Confirmed with Link: Shane Doan named Special Advisor to the General Manager

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I would have both Nylander and a Marner’s name out there to judge what kind of interest there is.
It doesn’t mean trade but is there a core D that might be available as a result.
The team should work on re-signing Matthews but be ready in the event Nylander wants a big dollar and Marner wants as much as Matthews. Proactive not reactive.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Shane Doan’s decision to accept a position with the Toronto Maple Leafs this week had nothing to do with the current state of the Arizona Coyotes, who still are looking for a permanent new facility to call home here in Arizona.

“This has nothing to do with that,” Doan told Arizona Sports’ Burns & Gambo. “…this was more of an opportunity that came up with a friend in a spot that it doesn’t come up very often.”

The “friend” Doan is referencing is Brad Treliving, whom the Leafs recently hired as general manager.

Doan, the former Coyotes captain, is leaving an advisor role with Arizona to serve as “special advisor” to Treliving with the Leafs.

The two are pals from Treliving’s tenure as Coyotes assistant general manager from 2007-14.

Doan said taking the job with the Leafs was a “hard decision.”

“The opportunity to work for the Coyotes was special and I didn’t take that lightly and I enjoyed it,” Doan said.

However, the chance to work for the Maple Leafs was simply to good to pass up, Doan said.

“There are certain teams that kind of embody the entire league, and there’s not very many of those,” Doan said. “…Toronto is that for the NHL and so to get the opportunity, it doesn’t come along very often and is unique and I was excited.”

Doan said the fact that Toronto, led by Arizona native Auston Matthews, is such a good team at this point also was a factor in his decision.

“I think they’ve got a great team,” Doan said. “The hardest thing to do in the NHL is to get elite talent and they have that. When an opening like that comes up, you have to be willing to understand that it might not come up again and that’s probably it as much as anything.”

Reactions: HEAVY DUTY

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
OR , they brought Doan in for the opposite reason. A guy Matthews idolized and has a good relationship with who can influence Matthews to take a team friendly deal in order for team success.
How many players and coaches on other teams have flat out said or hinted that they’ve taken team friendly deal because they want to win? It’s a common theme when teams roll through Toronto.

The players know their deals are not conducing to winning.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
How many players and coaches on other teams have flat out said or hinted that they’ve taken team friendly deal because they want to win? It’s a common theme when teams roll through Toronto.

The players know their deals are not conducing to winning.
Did the players even say they want to win?
Sure they say they like it here, like the city, like the teammates but was it a Stamkos “we have unfinished business”, McDavid “Cup or Bust”, MacKinnon “I’d take less to win” etc.

Was there fire? Disappointment?

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sure they say they like it here, like the city, like the teammates but was it a Stamkos “we have unfinished business”, McDavid “Cup or Bust”, MacKinnon “I’d take less to win” etc.

Playing for the Leafs is like working at Canada Post……..mail it in, get paid, go home early………

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes, they repeatedly talked about how the cup was the only goal, even after winning their first series in decades, and they were obviously incredibly disappointed with the loss.
How many players and coaches on other teams have flat out said or hinted that they’ve taken team friendly deal because they want to win?
Not very many, and it's easy to claim that. None of them actually did.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022

Nylander downplayed himself all season long saying only thing that matters is winning, not him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthew Knies arrived at Shane Doan’s front door on Thursday with a No. 23 Leafs sweater, the number that Knies happens to wear. Doan’s son Josh has been a friend of Knies since childhood. And the elder Doan has watched with interest as Knies’ NHL career got off the ground this past spring. He coached Matthew Knies when the Leafs rookie was a kid.

“It’s exciting to watch him play and to see what he did in the playoffs,” Doan said. “He’s got a long way to go and a lot to learn, but he’s heading in the right direction.”

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The Leafs aren't asking 34 who the coach can be or who his line mates have to be, and certainly not how much money to pay UFAs. The team will just negotiate and see if they can come to a deal.

Koho has gone into some “I’ll just make up random crap about Matthews to make him look bad every post” mode lately which is really unfortunate because someone who doesn’t know better will read this junk and think it’s true and perpetuate it

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It’s the first significant hiring made by Treliving, just more than a week after he became the Leafs GM in the wake of the firing of Kyle Dubas.

Many in the hockey world figured Doan, who was Arizona’s chief hockey development officer, would be a Coyote for life in some form. As 28 years with the same organization is a long time service. The thought of seeing Shane Doan with a different organization other than the Arizona Coyotes seemed impossible. But Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving was persuasive in his pursuit of the former NHL player of 21 seasons and that was the biggest factor in Doan's decision to leave his position as chief hockey development officer and head north to become a special advisor to the general manager.

After he was a first-round pick by the Jets in 1995, Doan spent one season in Winnipeg before the team moved to Arizona. He didn’t play one game for another organization, amassing 972 points in 1,540 games before he retired after the 2016-17 season. Doan’s No. 19 was retired by the Coyotes four years ago.

The lure of his relationships with Treliving, Matthews and Knies, as well as a chance to have a greater hands-on hockey role with a club such as the Leafs, was too much for Doan to ignore.

“It’s the Toronto Maple Leafs,” Doan said on Friday. “It’s one of the premier — not just hockey franchises — sports franchises in the world. That doesn’t come along very often. You combine that with the relationships that I had with Brad and some of the other guys, it made it so it was something that I couldn’t pass up".

“I don’t care if you love the Leafs or hate the Leafs, which a lot of people do, you can’t ignore the fact that it is where hockey is so huge and … is special.”

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's exactly Why he's here.

No it isn’t. Matthew decision to stay or go isnt going to be decided by if his childhood idol is here or not. Doan is here because he’s considered a good hockey mind and has a preexisting relationship with Treliving

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No, it may be a very small part of why he is here.
I don’t want Doan to be here as some sort of play for Matthews. It’s crazy you have to bring one guy in to keep another. If Matthews doesn’t want to be here then get out. But he hasn’t said that to date.

I want Treliving and Doan here because they have a vision. The vision it takes 23 guys to win. The vision that playoffs are different and it takes a hard working, blue collar effort with skill to get it done. Not what we’ve been doing. Because it takes depth and no player is bigger than the team. That’s who I want here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad