Waived: Shane O'Brien on waivers; to be bought out

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Tanguay did need to move on. Trading him so we could do other teams a favour and buyout their bad deals makes us look like idiots. Sarich is still an NHL player. Something SOB wasn't from the moment he got here.
What would you have done? Kept Tanguay and Sarich, neither of whom wanted to be here, hoping that a better deal would magically appear whilst the two were playing uninspired hockey and spreading malcontent around the room? Jones and O'Brien were pretty useless last season, but at least they tried, and didn't whine about their situations. We traded two players with very low value for two players with extremely low value, but improved our locker room immensely. It was the only reasonable option.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
What would you have done? Kept Tanguay and Sarich, neither of whom wanted to be here, hoping that a better deal would magically appear whilst the two were playing uninspired hockey and spreading malcontent around the room? Jones and O'Brien were pretty useless last season, but at least they tried, and didn't whine about their situations. We traded two players with very low value for two players with extremely low value, but improved our locker room immensely. It was the only reasonable option.

Did I not just say the exact opposite of that? Moving them for essentially nothing would have been better than doing Colorado a favor and taking on two of their bad contract.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Did I not just say the exact opposite of that? Moving them for essentially nothing would have been better than doing Colorado a favor and taking on two of their bad contract.
There's nothing to support that was possible, besides, at the time Jones could just as well have had a bounce-back season and scored 20. You're not going to get takers lined up at your door for a soft pouting winger and a has-been D-man who's been scratched for 70% of the season, when the whole league knows you have to get rid of them. The trade was quite fair under the circumstances.

I guess it's kind of a moot point though since we're in cap heaven and the people involved in the trade are all gone anyway

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Best of luck to him.. He wasn't very good but he seemed to have a good attitude and was always willing to step up for his team mates.. As for the trade? I still feel the same, meh, didn't care about than, don't really care about it now

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
There's nothing to support that was possible, besides, at the time Jones could just as well have had a bounce-back season and scored 20. You're not going to get takers lined up at your door for a soft pouting winger and a has-been D-man who's been scratched for 70% of the season, when the whole league knows you have to get rid of them. The trade was quite fair under the circumstances.

I guess it's kind of a moot point though since we're in cap heaven and the people involved in the trade are all gone anyway

I'm sure we probably could have gotten a late pick for Tangs. There's nothing to illustrate that wasn't possible.

Your characterization of Sarich is way off base, he never complained about being here. If we wanted to get rid of him we could just bought him out ourselves, not take a worse contract back in SOB. Poor asset management all the way around and Flames brass agrees, Feasters no longer here.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm sure we probably could have gotten a late pick for Tangs. There's nothing to illustrate that wasn't possible.

Your characterization of Sarich is way off base, he never complained about being here. If we wanted to get rid of him we could just bought him out ourselves, not take a worse contract back in SOB. Poor asset management all the way around and Flames brass agrees, Feasters no longer here.

Yup. It was terrible timing on Feaster's part to make the trade just a couple of days before the start of free agency. No question that trades like this were a big reason why Feaster was fired.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yup. It was terrible timing on Feaster's part to make the trade just a couple of days before the start of free agency. No question that trades like this were a big reason why Feaster was fired.

That's what I ever understood, if Tanguay was such a cancer why did we late until essentially, the worst and latest possible time to move him? Why not at the Deadline, or even the Draft.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
As per the NHL website:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=724620

The Calgary Flames placed defenseman Shane O'Brien on waivers Monday with the intent of using their first compliance buyout on the remaining year of his contract, according to multiple media reports.

O'Brien, 30, is due to make $2.2 million as part of a three-year, $6 million contract he signed with the Colorado Avalanche prior to the 2012-13 season. His cap hit for this season would be $2 million.

tumblr_mx1tlffYFM1qeuqslo1_400_medium.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Still loving that Tanguay trade..
Since it got Tanguay off the Flames, yes.

People need to face the simple fact that Tanguay and Sarich got the return they did because there were no better offers. I've said it before and will again, that trade was garbage for garbage because there were no better offers.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Since it got Tanguay off the Flames, yes.

People need to face the simple fact that Tanguay and Sarich got the return they did because there were no better offers. I've said it before and will again, that trade was garbage for garbage because there were no better offers.

Then just keep Tanguay

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Tanguay didn't want to be here remember? He basically cashed it in once Iggy was gone. Not really the kind of example we want here. He was a great guy and I love Tangs, but he needed to move on.

Sarich is washed up now, same with SOB.

So basically Tanguay for Jones which is a loss, but whatever, it was Feaster...

Who cares? That trade was **** and was then. We could have simply bought out Tangs and never re-signed Sarich instead of taking on 2 poor players for their contracts. It was poor management if Tanguay was worth so little they should have just bought him out.

I said at the time of the trade SOB was terrible and most disagreed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Who cares? That trade was **** and was then. We could have simply bought out Tangs and never re-signed Sarich instead of taking on 2 poor players for their contracts. It was poor management if Tanguay was worth so little they should have just bought him out.
Except Jones played well for usm he did more for the Flames than Tanguay did for Colorado. It's easy to say "buy them out" when it's not your millions of dollars at stake. Owners don't like to hand out millions (it would have been $7 million in this case) for players to go play elsewhere. There is a reason why SOB is only our 2nd buyout since they were implemented.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Except Jones played well for usm he did more for the Flames than Tanguay did for Colorado. It's easy to say "buy them out" when it's not your millions of dollars at stake. Owners don't like to hand out millions (it would have been $7 million in this case) for players to go play elsewhere. There is a reason why SOB is only our 2nd buyout since they were implemented.

Sure it is easier to say buy them out but at the time I said I believed this would happen and would have preferred buying out Tangs then. I don't see how taking on 2 bad contracts for a player that doesn't want to be here helped anything. It was piss poor management.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sure it is easier to say buy them out but at the time I said I believed this would happen and would have preferred buying out Tangs then. I don't see how taking on 2 bad contracts for a player that doesn't want to be here helped anything. It was piss poor management.
how is swapping bad contracts piss poor management exactly? they took a chance that is only going to cost them a fraction of buying out Tanguay. Bottom line is you are still are unable to look at this objectively because of your blind hatred for the players we received, you being right about SOB doesn't change that fact.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
how is swapping bad contracts piss poor management exactly? they took a chance that is only going to cost them a fraction of buying out Tanguay. Bottom line is you are still are unable to look at this objectively because of your blind hatred for the players we received, you being right about SOB doesn't change that fact.

Because he had just re-signed Sarich and he was terrible then its not like he got worse. It was a poor trade in terms of talent at the time I don't see how we can argue that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because he had just re-signed Sarich and he was terrible then its not like he got worse. It was a poor trade in terms of talent at the time I don't see how we can argue that.
It was garbage for garbage. I don't deny that, but it makes sense to make a swap like that before spending millions of dollars to get out from under the contracts. I don't see how you can deny that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not when we could have just not resigned Sarich and then it would have been cheaper to just buyout Tangs.
Sarich was already signed, they can't go back in time and change that. And it;s not cheaper to buyout Tanguay if they don't buyout Jones, which I doubt they will because he fills needs and actually played pretty well for us which you are blatantly ignoring because of your blind hatred for the deal. But I am done with this conversation, it's ran it's course and no ones opinions will change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad