Shane Doan's Future

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Traded.

Watching him fade so quickly is depressing.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Im pretty sure he'll retire at the end of the year and take a management position up.

I just badly want him for 1 more year, to officially pass the reigns on to Domi, Duclair, Strome and OEL

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think he stays all season because he doesn't want to leave his family, and I think he signs a one year deal hoping we go on a run.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think he retires at the end of the season or maybe takes a 1 yr deal next year and enjoys an official fair well season. I don't see him cup chasing at this stage of the game. I think playing for one organization his entire career and the uniqueness of it is a serious point of pride for him (as it should be), I don't see him throwing that away now. Not to mention no way he wants his last game ever to be in another teams uniform!

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Doan has earned the right to go out as he wishes. I hope he does get a cup as a player even if it's on a different team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I would like for Doan to retire at the end of the year as a Coyote and take a coaching/management gig with the franchise.

The odds of any of that happening are probably fairly low.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
He'll be 40 at the start of next season, and he's already skating as if he's escaped from his nursing home, so he should retire after this season. He'll no doubt end up with a front office job anyway.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Shane Doan is an athlete, and a competitor. But I think he understands what's coming through the system. I can easily see him, if his speed and play continues through the season as it has started so far, saying enough is enough. He's more than earned a spot somewhere in the organization.

That being said, him being a competitor, I could see him wanting to keep playing. So it's anyone's guess, but I feel he's too involved with this franchise and cares so much about it that he would reflect on this year if it goes down the path it's started in and say "Alright, you could find someone else to replace me, or have someone else come up with the empty roster spot I would give up."

It's a shame too though. I know other fans don't like him, but let's be realistic. He's been with the same franchise his entire career. He's barely sniffed the playoffs, let alone the WCF. The guy is going to be emotional and complain. He wants his team to win, anyone else would do the same thing. So much respect for Doan. If he decides to keep playing, so be it. He's THE Coyote. Everyone in that locker room respects that, and always will.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
As great a player as Shane Doan has been, he's an even better person and not only is that incredible, it's more important.

It's too bad he got the Rocky Mountain spotted fever, or Lyme's disease (don't remember which), as he has not been the same since.

Having Said that, I would never count the bull out, as every time I have, he's shown me different. To say he's an impressive human being is an understatement, we should all be more like Shane Doan.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
I voted yes. But give credit where it's due the guy still has 4 pts in 7 which is a lot more than I can say for a few of the guys getting better ice time and linemates.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I voted that he would be traded at the deadline but only because he deserves a chance at the cup. After that, I hope he returns and takes some position in the organization. With what players we have up and coming, I imagine he lies awake at night thinking of what they will be able to do in the future and he will want to be a part of that though in a different position.
He's an awesome guy and I wish him the best.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'd like to see him come back for one more year. He and Richardson could move down to the fourth line with Martinook.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Traded at the deadline, but signs a 1 year deal to close out his career with an AZ playoff team in '16-17.

OKCDevil

May 8, 2012
PHX North Valley
I think he stays all season because he doesn't want to leave his family, and I think he signs a one year deal hoping we go on a run.

This is my vote. I think he missed his chance to get traded and be a value for a Cup team. But for us, it's important he stays because he can be the grizzled old captain that provides guidance and experience for the young pups. Plus, next season, maybe that youth has come along enough for a playoff run.

He loves Arizona. This is home for his family, he has a big ranch and he's an amazing ambassador for the Coyotes and hockey in general. He always gives great interviews and does so with eagerness and a smile. He's Mr. Coyote as Ernie Banks is Mr. Cub.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Wow, I'm surprised at the number of people who think he has another season in him, or that there would be any demand for a 40-year-old Doan. Regarding demand, I don't think he's going to be valuable enough to bother with trading at the deadline, unless Shane himself really wants to chase a Cup elsewhere. It would be pretty embarrassing to both Doan and the team to have him traded for a third or something in March.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Wow, I'm surprised at the number of people who think he has another season in him, or that there would be any demand for a 40-year-old Doan. Regarding demand, I don't think he's going to be valuable enough to bother with trading at the deadline, unless Shane himself really wants to chase a Cup elsewhere. It would be pretty embarrassing to both Doan and the team to have him traded for a third or something in March.

I don't think he has another good season in him, but I think he'll want to come back next year regardless. I voted and posted what I think will happen, not what I want to happen. I'd prefer he go to a cup contender at the deadline and retire a winner, then come back here for a front office job.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
I want him to chase the cup, but he wants to stay he's definitely earned that right. I'd like to see him hit 400 goals and/or 1000P though. Could hit both if he plays one more year.

He's at 369G and 902P now. That would be around an average of around 15G and 50P this year and next. He's slowing but it's not impossible.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Another point worth considering is Doan's close friendship with Jarome Iginla, and to look at the travelling circus he's turned into since leaving Calgary. All those years with the Flames and now with his 4th team and still no Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad