News Article: Sharks’ Minor League Team Is Moving . . . . To San Jose And SAP Center. Yes, Really.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Just saw this

iR4UynL.jpg

Full article: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/purdy/...e-team-moving-san-jose-sap-center-yes-really/
SAP CENTER

Next winter, ice hockey at SAP Pavilion will have company: More ice hockey.

The Sharks will move their minor league Worcester franchise in Massachusetts to SAP Center for the 2015-16 season, this newspaper has learned. The team will play between 30 and 40 games in downtown San Jose, filling up currently vacant dates at the arena.

Last edited by a moderator:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
If this is true I have a hard time seeing it work out all that well but I guess it's worth a shot.

It'll be fun to have AHL games to go to.

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
Didn't someone say they are building an additional sheet of ice at Sharks Ice with like 6-9K seating? If so, then they will probably move the Seals there when it's complete?

210 and company, are you guys coming with the team?

sharksohnoes!

whatisdeadmayneverdie
Mar 9, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
Wow. Did not see this coming at all. Very strange move. I wonder what the pricing will be like...

Really bummed for all you loyal Wor Sharks fans. I know what it's like to lose you're team :/

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's early but thanks 210 and Speed for always keeping us up to date on Worcester Sharks and general prospect matters. The insight has been much appreciated all these years.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
They will probably be replaced by a franchise that is actually successful

Hard to know how successful it'd be. The Sharks should have a significant database of fans in the bay area, plus they can cross promote it and sell packaged tickets. Still, unless ticket prices and parking are significantly cheaper, it's a bit of a tough sell. Plus the Sharks will get priority on dates over the AHL team...minor league teams NEED weekend dates.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Wow. Did not see this coming at all. Very strange move. I wonder what the pricing will be like...

Really bummed for all you loyal Wor Sharks fans. I know what it's like to lose you're team :/

As happy as I am to have the AHL move West, it's always sad to see cities lose their teams. Hopefully Worchester can nab a team sooner rather than later. A step down to ECHL is still much better than nothing.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Hard to know how successful it'd be. The Sharks should have a significant database of fans in the bay area, plus they can cross promote it and sell packaged tickets. Still, unless ticket prices and parking are significantly cheaper, it's a bit of a tough sell. Plus the Sharks will get priority on dates over the AHL team...minor league teams NEED weekend dates.

This is where I think they're going to run into problems (also, $$). Between the NHL club and SAP doing lots concerts and whatnot the AHL club is at the bottom of the list for preferred dates.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
This is where I think they're going to run into problems (also, $$). Between the NHL club and SAP doing lots concerts and whatnot the AHL club is at the bottom of the list for preferred dates.

Yes, though maybe they get a lease discount because of the parent club? The other side of this is that the building is going to look VERY empty if it doesn't sell very well. They may want to just have seats available in the lower bowl.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Considering this is likely just a temporary venue for the AHL team, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure they're going to that new Sharks Ice arena being built.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad