GDT: Sharknado in San Jose

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
idk if that's called logic or not but that's the reason why I don't think we should trade J Staal. Don't question me if you can't respond correctly.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
idk if that's called logic or not but that's the reason why I don't think we should trade J Staal. Don't question me if you can't respond correctly.

I question why you believe "the offense will come in time." He's 27. There's no hidden untapped potential there. He is what he is. And even if there is some untapped offensive numbers there, he's not going to find it on a team that can't score more than 2 goals a game.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Let me break out some half truths here. During Sutter's time here, nobody played at an elite level either. Jordan Staal IS elite defensively and he's being slightly overpaid for it because expecting offensive production from the guy is wishful thinking on my part.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I usually struggle with the cane prospect internal organizational hype train.

Pesce looks legit.

There was one sweet play where he tried to get away from the forecheck, skated behind the net, got caught by two guys, fell down, and they took the puck.

That's when I knew he was ready to be a canes dman.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Pesce looked like, at worst, good enough to play for the Canes. Sure that's not a high bar, but you know baby steps.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
There was one sweet play where he tried to get away from the forecheck, skated behind the net, got caught by two guys, fell down, and they took the puck.

That's when I knew he was ready to be a canes dman.

I know your being negative nancy but what about the rest of the game? I saw that play too, he had a couple of shifts where he tried to force it just to see what he could do. I was actually impressed on that play, that he so quickly got confident enough to try. I thought the rest of the game he showed quick feet, moved the puck well, was aggressive in his gaps.

I don't want him up right now, but he showed he's pretty close if not a third pairing guy now.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I know your being negative nancy but what about the rest of the game? I saw that play too, he had a couple of shifts where he tried to force it just to see what he could do. I was actually impressed on that play, that he so quickly got confident enough to try. I thought the rest of the game he showed quick feet, moved the puck well, was aggressive in his gaps.

I don't want him up right now, but he showed he's pretty close if not a third pairing guy now.

I thought he looked like a mediocre NHL dman doing a good enough job. That's a fine place to be for your first NHL game as a 20yo, but it's a really easy bar to step over. It's the gap between replacement level and helps you win games that is the hard leap to make.

That goes for all positions really. I'm over being excited because someone looks okay in the bottom 6 or bottom pair.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I thought he looked like a mediocre NHL dman doing a good enough job. That's a fine place to be for your first NHL game as a 20yo, but it's a really easy bar to step over. It's the gap between replacement level and helps you win games that is the hard leap to make.

That goes for all positions really. I'm over being excited because someone looks okay in the bottom 6 or bottom pair.

Tough Crowd.......

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well, I guess the positive is the Canes scored 2 goals in regulation this game, which is twice as many as their last 3 games combined. Currently sitting at 13 regulation goals in 8 games, so 1.625 G/Game. What's amazing to me is that Pittsburgh (11 regulation goals in 8 games) and Anaheim (6 regulation goals in 7 games...and 4 of them were in a single game) are worse.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Swiss warlock Martin Gerber put a curse on Cam to never be as good as he was in 2005-06 and for all other goalies to suck after we failed to extend his contract after '05-'06. Grahame's alcoholism? Leighton's fainting goat tendencies? Ellis cutting himself? Lack's gout? It's all on Gerber.

You win the thread.:handclap:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, I guess the positive is the Canes scored 2 goals in regulation this game, which is twice as many as their last 3 games combined. Currently sitting at 13 regulation goals in 8 games, so 1.625 G/Game. What's amazing to me is that Pittsburgh (11 regulation goals in 8 games) and Anaheim (6 regulation goals in 7 games...and 4 of them were in a single game) are worse.

Yep, it can always be worse. I mean, everyone pretty much knew coming into this season that we'd be a bad team and we'd struggle to score goals. To have expectations like Pittsburgh and Anaheim and have a non-existent offense? That's really got to suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad