News Article: Sharks’ Minor League Team Is Moving . . . . To San Jose And SAP Center. Yes, Really.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Meaning they aren't that expensive. Even the WorSharks print and radio ads say "Tickets as low as $10"

Entirely different market in California and in the largest city in the north, prices will be up comparably.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
Entirely different market in California and in the largest city in the north, prices will be up comparably.

To be fair, what they actually said, from the Pollak article (http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_27421061/sharks-one-five-teams-creating-new-pacific-division), was:

Ticket prices will be well below NHL levels and, he added, probably below those in Worcester, where single-game seats ranged from $17.20 to $33.90 but often were discounted.

So, it agrees with 210 that Worcester prices were often discounted below the numbers listed, and says the SJ prices will probably be lower.

sharksohnoes!

whatisdeadmayneverdie
Mar 9, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
I have a dream where Santa Cruz builds an 8k seat, multi use arena to be shared by the Warriors and Sharks. There is a surprisingly big Sharks fanbase in SC and they have already shown that people will come out in mass for the Warriors. Would be too awesome.

You build it (100% privately funded) somewhere between Water Street and the Boardwalk. Revitalize that whole area called, "The Flats".

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I have a dream where Santa Cruz builds an 8k seat, multi use arena to be shared by the Warriors and Sharks. There is a surprisingly big Sharks fanbase in SC and they have already shown that people will come out in mass for the Warriors. Would be too awesome.

You build it (100% privately funded) somewhere between Water Street and the Boardwalk. Revitalize that whole area called, "The Flats".

Santa Cruz needs to stop smelling like urine to be worth going to.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I think the Sharks own SAP so they save whatever they were paying for in Wochester. Very excited for more hockey!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think the Sharks own SAP so they save whatever they were paying for in Wochester. Very excited for more hockey!

The city of San Jose owns the building known as SAP Center (aka HP Pavilion, Compaq Center, San Jose Arena), Shark Tank (or one opponent calls it The Cage).

Sharks' parent company operates the arena (and pays rent to city).

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
It'll be 2 years for Sacramento's NBA arena to be ready. And I think it'll be perhaps 3 for the new Warriors home in SF. (And that's if the Sharks want to share with a NBA tenant.)

Sacramento's new arena is scheduled to open in October 2016, the same month the AHL season starts. San Francisco's new arena is scheduled to open 2 years after that in 2018.

If any hockey team is going to move to San Francisco it's going to be the NHL Sharks and not the AHL team, because SF is a major league city and not a minor league one, not to mention the cost of living in the city would be way too high for a minor league player.

If the Sharks want/get a 5k capacity arena for Sharks Ice, that might be a nice option too

I honestly can't see this as a good option. The Sharks could've put the AHL team in Stockton, an arena that seats just less than 10,000. They obviously didn't mind letting the Flames put their AHL team in there, which is in the Sharks secondary market, so putting the Sharks AHL team in their new practice facility that will seat half that seems very self-defeating to say the least.

The only way I see the AHL team remaining in San Jose long term would be if the NHL Sharks move to SF and the AHL team plays at SAP Center.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
In regards to what the AHL team should be called, there really shouldn't be any other choice except the California Golden Seals. It's not city specific and it resurrects the brand that failed 40 years ago and gives it a new life. Not to mention the Seals name has a long history in the Bay Area.

thumbnail.php

SF Seals (1961-66)

oakland_seals_logo_1967-1970.png

Oakland Seals (1967-70)

200px-California_Golden_Seals_Logo.svg.png

California Golden Seals (1970-76)

Last edited:

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville

Ticket prices are always determined by supply and demand. I doubt the AHL team will be selling out SAP Center, so there should be plenty of tickets at great prices.

I lived in LA during the 2008-09 NHL season and I was in hockey heaven because I could walk up on game days to the Staples Center and they would sell $30 Kings tickets for $10 because they couldn't sell out. My how times have changed.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Had a quick chat with Tortora today. Was hinting that new AHL team will have "fishy" nickname.

(Well, that would fit in with things)

EXO

Jan 16, 2015
I thought it was already rumored that the name would be the San Jose Barracudas

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
It has something to do with the sponsorship of Barracuda Networks

If they are the driving force then there may be hope they put together a better team as the sponsor being local wouldn't want a legacy of losing bound to their company name. :) maybe:sarcasm: maybe:yo:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL Sharks STH have presale (until 3/31).

And option of selecting seats (for full AHL season package).

2 or 5 payment options.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
NHL Sharks STH have presale (until 3/31).

And option of selecting seats (for full AHL season package).

2 or 5 payment options.

I posted this to the Name-the-Baby-Sharks thread ...

No name yet, but I just got an email with Season Ticket pricing for next years Baby Sharks.

EXCLUSIVE SEASON TICKET PRESALE
SEASON TICKETS START AT JUST $408

The American Hockey League is coming to SAP Center at San Jose! Be the first to see the future stars of the Sharks organization - like current Sharks that played in the AHL such as Joe Pavelski, Logan Couture, Tommy Wingels, Justin Braun, Alex Stalock and many more.

As a Sharks Season Ticket Holder, you will have the exclusive opportunity to purchase San Jose AHL season tickets before the public. San Jose AHL season tickets start at only $408 - that's $12 per seat for 34 home games! Plus, you'll get great benefits such as:

Complimentary First Round Playoff Tickets
Invitation to exclusive events like Meet The Team autograph session and Skate With the Team event
Season Ticket Holder Commemorative Gift
No Wasted Tickets - trade in unused tickets for another game
Access to The Club at SAP Center for all ticket holders
Interest-Free Five Installment Payment Plan
Click here for more benefits and pricing information

PURCHASE TICKETS NOW

You will need to log in to Account Manager. Game dates, times, opponents and venue subject to change.
We anticipate a limited number of day games scheduled on weekdays.
Click here to read the full San Jose AHL Season Ticket Terms & Conditions.

Sharks Season Ticket Holder presale ends Tuesday, March 31 at 10PM. Exclusive presale period ends Sunday, March 29 at 10PM. For more info or to purchase season tickets by phone, call 408-977-4747.

It looks like they are only selling the Lower Bowl plus Upper Bowl sideline (Sec 228,201,202,214,215,216, rows 1-6).

image_AHL_201516_Season_DiscountedSeatingDiagram_v3_REV2.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad