Shane Doan vs. Ryan Smyth

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yes, seriously. Smyth was selected to play on the powerplay. That's hardly an insult - it's just as important as the penalty kill.

I may very well be underestimating smyth's defensive ability - I have gone mainly on the word of canadians who have seen him more often than me and hisndefensive game is rarely mentioned. I was surprisingly impressed by smyth's overall game in his short time with the islander's.

Contrast to Doan, however, who has a defensive game that everyone talks about.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Besides, making a case by first stating that Doan's teammates were crap, and then that he led the team over those crappy teammates by a significant margin doesn't make sense.

Actually, when you look at the instances when players lead their teams by large amounts of points, it usually has a lot more to do with them, than it does their teammates. I give a player full credit for such a season.

"crap teammates", as in, the "should be 2nd liners" who finish 2nd and 3rd behind a dominant teammate, are of a more or less contant value. We're talking 45-60 point guys from 1997-the present. Leading said players by a large amount is impressive when you think about what it means about the player's ability to produce with anyone and the "anyone"'s inability to produce with anyone but the good player.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The 'bure effect' was that he saw a crap ton of ice time - more than most defensemen, and his team basically just fed him the puck whenever they got it. I don't think either case applies to Doan or Smyth.

Teammates don't affect a player's scoring all the time, but linemates definitely do. That's why I brought up Doug Weight for Smythe, but apparently some of smyth's best seasons were after Weight left, so that probably wasn't fair.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
I am unsure but who did Doan play with for the Coyotes when they had Roenick, and Keith Tzatchuk? They had some pretty good talent when they first moved.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Roenick left phoenix in 2001 - most of doan's good seasons including his three best seasons were all after that. When did weight leave Edmonton?

Last edited:

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Weight left the Oilers to join the Blues for the 2000/2001 season after putting up 90 points as an Oiler.

CloudReader

Jan 31, 2005
Montreal
That's why I brought up Doug Weight for Smythe, but apparently some of smyth's best seasons were after Weight left, so that probably wasn't fair.

You can even take it further than that. Smyth's centers pretty much always had their career best seasons with him on their wing -Weight, Marchant, Comrie, Horcoff, Kopitar. That's no coincidence; Ryan Smyth is an easy player to play with. He actually has/had good passing skills and his straight-to-the-net style is very easy to mesh with and certainly always fills a need. There was a season where he had to play a stretch as top line center due to Oilers injuries, he did ok on defense and was actually +50% on faceoffs. Pretty versatile player.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I am unsure but who did Doan play with for the Coyotes when they had Roenick, and Keith Tzatchuk? They had some pretty good talent when they first moved.

Doan was a third/fourth liner when those guys were racking up points here.

Before the last few years Doan's best line mates were Ladislav Nagy and one season of Peter Mueller. Also played with a young Danny Briere and Daymond Langkow.

Post lockout he spent most of his time with Steven Reinprecht till he was traded.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Doan was a third/fourth liner when those guys were racking up points here.
Doan played on 1st line with Roenick and Tkachuk in 1999-00 and 2000-01.

@TDMM: Nagy fell off as combination of injuries and sudden complacency. He was at his best when he played aggressively, and he seemed to have lost that drive totally once he left Phoenix.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Whatever happened to Nagy? He was pretty good for a little while

Doan played on 1st line with Roenick and Tkachuk in 1999-00 and 2000-01.

@TDMM: Nagy fell off as combination of injuries and sudden complacency. He was at his best when he played aggressively, and he seemed to have lost that drive totally once he left Phoenix.

What MadArcand said. I'm not sure what he was like to start the season but once he got to Dallas he was terrible. His playoffs with the Stars was disappointing. Canucks were targeting him since he was so afraid of getting hit.

Seanconn*

^ AWESOME AVATAR :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Fallout is the absolute greatest...

gotta go with Smyth... much better goal scorer, and better in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad