Shanny Wants Rob Blake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I do like Yzerman though. Something about him.

Not debating that our management isnt inept. I'm one of the few that want kessel to stay lately

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Im going to drop some knowledge that some people seem to not realize....

Every GM good bad and otherwise, at one point got their start somewhere.

To say no to Blake just because he is inexperienced is dumb. Everywhere that Burke and Nonis have left their teams were barren, no prospect pool, very few young players coming up or on the team, etc. Yet they keep getting another job somewhere.

Experience does not = success. Nonis should be a great example of this.

Not dont get me wrong, I am not advocating to bring Blake in, I dont know how well he will do in Toronto, not necessarily because of the pressure or anything. I just think he has been given an easier starting ground in the LA in terms of viewing great players. A weaker more dysfunctional team may make evaluation more difficult.

I dont care if the next GM is experienced or not, I just want them to understand where the team lies and has a plan to improve its weaknesses without exaggerating the costs.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Makes no sense when there are other great candidates with experience available.

Doug Maclean, Mike Gillis, and Craig Button just to name a few.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
I dont care if its a new hire. Get me someone with an education who has worked their way up from being a scout. I want a hard worker.

I dont want a former player who didnt have to bust their ass to get there. How many great former players have won the stanley cup as a coach/gm recently? I'm not talking about scrubs, I'm talking about guys like Yzerman, Blake and Shanny level players.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Brian Burke had perhaps the best hockey managment cv in the league when he was hired by the leafs.

It's ok to take a chance on someone with new ideas.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'd rather bring in someone inexperienced. Inexperience is actually bliss in this market.

When you're experienced and come into Toronto...it seems like they turn their brain off before coming to work.

I'd rather see Mark Hunter in charge and Dubas as his top AGM than see an experienced GM again.

We don't need Burke/Nonis.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I'd rather bring in someone inexperienced. Inexperience is actually bliss in this market.

When you're experienced and come into Toronto...it seems like they turn their brain off before coming to work.

I'd rather see Mark Hunter in charge and Dubas as his top AGM than see an experienced GM again.

We don't need Burke/Nonis.

How much experience did JFJ have?

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I think Hunter/Dubas will be a good choice, but I wouldn't mind Blake for sure. People should stop talking this crap of inexperience. Look at Yzerman. Or Shanny, he has done so many good things in his first year as a fresh mind. It will be an interesting year.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think Hunter/Dubas will be a good choice, but I wouldn't mind Blake for sure. People should stop talking this crap of inexperience. Look at Yzerman. Or Shanny, he has done so many good things in his first year as a fresh mind. It will be an interesting year.

its not that blake wont come here ,i doubt LA lets him go ,im assuming mark hunter takes over as gm of the marlies and becomes director of scouting ,but i cant blame shanagan for hiring people he is comfortable with ,or go off the board for hiring ,hell it took gord kirke and peddie a year to find blow hard burke
and lewieke about 18 months to sign nonis to a 5 year extension ......
not a bad gig if u can get it
great parting gifts :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Cliff Fletcher - decades of experience.

Brian Burke - bags of experience and won a cup

Dave Nonis - tons of experience

How has the whole experience thing worked out for ya?

Steve Yzerman - no experience. Not too bad is he?

You know the difference here and pattern I notice?.

Team Builders based on being elite NHLers verses non NHLers.

Burke/Nonis - Team Builders without NHL player experience.

Shanahan/Blake (similar to Stevie Y) were All-Star NHLers and Hockey Hall of Fame players.

Who would know more about success in the NHL? Those that had it or those that never did?

thinkinfeller

Jun 20, 2010
Mark Hunter please. I also wouldn't be terribly disappointed if we hired Dale to coach after Babcock re-signs with Detroit.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Makes no sense when there are other great candidates with experience available.

Doug Maclean, Mike Gillis, and Craig Button just to name a few.

Firstly - I'm really hoping this list you've provided is a joke :laugh:

I'm actually amazed at how well so many here seem to know the ins and outs of what Rob Blake does for the Kings on a daily basis!

What I've seen from Shanny so far is that he talks to everyone in hockey, does extensive research, and tries to bring in the best and brightest. If he want's Blake, then I'm assuming that Blake is proving himself to be a very good hockey exec, with a very bright future.

No one here knew who Jim Nil was until he hit the news - and we have no idea the reputation that Blake has behind the closed doors of the NHL - but if the hiring of Hunter, Dubas, and the Analytics gurus is any indication, Shanny has done his homework and I'm guessing that Blake has skills we haven't seen.

I'm not saying he's the right choice - but I think it's silly to say he's no good when we actually have no idea of an NHL Exec's skill until they become news - but insiders do.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
(shrug)
it won't surprise me if he takes the job - as crap-hard as it will be - there are only 30 GM positions available in the NHL, and this one (again as crap hard as it will be), if a rebuild is on the way will insta be 40% easier.

but it won't surprise me if he doesn't (because it will be crap hard)

Agreed -- I fail to see how manning a rebuild would be hard as a GM.

Something that worries me is how the majority of our management group (Dubas, Shanahan, Hunter, and potentially Blake) have such little NHL managerial experience.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Agreed -- I fail to see how manning a rebuild would be hard as a GM.

Something that worries me is how the majority of our management group (Dubas, Shanahan, Hunter, and potentially Blake) have such little NHL managerial experience.

If we are rebuilding the pressure for results will be lesser and they can work with the team and gain experience that way. If they are good to evaluate talent (and nothing suggest they are not) then that is pretty much all they have to focus on for the first couple of years. It is when we after 2-3 are to take the next step and speed the rebuild up by bringing in the right veterans at the expense of the "right" youngsters their GM skills will be tested.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Here is Rob Blake's profile:

http://kings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=41316

hockey-canada-world-championship-201103117.jpg

ROB BLAKE

Vice President, Assistant General Manager

Rob Blake -- who will be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in November -- is in his second season with the Kings as the club’s Vice President/Assistant General Manager as he was officially appointed to the position on July 18, 2013. He also serves as General Manager of the Manchester Monarchs, the Kings primary affiliate (American Hockey League).

In his role with the Kings, Blake assists Dean Lombardi in all facets of the Kings Hockey Operations department, including contract negotiations, player personnel and overseeing the organization’s top prospects. In January of 2015, Blake will become the sixth former Kings player to have his jersey retired, and last season Blake served as General Manager of Canada’s National Men’s Team for the 2014 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship.

On the ice, Blake played 14 of his 20 NHL seasons with the Kings (1990-01 and 2006-08), the San Jose Sharks (2008-10) and the Colorado Avalanche (2001-06), where he won a Stanley Cup in 2001. He recorded 777 points (240-537=777) in 1,270 regular season games while in 146 playoff games he registered 73 points (26-47=73).

Blake, 44 (12/10/69), served as the Kings captain from 1996-01 and again from 2007-08 (six total seasons). He helped lead the Kings to the Stanley Cup Final in 1993; won the franchise’s first Norris Trophy in 1998; captured a gold medal at the 2002 Olympics; and he made seven trips to the NHL All-Star Game including four as a King.

He also is a two-time winner of the Kings Most Valuable Player Award (1997-98 and 1999-00); a six-time winner of the Kings Outstanding Defenseman Award (1990-91, 1991-92, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1997-98 and 1999-00); a winner of the Most Popular Player Award (1997-98); a winner of the Most Inspirational Award (1997-98); and he is a three-time winner of the Kings Community Service Award (1995-96, 1998-99 and 1900-00). He was named to the NHL’s All-Rookie Team in 1991; named to NHL’s First All-Star Team in 1998; and he was named to the NHL’s Second All-Star Team three times including twice with the Kings.

Blake was originally selected by the Kings in the fourth round (70th overall) of the 1988 NHL Entry Draft. A native of Simcoe, Ontario, Blake played college hockey at Bowling Green State University. He made his NHL debut with the Kings during the 1989-90 season and his final game came in the 2010 postseason with the Sharks.

Most recently, Blake worked in the NHL’s Player Safety department for three years.

Rob and his wife Brandy live in Manhattan Beach with their children Jack, Brooke and Max.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
He's only turned a mediocre Tampa team into one of the best teams in the Eastern conference.

Go look at some of the excellent moves he's made, and the deep roster he's put together.

What has Nonis done? What did Burke and Fletcher do?

My comment has nothing to do with Burke and Fletcher. When debating its important to leave out irrelevant facts. Makes you look like you have no points to back up your statement. So take another stab at it.

He's helped put together a team that can compete for the top of the weakest conference in NHL history. Of course probably worth pointing out that his centrepiece was here before he got the job.

Passed on Tarasenko and Forsberg in recent drafts. In terms of success on the ice, had the one run to the Conf Finals, although that was a team that was largely built before he got there. Then they missed the playoffs two times, and then made playoffs, only to get pumped 4 straight in the Fisrt Round.

Like I said, its good he's in the Eastern Conference, which is almost like the AHL to the NHL hockey played in the West. He can have a team that looks good in the regular season and make guys like you think he's done something.

Call me when he wins a Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad