GDT: Sharknado!

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
32 points for Faulk in 52 games. Can he beat Pitkanen record 46 pts in 2010?

bluedevil58*

Sekera just became my favorite Cane. We gotta resign him.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
One thing working in the "re-sign corner" is the fact that there might be a lot of defensemen available now/in UFA : Franson, Phaneuf, Green, Petry, Zidlicky, Methot, Michalek, Myers, Ehrhoff, Martin, Beauchemin, Oduya, Yandle, OEL. Not all are on Sekera's level, but the supply is great.

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Yeah so like I was saying, our performance against these "top" teams has been excellent. Bring on the Ducks for take 2.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Question there is if it's a matter of the top teams "playing down" for us, us getting up (phrasing) for top teams but not being able to get up otherwise, or a combination of both.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^^ I think it's both, and the fact the fact that January is going about as expected:

Beat the Flyers who aren't very good either.
A tough win against a down Boston team.
Lost close on the road to the very good Predators.
Handled Buffalo.
Took a good Blues team to OT in St. Louis.
Beat the playoff-less Avs at home.
Lost to a bubble Canucks team at home.
Ugly win against the struggling Sens on the road.
Dismantled Toronto.
Probably had their best win of 2015 in Tampa.
Again took the Blues to OT.
We are who we thought they were in New York.
Another good OT game, this time against Anahiem.
Scraped by in Phoenix who isn't very good.
Beat the overachieving Sharks.

To me, this seems to scream what most of us thought they were when healthy: a bubble team.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
To me, this seems to scream what most of us thought they were when healthy: a bubble team.

Health is so underrated in sports. I think almost every team outside of the very very bottom are bubble teams at worst if completely healthy. The Islanders are a good example of how perfect health can propel an decent team to the top. And now that they're having a few hiccups healthwise, they're playing some mediocre hockey.

Canes are the worst in the league when banged up. But now they have their Staal's back and their defense is healthy, and they're winning more than they're losing despite their 3rd and 4th best forwards not scoring.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Health is so underrated in sports. I think almost every team outside of the very very bottom are bubble teams at worst if completely healthy. The Islanders are a good example of how perfect health can propel an decent team to the top. And now that they're having a few hiccups healthwise, they're playing some mediocre hockey.

Canes are the worst in the league when banged up. But now they have their Staal's back and their defense is healthy, and they're winning more than they're losing despite their 3rd and 4th best forwards not scoring.

If this argument is right -- and I think it is -- it means that the most important skill for an organization is not just "getting the best talent" but also "getting the most out of replacement level talent".

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That's a bingo. And that's where we fail the most right now, by FAR. Our player development in Charlotte has struggled at best, and when you make the fewest picks of any team over such a long period that's eventually going to bite you in the ass big time. Add in the challenge we've had in attracting college UFAs that haven't sucked, and all that's obvious is that this team more then basically any other can't afford the misses on guys like Heerema, Dalpe, Tselios, Knyazev, and Boychuk that we've had over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad