Shanny Wants Rob Blake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrLegend28*

Brendan Shanahan's vision of the Toronto Maple Leafs executive boardroom is something of an old boys club from the Hockey Hall of Fame.

In an appearance on TSN Drive on Friday, Bob McKenzie speculated that Rob Blake is Shanahan's preferred candidate to replace general manager Dave Nonis, who is presumably seeing out his final days in charge of the Maple Leafs roster.

However, McKenzie doesn't believe Shanahan will be able to convince Blake to take on the weather-beaten reins.

I personally don't think Rob Blake has any interest in leaving Southern California. He's a surfer, he likes working with the Kings and as much as maybe one day he wants to be a general manager, I would be absolutely shocked if he wants to do it in Toronto.

For now, Nonis will spearhead a crucial trade deadline for the Maple Leafs, who finally appear prepared to strip down their failing roster.

Leafspoison*

Brendan Shanahan's vision of the Toronto Maple Leafs executive boardroom is something of an old boys club from the Hockey Hall of Fame.

In an appearance on TSN Drive on Friday, Bob McKenzie speculated that Rob Blake is Shanahan's preferred candidate to replace general manager Dave Nonis, who is presumably seeing out his final days in charge of the Maple Leafs roster.

However, McKenzie doesn't believe Shanahan will be able to convince Blake to take on the weather-beaten reins.

I personally don't think Rob Blake has any interest in leaving Southern California. He's a surfer, he likes working with the Kings and as much as maybe one day he wants to be a general manager, I would be absolutely shocked if he wants to do it in Toronto.

For now, Nonis will spearhead a crucial trade deadline for the Maple Leafs, who finally appear prepared to strip down their failing roster.

Good grief. Thats akin to Charles Manson trying to get on the police force....just not a lot of confidence there.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Dave Nonis is just doing the labor work for Shanahan. Everyone keeps saying "How can Nonis be the one taking us through the TDL?" Easy...Brendan has probably given Dave specific orders and if he doesn't follow through he's out anyway. Everything we do is for the future. I'm optimistic that finally we're starting to hear some news/speculation. Was getting eerily quiet lately.

Yeah I agree I'd be shocked as well if Blake were open to coming here. There are easier jobs out there to start your managerial career.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
what an under whelming choice.

seriously? what has rob blake done as an executive.?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Blake is not a fit here. His lifestyle is too Californian now!

SkateSave

Dec 15, 2009
To be fair to Nonis, he as shown some competence in getting trades done that others hadve mandated. As long as the direction is towards selling, I think Nonis is at least competent. I remember his dumping of Toskala and Blake?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

You make it sound as if he is some southern Californian beach bum. He is from Simcoe Ontario and had a job with the NHL in Toronto, working under Shanahan, before accepting the job in LA.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
(shrug)
it won't surprise me if he takes the job - as crap-hard as it will be - there are only 30 GM positions available in the NHL, and this one (again as crap hard as it will be), if a rebuild is on the way will insta be 40% easier.

but it won't surprise me if he doesn't (because it will be crap hard)

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Give me a highly educated guy who worked his way up from the managerial side. Not someone who's been handed everything cause he's a former great player.

I'll take Dubas or hunter 10/10 times before Blake. I want someone who can do the job well

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Hey Mr. Blake, no previous managerial experience as a GM? Toronto is the perfect fit for ya.. it's what we do here! come on down (or, er.. up)

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
Give me a highly educated guy who worked his way up from the managerial side. Not someone who's been handed everything cause he's a former great player.

I'll take Dubas or hunter 10/10 times before Blake. I want someone who can do the job well

Brendan Shanahan comes to mind

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just tossing it out there, pretty much everyone but McKenzie has stated that Mark Hunter is the GM in waiting.

Once the season ends, Nonis will be removed and Hunter will take over.

For now, Nonis will make transactions under the direction from Shanahan and the management team.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Rob Blake is a sharp guy, a former captain, and was one of the best players at his position as a player. For the last couple seasons he's been the Assistant GM under one of the better GM's in the game in Dean Lombardi, and has been privy as to how they evaluate talent and player development.

He would be a strong hire. But I don't see him coming here. The Kings will probably just give him a bigger role in the near future, and move Lombardi up to President, I'm assuming.

But he has to be one of, if not the best Assistant GM in the entire league at this point. He would be highly sought after.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Dave Nonis is just doing the labor work for Shanahan. Everyone keeps saying "How can Nonis be the one taking us through the TDL?" Easy...Brendan has probably given Dave specific orders and if he doesn't follow through he's out anyway. Everything we do is for the future. I'm optimistic that finally we're starting to hear some news/speculation. Was getting eerily quiet lately.

Yeah I agree I'd be shocked as well if Blake were open to coming here. There are easier jobs out there to start your managerial career.

Spot on.

Nonis is nothing more than Shanahan's puppet right now, executing directives that the boss wants him to execute.

Shanahan needs Nonis for now - needs his expertise, his contacts, and his knowledge.

Would make no sense to uproot the GM right now, weeks before the deadline, and then rely on an inexperienced front office to handle the most important few weeks this organization has faced in decades.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Hey Mr. Blake, no previous managerial experience as a GM? Toronto is the perfect fit for ya.. it's what we do here! come on down (or, er.. up)

Cliff Fletcher - decades of experience.

Brian Burke - bags of experience and won a cup

Dave Nonis - tons of experience

How has the whole experience thing worked out for ya?

Steve Yzerman - no experience. Not too bad is he?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What has Yzerman done?

He's only turned a mediocre Tampa team into one of the best teams in the Eastern conference.

Go look at some of the excellent moves he's made, and the deep roster he's put together.

What has Nonis done? What did Burke and Fletcher do?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Cliff Fletcher - decades of experience.

Brian Burke - bags of experience and won a cup

Dave Nonis - tons of experience

How has the whole experience thing worked out for ya?

Steve Yzerman - no experience. Not too bad is he?

to be fair (because someone is gonna refute this)
Yzerman did work under Holland for a few years and built up Team Canada (2010) before he really took over in Tampa.

But, my refute to that is - there are a lot of people who put the apprentice work in, and they don't do well. (Nieuwendyk, regrettably comes to mind).

I am going to be very, very adament on this because the radio people keep bringing this up. I understand that in the hockey world, there are things that we don't get (ie experience = more contacts more "hey, I like you better, so let's work out the better deal." ways to avoid being fleeced, and all of that jazz).

at the same time. Experience doesn't = fullproof protection over idiotic decision, or insta fixes or whatever people want, whenever they throw in the whole "well I want someone who didn't have something handed to them."

what this team needs more than experience or whatever - are people who can very clearly go. "this is my vision, to rebuild the team via drafting, development, and creating an accountable atmosphere. We will not cave to player demands, we will move you if you don't perform well. We will make mistakes, but not franchise crippling ones. We will not rush to appease the media or the fan base, but we will be a team, regardless of what the CBA/Hockey world throws at us, we can adapt, and be any team you want us to be, and we will always be right there. and hopeuflly win a cup."

If that person hasn't worked a day as a GM - but has the foresight to implement and carry it out - then I want that person. period.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
A healthy Stamkos wouldn't have anything to do with that would it?

Partially, yeah.

Last time I checked though surrounding stars with good players is something successful, smart teams do. And he has done that.

Have Toronto with Kessel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad