Prospect Info: Shane Wright (Round 1, Pick #4, 2022 draft)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Granted exceptional status at the age of 15 and allowed to enter the OHL a year early, Shane Wright has long been the top prospect in the 2022 Draft Class. While he had a tough start to the year, a dominant second half has only cemented Wright’s status as the best player in this year’s group of top prospects. Wright scored 32 goals and 62 assists for 94 points in 63 games with the Kingston Frontenacs this season. So far in the playoffs, he has put up two goals and eight points in six games as the Frontenacs advance to the second round. He also was named to Team Canada for the World Junior Tournament which was rescheduled due to a COVID outbreak amongst the teams.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Surprised as hell, didn't think he would fall to 4. Absolutely set at C for awhile now. Now you can stop listening to the tank for Bedard talk, you're set at C. Wright should also be ready to play next season so might make free agency decisions a little different. Maybe now you go heavier at Klingberg as RD is the biggest need.

richo

Mar 14, 2011
Bay Area
Hopefully, Wright and Beniers develop quickly. Then Yanni Gourde can be the 2nd or 3rd line center. He was awesome in that role for Tampa. I love Gourde, but he shouldn't be a team's "star". He should fill his ideal role. If this works out, the Kraken will be tough.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I have read multiple reports on Wright and the primary issue with him seem to be lack of compete. Getting dropped to 4 and getting picked by us may actually be the best case scenario for both sides. Wright can get a chance to develop in a small market team without too much media attention/criticism (like Montreal). Expectations will be more tempered here. Also, hopefully he uses the fact that he dropped to get more motivated and compete harder.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hopefully, Wright and Beniers develop quickly. Then Yanni Gourde can be the 2nd or 3rd line center. He was awesome in that role for Tampa. I love Gourde, but he shouldn't be a team's "star". He should fill his ideal role. If this works out, the Kraken will be tough.

Or Gourde moves to winger as a 2 RW or LW.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Closed on my first home today and got straight into house projects. When I saw it in social he fell to the Kraken I was stunned! Great pick up. Love the fire and compete right out of the gate when he stared down the MTL mgmt. unreal.

Reactions: NiagaraKraken

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Wright wasn't even on our pick selection poll because who would have thought he would have dropped to us. Now I hope we can draft a D prospect (or two) with a couple of our second round picks. But this is already a great draft for us.
So the polls show you guys didn’t want him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad