Shane Doan appreciation thread

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think it's nice when a player plays his entire career with same organization. At least he'll get his number retired. Don't know the guy personally, but apparently he did something wrong to upset so many people on here, so won't comment more, but can anyone tell me what was wrong with him?
Just tough to respect a pro athlete who loves losing so much is all.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I think it's nice when a player plays his entire career with same organization. At least he'll get his number retired. Don't know the guy personally, but apparently he did something wrong to upset so many people on here, so won't comment more, but can anyone tell me what was wrong with him?

Dirty player that plays in a low profile market. No one in the media actually cares to watch him play so they just celebrate him for being a loyal good ol' Alberta boy and that makes his dirty plays more infuriating.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What does that have to do with what I'm saying?

The poster claimed Doan put everything aside from hockey as top priority. What's everything aside from hockey? Family and personal life. Is that a valid reason to not appreciate a players career? I don't think so.

My point is if your family wants to stay somewhere but you still move them for your own career, it's pretty evident that hockey takes top priority in that case. I am only talking about Doans case not other players.

Moving them isn't what he had to do... actually caring about winning... even in Arizona was. Winning was the LAST thing he cared about, and was shocked and dismayed that his best friend on the team would rather go somewhere to try to win than stay and hangout on the golf course.

Doan is the captain and the captain sets the tone in the locker room. Doan was clearly content with early off-seasons starting in April every year.

The comments he made about the Hanzal trade made it obvious he didn't give a damn about winning hockey games. He should never have been captain of that team.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
I don't think Doan was loyal at all. I think that AZ aligned with what was most important in his life: his ranch and the early offseasons

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Played along time apparently, don't think I've seen 5 of his games. Anyway congrats on 400 goals, that's averaging 20 a year, not bad.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Some of you have a sad perspective of life and act like you know how Doan should have lived his life and career.

Happy retirement, if it is whats up.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I don't think Doan was loyal at all. I think that AZ aligned with what was most important in his life: his ranch and the early offseasons

You left out his family, but this is probably the most accurate post here.

No judgment though. I'm sure he valued his family above the playoffs and competing for a Stanley Cup.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

If he was so motivated by early off seasons, why did Doan go to the world championships six times?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
career highlight:

doan-face.jpg

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I don't mind he was loyal to one messy franchise for a long time. I mind that he was a dirty ****ing player and should not at all be categorized as a real leader.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
EZ golds?

Was it easy golds (not really true for Canada at the World Championship level) or was it finishing the season early?

6 times in 20 years... real commitment. :sarcasm:

Other than Ryan Smyth no Canadian during Doan's career went to that tournament more than he did. It wouldn't make sense if he just wanted to finish his year as soon as possible.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What's with all this "he loves losing" crap? He stayed loyal to his team and I respect that a lot.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Have no issues with Doan staying in AZ and prioritizing his family above all, that's his decision and I can't fault him on that. My issue is he is a dirty player and a whinner but somehow is seen as a saint, where other players do the same and are seen as villains.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
What a loser. Instead of playing over 1,500 games and scoring nearly 1,000 points in the NHL, he could have spent his time racking up over 10,000 posts on an internet message board.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What's with all this "he loves losing" crap? He stayed loyal to his team and I respect that a lot.

Players can stay loyal while clearly wanting to win. He has never shown the desire to win. He's always accepting of losing ways and when his teammates show the desire to win he's shocked that they aren't as accepting of the situation add he is.

Mikko Koivu has always shown the desire to win in Minnesota. When the team was losing he was visibly frustrated about things, needing them to change. Doan just shrugs his shoulders and checks out on his team waiting for the off-season.

As for Doan paying in the wc 6 times, he had 13 other chances too and would've been a no brainer add to the team, but he didn't want to.

Sorry, he just didn't care.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
What a loser. Instead of playing over 1,500 games and scoring nearly 1,000 points in the NHL, he could have spent his time racking up over 10,000 posts on an internet message board.

Or he could've used that one-in-a-million gift of his to try and actually win something of substance in the NHL instead of accomplishing about as much in the playoffs as your aforementioned Internet poster.

Zero respect for a guy who played only where the spotlight and pressure were the lowest, and yet still managed to bring about controversy through his dirty play and off-ice antics. He never deserved to win it all, and it's fitting that if he retires now, he does so without a ring or even a Finals appearance.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Or he could've used that one-in-a-million gift of his to try and actually win something of substance in the NHL instead of accomplishing about as much in the playoffs as your aforementioned Internet poster.

Zero respect for a guy who played only where the spotlight and pressure were the lowest, and yet still managed to bring about controversy through his dirty play and off-ice antics. He never deserved to win it all, and it's fitting that if he retires now, he does so without a ring or even a Finals appearance.

"Sorry kiddos, say goodbye to your lifelong friends, we're moving to a big city with bad winter because a handful of hockey fans won't respect me unless I use my one-in-a-million gift to try to win a sporting competition."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad