GDT: Sharknado!

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
That's a bingo. And that's where we fail the most right now, by FAR. Our player development in Charlotte has struggled at best, and when you make the fewest picks of any team over such a long period that's eventually going to bite you in the ass big time. Add in the challenge we've had in attracting college UFAs that haven't sucked, and all that's obvious is that this team more then basically any other can't afford the misses on guys like Heerema, Dalpe, Tselios, Knyazev, and Boychuk that we've had over the years.

That list is depressing. I will say I do think/hope that we've improved our drafting over the last 3 years or so. With the likes of Skinner, Faulk, Rask, Lindholm, there does appear to be light at the end of that tunnel. It is just a long dark one and the train is going to have to keep on chugging for quite a while to catch up with the competition.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's a bingo. And that's where we fail the most right now, by FAR. Our player development in Charlotte has struggled at best, and when you make the fewest picks of any team over such a long period that's eventually going to bite you in the ass big time. Add in the challenge we've had in attracting college UFAs that haven't sucked, and all that's obvious is that this team more then basically any other can't afford the misses on guys like Heerema, Dalpe, Tselios, Knyazev, and Boychuk that we've had over the years.

While I don't disagree with your overall premise, I think the guys you list have little bearing on today's Canes. Heerema, Tselios, and Knyazev would most certainly not be with the Canes even if they had made it big. Dalpe was a 2nd round pick and the odds of a 2nd round pick making it is something like 20%. The only guy on that list that was a real "miss" impacting the Canes today is Boychuk.

I'm not sold that Charlotte does a bad job vs. the Canes did a bad job of drafting. The two go hand in hand.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Current Canes? No, Heerema, Tselios, and Knyazev wouldn't affect them, but they most certainly affected the Canes as we missed the playoffs time after time before this last lockout. And the horrible drafts that were 05, 06, 08, and 09 hurt this team unimaginably as well.

06 I can give something of a pass to since we won the cup that year, but to only end up with a guy that seemed like he was going to refuse to play here and a guy with massive work ethic issues as NHL regulars for any team out of 4 drafts is just astounding. We're fortunate the Burke was so focused on the ******** notion of "truculence" that he gifted us a top 6 forward for the single worst draft pick in Carolina Hurricanes history.

Yes, we've done much better since 09. The 2010 draft alone gave us more then those 4 drafts combined in only our first 2 picks. Murphy looks capable of being at least something, Rask looks capable, Lindholm looks capable. But there's no doubt in my mind that mediocre drafting with a lack of picks, and poor player development doomed the team as it sits right now. Maybe in 5 years things will be different... hell maybe next year things will be different if we make the right moves at the deadline and this offseason. But we have no depth, Charlotte's showing it, and our team did a hell of a job of showing it in the face of adversity in October.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yes, we've done much better since 09. The 2010 draft alone gave us more then those 4 drafts combined in only our first 2 picks. Murphy looks capable of being at least something, Rask looks capable, Lindholm looks capable. But there's no doubt in my mind that mediocre drafting with a lack of picks, and poor player development doomed the team as it sits right now. Maybe in 5 years things will be different... hell maybe next year things will be different if we make the right moves at the deadline and this offseason. But we have no depth, Charlotte's showing it, and our team did a hell of a job of showing it in the face of adversity in October.

I don't disagree. Part of the reason there is no depth in Charlotte though is because a bunch of young guys are on the Canes full time (whether warranted or not).

Still, I like what I am hearing from Francis re: Drafting and developing and I really hope he sticks to it. A team like the Canes can't have sustained success without it IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad