Waived: Shane O'Brien on waivers; to be bought out

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
As per the NHL website:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=724620

The Calgary Flames placed defenseman Shane O'Brien on waivers Monday with the intent of using their first compliance buyout on the remaining year of his contract, according to multiple media reports.

O'Brien, 30, is due to make $2.2 million as part of a three-year, $6 million contract he signed with the Colorado Avalanche prior to the 2012-13 season. His cap hit for this season would be $2 million.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Don't we need to hit cap floor anyways?

A. He takes up a roster spot, either in the NHL or in the AHL that would be much more beneficial for a prospect.

B. Burke is big on giving players the opportunity to play elsewhere if they're not a fit in the organization.

C. Reaching the cap floor isn't going to be difficult.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To bad it didn't work out for SOB in Calgary, he really came here with a great attitude. Best of luck to him in the future.

BacklundtoBartschi*

Still loving that Tanguay trade..

Tanguay didn't want to be here remember? He basically cashed it in once Iggy was gone. Not really the kind of example we want here. He was a great guy and I love Tangs, but he needed to move on.

Sarich is washed up now, same with SOB.

So basically Tanguay for Jones which is a loss, but whatever, it was Feaster...

JulianHopper*

Good..Good..

Flames have had some pretty awful players here recently, Obrien, Derek Smith, Kevin Wesgarth and even Chad Billins.

I'm quite happy with the current management group and am confident they will turn the Flames into a winner and contender shortly.

Flames are definitely going in the right direction.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I don't see the issue with using either. He is probably the only player we're going to buy out.

We only have 2 compliance buyouts, now we have 1. If he has 1 year left on his contract and we need help making the floor it's idiotic to watse a compliance buyout on him. I'm pretty upset.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We only have 2 compliance buyouts, now we have 1. If he has 1 year left on his contract and we need help making the floor it's idiotic to watse a compliance buyout on him. I'm pretty upset.

We have until today as a deadline to use our 2 buyouts. It's not as if we can bank these things going forward in the coming years. By tomorrow, all remaining buyouts expire, it's not idiotic at all.

Compliance Buyout - Wikipedia

Due to the 2012–13 NHL lockout, the salary cap was not to increase to the projected $70.2 million, so each team was therefore granted two compliance buyouts to be exercised after the 2012–13 season and/or after the 2013–14 season that would not count against the salary cap in any further year in order to better comply with a lower than expected cap value, regardless of the player's age. After using an compliance buyout on a player, that player is prohibited from rejoining the team that bought him out for one year; the NHL deemed that the re-signing of a player following a trade and a subsequent compliance buyout would be ruled as cap circumvention.[2]

In 2013, it began 48 hours after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup, and ended on July 4, 2013. The second NHL compliance buyout period opened on June 16, 2014 and runs through June 30, 2014, with 26 teams having one or more compliance buyout available to be used.[3]

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

AF (or maybe it's Calculon I'm thinking of) has been pretty dogged in his crusade to inform everyone that we do not, in fact, need help making the cap floor.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Okay, now it makes sense

Honestly more than anything the Flames were probably trying to show class and give him a chance to play else where being that there is zero trade market for him. We didn't need to necessarily shed his contract, the contract spot is nice though. And as I said, these things expire today so why not use one if management thinks we can better spend the money else where.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We shouldn't of wasted a compliance buyout. I would've been happy with non-compliance

Why? We only have two we can use, and you can't keep them after today. So why not use one rather than have SOB on the books?

I'm fine with this move, his contract is worth around 1 million in the minors, so... Calgary can get a much better asset for 1 million.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Tanguay didn't want to be here remember? He basically cashed it in once Iggy was gone. Not really the kind of example we want here. He was a great guy and I love Tangs, but he needed to move on.

Sarich is washed up now, same with SOB.

So basically Tanguay for Jones which is a loss, but whatever, it was Feaster...

Tanguay did need to move on. Trading him so we could do other teams a favour and buyout their bad deals makes us look like idiots. Sarich is still an NHL player. Something SOB wasn't from the moment he got here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad