that is most important but how badly they want the asset. The only way to determine that is to wait for the bidding war which means being involved (if you're interested) until the price gets too high. That's true whether it's two bidders or thirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad