Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Colin White, wallin, claude lemieux, brad stuart, scott gomez. There's a bunch.

What players that should have been on the roster were sent down? Not that I think Tierney has done anything special to stay up, but just because we signed some players you don't like doesn't equate to pushing better players down to sign "washed up" players.

Not that I agree that all of those were bad signings at the time, but they certainly weren't keeping our outstanding prospects from making the team.

This is just crap people say who don't like DW as if it were a reaction to a tap to the knee.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Some recent quotes from raffi on kurz Twitter make it seem like he may be done. Saying "if he can get over the hump he can be effective, if not it's time to think about other things"

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Can anyone explain this poll on the front page of TSN? I hardly think that Marleau's ""trade request"" falls into the same categories as those actual trade requests haha.

Thhsgtx.png

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Hope you don't mind, Jux, but I am copying your post from the Hertl main board thread to comment on it to a smaller audience:

Discussing a Hertl trade with other fans always ends in badness. Hertl is much more valuable than his counting stats suggest, and those who watch him on a nightly basis are the only ones poised to appreciate it. It's just a matter of time. Once he starts getting consistent top-6 time with actual wingers who aren't terrible, he'll break out in a big way. His talent is so evident, but his frustration at his lack of teammates who can keep up with him is even more evident. There was a glorious ~6 game stretch where he played with Marleau and Ward and he was beyond insane. Marleau and Hertl together have like a 60% CF in hard minutes. If I had my way I'd staple those two together.

I too thought Hertl looked great between Ward and Marleau. Basically, very little drop off if any from Couture (albeit tiny sample size).

Which get's me to wondering. Marleau and Couture have been glued to the hip for a few years now. As good as they are together, I always wonder how much of that defensive effectiveness is due to which of the tandem? Is Marleau amplifying Couture's shut-down abilities (if so, we may be in trouble when Patty retires/leaves). Honestly, I am not sure what I think on this. The two are on old married couple, I just think of them always together. Thoughts? Who is carrying whom?

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Can anyone explain this poll on the front page of TSN? I hardly think that Marleau's ""trade request"" falls into the same categories as those actual trade requests haha.

Thhsgtx.png

He's also #2 in voting. :laugh:

I'm kinda surprised Harmonic hasn't been traded already. I'd figure that would be a pretty easy deal to make.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Marleau was much less direct than Hamonic and Drouin when he 'supposedly' asked for a trade. There were some rumors in early November that a team was pushing hard to get him. Then came the list of three teams he would accept a trade to (LA, ANA, NYR).

Remember last season when Wilson said he would not ask Thornton or Marleau to waive their NMC's? Well I guess the media is perceiving the above activity as Marleau asking for a trade, because apparently DW will not seek out potential trade scenarios unless Marleau comes to him.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Marleau was much less direct than Hamonic and Drouin when he 'supposedly' asked for a trade. There were some rumors in early November that a team was pushing hard to get him. Then came the list of three teams he would accept a trade to (LA, ANA, NYR).

Remember last season when Wilson said he would not ask Thornton or Marleau to waive their NMC's? Well I guess the media is perceiving the above activity as Marleau asking for a trade, because apparently DW will not seek out potential trade scenarios unless Marleau comes to him.

In 30 Thoughts, Friedman basically said that the Patrick Marleau trade rumors literally died.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In 30 Thoughts, Friedman basically said that the Patrick Marleau trade rumors literally died.

That's because the likelihood of it being true in the first place was never that high. This is the same Friedman that said he wasn't even sure he should have been putting that out there because he didn't really know. It only became a thing when Kurz decided to run with it so he could stir the pot like he does.

Jul 10, 2010
Did Drouin ever play with Meier in Halifax ?

I don't believe he did, but I could be mistaken. I wanna say that in Drouins final season in Halifax he played with A combination of Ashley/Andrews/Ryan and Gaudory

I mean even the PP would be a stretch as Drouin played the point and I believe it was Ehlers and Ashley and Ryan up front

And personally having seen Drouin live, I'm not a fan and wouldn't give up a lot for him. His high point totals were due to him doing things at this level that he would absolutely not be able to do in the NHL.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
That's because the likelihood of it being true in the first place was never that high. This is the same Friedman that said he wasn't even sure he should have been putting that out there because he didn't really know. It only became a thing when Kurz decided to run with it so he could stir the pot like he does.

I agree. It's like it was made up or something. Never once made sense.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

I remember the main board thread for that :laugh:. I got crucified for saying they were false because these rumors have always followed him and Joe in times of turmoil.

Freidman' publishing is canon on the main boards, everything he says is prophetic according to most of them.

KKurzNHL

Sep 1, 2013
I agree. It's like it was made up or something. Never once made sense.

Some of you guys really like keeping your heads in the sand. ESPN confirmed my report, no one on the Sharks denied it including the player, head coach or captain, and others like Bob McKenzie reported it was Marleau who wanted to explore trade possibilities.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Some of you guys really like keeping your heads in the sand. ESPN confirmed my report, no one on the Sharks denied it including the player, head coach or captain, and others like Bob McKenzie reported it was Marleau who wanted to explore trade possibilities.

What ended up happening? DW didn't like any of the offers? Marleau retracted his request? They are still working on it?

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
What ended up happening? DW didn't like any of the offers? Marleau retracted his request? They are still working on it?

Marleau's wife had a pretty firm take on the rumors just being rumors.

"While Marleau refused to address the rumors head on, his wife, Christina Marleau, issued a firm denial on Twitter Tuesday night: “Math for Media: An ‘unnamed’ sourced rumor + add in 3 cities = still just a rumor. The guy just played with the flu, give him a break!â€" from that gackle report article http://www.gacklereport.com/feature...de-rumors-i-dont-really-want-to-feed-into-it/

Everything else we heard was just "no comment" or "this again?" etc etc..

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Marleau's wife had a pretty firm take on the rumors just being rumors.

"While Marleau refused to address the rumors head on, his wife, Christina Marleau, issued a firm denial on Twitter Tuesday night: “Math for Media: An ‘unnamed’ sourced rumor + add in 3 cities = still just a rumor. The guy just played with the flu, give him a break!â€" from that gackle report article http://www.gacklereport.com/feature...de-rumors-i-dont-really-want-to-feed-into-it/

Everything else we heard was just "no comment" or "this again?" etc etc..

Yea, it seemed more to me that they were tired of hearing another Joe or Patty trade rumor.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

So he was willing to completely change his life/leave the only pro team he's ever known and potentially move his family, then suddenly changed his mind? Seems like a decision you'd be absolutely sure about.

Marleau never says anything, so a no comment doesn't make that report true. He just didn't say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad