Shane Doan appreciation thread

HarvP19

Nov 19, 2014

The treatment he was getting at the end of the game is pointing him towards retirement. If this is it, i wish him the best.

I give him major props for toughing it out in AZ. Its a shame the hockey situation has not been stabilized in his time there. I also know he has done a great job contributing to the community there. He has done a great job playing for Canada on the international stage also.

Fun fact, I think Doan is the last original Winnipeg jet in the NHL to still play.

Hats off to a great career.

Apr 27, 2016
Always liked him. Such a great team player and captain. Always stands up for teammates. Jarkko Ruutu said in his book, that Doan was probably the strongest guy on the league. One time he had a perfect chance to hit Doan with great speed, and he was sure that he is going to get a highlight reel hit. He said that he is not sure did Doan even stagger, because he felt he hit a stone wall.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
basically any fans from the pacific hate him haha

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Good Riddance, cheap shotting trash player. Fitting that this dirty punk never won a Cup.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I liked Doan. Would've been nice to see him in a competitive team.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Prioritized everything outside of hockey over winning.

So, now we believe every player should jump ship to the best team? [MOD]

Hated Doan but respect his loyalty. Nice career.

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So, now we believe every player should jump ship to the best team? [MOD]

Hated Doan but respect his loyalty. Nice career.

I have no problem with his loyalty... but to expect that all his friends will be kept around on a sinking ship too - that shows winning was not in his mind, only hanging out with his buddies was.

He should've been happy for Hanzal, who clearly was ready to move on to try to win. Instead he was shocked and dismayed that his best friend was traded away... nobody to golf with in April.

Last edited by a moderator:

perrygetz1*

Aug 12, 2015
Aside from the yotes fluke trip to the wcf he never did anything. Makes me happy he's going out with nothing. I hope the yotes find success without him.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You guys can appreciate him all you want. I look at it as a wasted career. And "Toughing it out in Phoenix", give me a break. He was just comfortable with zero pressure and not winning. I sense he had some regret as he started to say some odd things this season in complaining about the coyotes selling off assets at the trade deadline.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
How dare he! I mean it's always hockey #1 and family and life #2 right?

The man stayed loyal, it's hard to come by in today's day and age. I appreciate that.

Eh, you can play anywhere and still have family as #1 priority. You're making millions and your kids can go to great schools.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Eh, you can play anywhere and still have family as #1 priority. You're making millions and your kids can go to great schools.

I don't agree with that statement. If his family loved Phoenix and wanted to stay that's putting family priority as #1 and self priority as #2.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't agree with that statement. If his family loved Phoenix and wanted to stay that's putting family priority as #1 and self priority as #2.

Lots of great fathers in the NHL go to teams with a better chance to win. It doesn't mean family is not #1.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Lots of great fathers in the NHL go to teams with a better chance to win. It doesn't mean family is not #1.

What does that have to do with what I'm saying?

The poster claimed Doan put everything aside from hockey as top priority. What's everything aside from hockey? Family and personal life. Is that a valid reason to not appreciate a players career? I don't think so.

My point is if your family wants to stay somewhere but you still move them for your own career, it's pretty evident that hockey takes top priority in that case. I am only talking about Doans case not other players.

Elephant Igloo

Jan 11, 2017
A cheapshot artist and a whiner who hid from contributing to contenders so he could hang out in Phoenix and compile empty numbers. I appreciate that he's gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad